hinckley
Topic Author

NH domestic to JL international transfer time at NRT

Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 pm

In a few weeks, I'm going to be returning to the US on a JP flight from NRT, but I'm going to start the day of my return flight in Hiroshima. I'm looking at a NH flight from HIJ to NRT that would give me 2h25m connecting time for my JP flight. I'll be checking luggage, so I'll have to retrieve the luggage before I make my way to JL. I presume I'd have sufficient time for the transfer, but was hoping a more knowledgeable person here could confirm that for me. thanks for your help.

LAXintl

Re: NH domestic to JL international transfer time at NRT

Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 pm

The published Min-Connect Time from T1 domestic to T2 Intl is 1:50.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

hinckley
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 am

LAXintl wrote:
The published Min-Connect Time from T1 domestic to T2 Intl is 1:50.

Thanks so much for that! I was all over the NRT website and couldn't find that information.

spacecadet

Fri May 04, 2018 3:39 am

The min may be 1:50, but I think 2:25 is still cutting it close. It depends a lot on the gates your flights are assigned. You may end up with a *lot* of walking to do even after you get your luggage (not to mention the possibility of being at a remote stand, which takes more time), then take a bus, then a lot more walking. And since you're on two different airlines and two different terminals, you'll need to do both security and immigration/passport control at Narita, which can take a long time if you get unlucky.

You could get there with room to spare or you could just make it. If your plane from Hiroshima is late (unlikely in Japan but always possible), then it could get dicey.

I would say to try to check your gates as soon as they're posted that day and plan your route as early as you can. Make sure you know where you're going ahead of time.

Don't forget that there's a cutoff time for checking luggage (I think it's an hour?) so you really have only 1:25 to be at JAL check-in (including waiting in line), then another hour to get through security, passport control and be at the gate. Definitely possible but not comfortable.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

hinckley
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks for that heads up spacecadet

hongkongflyer

Sat May 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Why don't fly back all the way with JL to make things much more easier?

PITingres

Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Depending on the times involved, you might want to consider using the shinkansen instead. Once you include the time needed at Hiroshima, it might be about as fast, and probably simpler. That's what I found when planning a return from Okayama via NRT.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

hinckley
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
Why don't fly back all the way with JL to make things much more easier?

I'd prefer to do that, but JL only flies to HND from HIJ. As a matter of fact, there's only and handful of flights from HIJ to either airport in Tokyo. I was surprised by that.

hinckley
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 12:04 am

PITingres wrote:
Depending on the times involved, you might want to consider using the shinkansen instead. Once you include the time needed at Hiroshima, it might be about as fast, and probably simpler. That's what I found when planning a return from Okayama via NRT.

Hmmm . . . I had thought the travel time would be too long, but it looks like it can be done in just over 5 hours. I'd arrive at NRT train station about the same time as my NH flight, but with no luggage to collect, I think that may be the way to go. Thanks for that tip!

PITingres

Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 am

I seem to recall that the most complicated part of my trip turned out to be getting to the NRT Express from the shinkansen in Shinagawa Station, and I'm sure it was made more difficult by my not reading or speaking any Japanese. Even so, I think I recall leaving my hotel in Okayama at a civilized hour (9 AM?) for a late afternoon NRT return flight. (This was last summer.) Best of luck!
Fly, you fools! Fly!

hongkongflyer

Sun May 06, 2018 3:31 am

hinckley wrote:
PITingres wrote:

Hmmm . . . I had thought the travel time would be too long, but it looks like it can be done in just over 5 hours. I'd arrive at NRT train station about the same time as my NH flight, but with no luggage to collect, I think that may be the way to go. Thanks for that tip!

Travelling on the high speed train is a better option especially the flight you trying to catch is a long haul flight to USA. I think you won't want to miss it.

hinckley
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 9:27 am

PITingres wrote:
I seem to recall that the most complicated part of my trip turned out to be getting to the NRT Express from the shinkansen in Shinagawa Station, and I'm sure it was made more difficult by my not reading or speaking any Japanese. Even so, I think I recall leaving my hotel in Okayama at a civilized hour (9 AM?) for a late afternoon NRT return flight. (This was last summer.) Best of luck!

Yes, the more I look at this option, the more I like it. I can leave Hiroshima at 9:35 with the same transfer at Shinagawa that gets me to NRT before 3 pm - plenty of time for my 6:15 flight to BOS. I may even have time to grab a shower in the lounge before the flight departs.

I'll be in the same boat - no Japanese and my first trip to Japan. But by the time I take this train, I'll have been traveling around the country for a couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll be a (semi) pro by then! I presume this route is covered by the Japan Rail Pass?

PITingres

Sun May 06, 2018 3:34 pm

hinckley wrote:
I presume this route is covered by the Japan Rail Pass?

That, I couldn't say. I was there on business and I paid for each ticket individually.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

hongkongflyer

Sun May 06, 2018 4:03 pm

hinckley wrote:
PITingres wrote:

Yes, the more I look at this option, the more I like it. I can leave Hiroshima at 9:35 with the same transfer at Shinagawa that gets me to NRT before 3 pm - plenty of time for my 6:15 flight to BOS. I may even have time to grab a shower in the lounge before the flight departs.

I'll be in the same boat - no Japanese and my first trip to Japan. But by the time I take this train, I'll have been traveling around the country for a couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll be a (semi) pro by then! I presume this route is covered by the Japan Rail Pass?

Japanese has many different combination of rail pass for you to chose, you may spend some time to see which pass suit you most.
But bear in mind some pass must be buy in advance outside Japan (then redeem the actual ticket at JR station).

In addition, JR has Narita Express from major stations in Tokyo which should be covered by rail pass.

Buying railway tickets individually can be very expensive, in some case,
you pass become break-even with just 2-3 long inter-city trips, then basically you get free JR services within the cities in the remaining days.

zakuivcustom

Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 pm

hinckley wrote:
PITingres wrote:

It would be covered by Japan Rail Pass (The "regular" one), but you have to be careful, as you can't use the fastest Shinkansen trains (Nozomi services), which is what the 0935 train is. From Hiroshima on Japan Rail Pass would mean you have to change trains at Shin-Osaka or Okayama (or possibly some other intermediate station like Himeji), by first riding on Kodama trains (All stops, most only goes to Okayama from Hiroshima) or Sakura/Hikari trains (Skip-stop, but IIRC non of them go past Shin-Osaka), transfer to a Hikari train to Tokyo (Hikari trains to/from Tokyo does not go west of Okayama).

The two most "seamless" connection would be 0853 Kodama Train to Okayama (Arrive Okayama 1020), then change to the 1023 Hikari train from Okayama to Tokyo (Arrive Shinagawa 1433/Tokyo 1440), or the Kodama train an hour later (0959), arriving at Shinagawa at 1533/Tokyo 1540. Both options would give you time to take the N'EX (Narita Express) departing at 1449 (or 1549), arriving at NRT around 4pm (or 5pm if you take the later train).

Another alternatives to N'EX from Tokyo Stn. would be using Express Bus.

http://honyaku.j-server.com/LUCKEISEIB/ ... 1525706559
http://accessnarita.com/en/

The Keisei one departs every 20 mins, while the "Access Narita" bus departs (at peak hour) every 10 mins. Both gets you to NRT in about 1 hr 15 mins.

If you pay for the Shinkansen ticket, though, then, yes, you can take any Nozomi trains (There are like 3/hr IIRC) and get to Tokyo much quicker. It's definitely not cheap, though.

You can choose to fly into HND and take the train (or bus) to NRT also. It does take about 1.5hr (With the direct "Access Sp. Exp." Train and also bus), but the frequency is much higher (18/day, 10 on NH and 8 on JL).

hinckley
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
It would be covered by Japan Rail Pass (The "regular" one), but you have to be careful, as you can't use the fastest Shinkansen trains (Nozomi services), which is what the 0935 train is.

This is a great forum, and I can't thank the experts enough. I've travels quite a bit of the world for the past 35 years, but I knew I'd have learning curve traveling to Japan for the first time, so again, I thank you for the help.

I've ordered a JR Green Pass which I thought just allowed me to travel in 1st Class. But are you saying that that type of JR Pass will not allow me to travel on any of the Shinkansen trains (which admittedly I was counting on for a lot of my other travel)?

hinckley
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm

hinckley wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
This is a great forum, and I can't thank the experts enough. I've travels quite a bit of the world for the past 35 years, but I knew I'd have learning curve traveling to Japan for the first time, so again, I thank you for the help.

I've ordered a JR Green Pass which I thought just allowed me to travel in 1st Class. But are you saying that that type of JR Pass will not allow me to travel on any of the Shinkansen trains (which admittedly I was counting on for a lot of my other travel)?

Well I feel like a complete noob now and have just confirmed what I was fearing - my pass does not cover the Shinkansen trains. No pass does apparently. Well, back to the drawing board. Many thanks again.

zakuivcustom

Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm

hinckley wrote:
hinckley wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Well I feel like a complete noob now and have just confirmed what I was fearing - my pass does not cover the Shinkansen trains. No pass does apparently. Well, back to the drawing board. Many thanks again.

If you got the JR Green Pass, it SHOULD cover Shinkansen.

On Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen, which is what you'll be riding between Tokyo & Hiroshima, there are 5 different trains: (Tokaido Shinkansen goes from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka via Nagoya, Sanyo Shinkansen is the "western extension" of the line that goes from Shin-Osaka to Hakata Stn. in Fukuoka via Okayama and Hiroshima. Further south is the Kyushu Shinkansen extension, which goes from Hakata Stn. to Kagoshima-Chuo Stn. via Kumamoto)
- Kodama: The all-stop train. Usually run between Tokyo - Nagoya/Shin-Osaka, and (Shin-Osaka -) Okayama - Hakata. You CAN ride on this train with JR Pass (Green or Ordinary)
- Hikari: Skip-Stop Train. From/To Tokyo it runs as far west as Okayama. There used to be way more Hikari trains within Sanyo Shinkansen (Between Shin-Osaka and Hakata), but those are getting much rarer these days. You CAN ride on this train with JR Pass (Green or Ordinary)
- Sakura: Skip-Stop Train, same class as Hikari. These trains run on Sanyo Shinkansen and through to Kyushu Shinkansen, usually from Shin-Osaka to Kagoshima-Chuo via Hakata. Largely replaced Hikari on Sanyo Shinkansen segment. Similar to Hikari, you CAN ride on this train with JR Pass (Green or Ordinary)
- Nozomi: The fastest train, stops only at the largest stations. You CANNOT use JR Pass to ride on this train. (This would be similar to ICE-Sprinter on the German network)
- Mizuho: Same class as Nozomi, except it runs only on Sanyo Shinkansen through to Kyushu Shinkansen (Usually between Shin-Osaka and Kagoshima-Chuo). Most trains of this type runs only during morning/evening rush hour. Similar to Nozomi trains, you CANNOT use JR Pass to ride on this train.

P.S. Do NOT ask me why Japan has to make things so complicated for tourists. Their train system is confusing enough (i.e. JR Pass covered JR network ONLY, but if you try to ride, let say, the subway within Tokyo or Osaka, the pass does not cover that.) Making things more complicated for tourist to, let say, Tokyo is that Yamanote Line, aka the loop train around Central Tokyo, is covered under JR Pass since it's part of the JR network. But trying to ride the subway from, let say, Ginza to Asakusa? Nope. Then there are those private railways. Keisei Skyliner from NRT to Ueno? Nope. Narita Express (Which is MUCH slower)? Yes (BTW that's why pretty much the only people that use N'EX are tourists using JR Pass). Sightseeing/day trip around Tokyo to Hakone? The most direct line, Odakyu, is not under JR either.

XAM2175

Mon May 07, 2018 9:00 pm

hinckley wrote:
hinckley wrote:

Well I feel like a complete noob now and have just confirmed what I was fearing - my pass does not cover the Shinkansen trains. No pass does apparently. Well, back to the drawing board. Many thanks again.[/quote]

Where are you looking?

The JR Green Pass entitles you to travel in Green Cars (where available) on all trains on the Tohoku, Yamagata, Akita, Joetsu, and Nagano Shinkansen lines, as well as "Hikari", "Sakura", "Kodama", and "Tsubame" trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines.

It does not entitle you to travel on "Nozomi" or "Mizuho" trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines, so you will require a separate full-fare ticket to use any of these services.

I feel I should point out here too that the only difference between the Green Pass and the ordinary Japan Rail Pass is the access to Green Car accommodation - the trains covered by the passes are the same, and you can pay a supplement to upgrade an ordinary pass to Green Car on a trip-by-trip basis.

zakuivcustom

Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
I feel I should point out here too that the only difference between the Green Pass and the ordinary Japan Rail Pass is the access to Green Car accommodation - the trains covered by the passes are the same, and you can pay a supplement to upgrade an ordinary pass to Green Car on a trip-by-trip basis.

Kind of want to add on to this, but in general JR Green Pass is not really worth the extra money, unless you're traveling in the middle of Japanese holiday season (i.e. New Year, "Golden Week", or Obon). It's VERY rare otherwise that you can't get onto a long-distance train (i.e. Shinkansen or "Special Express" aka Tokkyu), even if you didn't reserve a seat in advance. Yes, the seats in "Green Car" are more comfortable, but ordinary seats for the most part are pretty good, also (Way better than seating in an airplane at least).

About the only other uses for JR Green Pass is that you can hop into a "Green Car" (Which is only available on longer distance commuter train anyway, and mainly only around Tokyo) and don't have to stand in a sardine can for 1 hr+ during rush communiting hour.

hinckley
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 am

XAM2175 wrote:
Where are you looking? The JR Green Pass entitles you to travel in Green Cars (where available) on all trains on the Tohoku, Yamagata, Akita, Joetsu, and Nagano Shinkansen lines, as well as "Hikari", "Sakura", "Kodama", and "Tsubame" trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines. It does not entitle you to travel on "Nozomi" or "Mizuho" trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines, so you will require a separate full-fare ticket to use any of these services.

Well, I'm not looking at this forum enough! I've recieved better info here than from anyone at JR. To be fair, I asked specifically about Hiroshima-Narita travel, and when told that the rail pass could not be used on the Nozomi, I think I assumed it could not be used on any of the Shinkansen lines.

hinckley
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
If you got the JR Green Pass, it SHOULD cover Shinkansen.

See my post above. I think I was mistaken.

zakuivcustom wrote:
P.S. Do NOT ask me why Japan has to make things so complicated for tourists. Their train system is confusing enough (i.e. JR Pass covered JR network ONLY, but if you try to ride, let say, the subway within Tokyo or Osaka, the pass does not cover that.) Making things more complicated for tourist to, let say, Tokyo is that Yamanote Line, aka the loop train around Central Tokyo, is covered under JR Pass since it's part of the JR network. But trying to ride the subway from, let say, Ginza to Asakusa? Nope. Then there are those private railways. Keisei Skyliner from NRT to Ueno? Nope. Narita Express (Which is MUCH slower)? Yes (BTW that's why pretty much the only people that use N'EX are tourists using JR Pass). Sightseeing/day trip around Tokyo to Hakone? The most direct line, Odakyu, is not under JR either.

I agree, but I have to yet again thank you and ZAM2175. I've learned so much more from your posts than any of the JR sites!

zakuivcustom

Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

hinckley wrote:
I agree, but I have to yet again thank you and ZAM2175. I've learned so much more from your posts than any of the JR sites!

No problem. Have fun in Japan, you'll love that country.

IAHWorldflyer

Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm late posting here, but just a quick note to the OP---every JR Railways station will have some signage in English. It's really not necessary to be able to read Japanese to navigate your way around by train. Just keep following the signs to the proper track and you will be ok. I found it lots of fun. Tokyo Station itself is so large and with so many levels, it can get confusing, but the signage is excellent if you take the time to read it.

hinckley
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I'm late posting here, but just a quick note to the OP---every JR Railways station will have some signage in English. It's really not necessary to be able to read Japanese to navigate your way around by train. Just keep following the signs to the proper track and you will be ok. I found it lots of fun. Tokyo Station itself is so large and with so many levels, it can get confusing, but the signage is excellent if you take the time to read it.

Thanks IAH. I'll have been traveling in Japan by rail for a couple of weeks beforehand, so I'm hoping I'll be a pro by then. I've learned a lot even over the last couple of weeks since I originally posted here, including how to really understand the HyperDia site. So I have much less trepidation now. Hopefully, that's well founded! :D

hinckley
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 am

I thought I'd post a quick update as I'm sitting at NRT waiting for my JL 789 flight back to BOS after two and half weeks in this wonderful country.

I ended up changing my itinerary and going to Hokkaido for the last part of my trip. That meant starting my journey home from Sapporo which took the train out of the equation. Once again, my only option was a NH flight to NRT connecting to my JL flight to BOS. This time, I had a 3h15m scheduled connection and I figured I should be able to transfer any airport in the first world in that amount of time!

So this afternoon I flew out of CTS and landed 10 minutes early at NRT. All good at that point. But of course we ended up parking at a remote stand and being bussed to the terminal. However, as one of the other poster suggested, I had done my homework and had my route planned to get from NH domestic (Terminal 1) to JL international (Terminal 2). And it worked great. I picked up my bag 15 minutes after we got to the remote stand. I was checked into my JL flight in 45 minutes and thru passport control and security in 50 minutes. Like clockwork. But I would reiterate the tip given to me to anyone else making this connection . . . do your homework, know where you're going. It would have taken me quite a bit longer if I was trying to figure everything out once I hit the ground at NRT.

I've now had time for a meal and a shower at the JL lounge and will board my flight in another 45 minutes. THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all of you who gave me advise about my airport transfer, but more so, about how to get around Japan. Everything went perfectly.