United Airline
Topic Author

What to expect on KLM's HKG-AMS-HAM-AMS-HKG, AMS-JFK-AMS? KLM is a top airline?

Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 am

Haven't flown KLM for many years. What to expect on KLM's HKG-AMS-HAM-AMS-HKG, AMS-JFK-AMS? I guess KLM is a top class airline? How is the food?

I know all liquor is free on long haul flights. What about flights within Europe like AMS-HAM-AMS? Do I get free food/alcohol?

jubguy3

Re: What to expect on KLM's HKG-AMS-HAM-AMS-HKG, AMS-JFK-AMS? KLM is a top airline?

Thu May 03, 2018 3:13 am

Move to travel / polls / preferences

Flanker7

Re: What to expect on KLM's HKG-AMS-HAM-AMS-HKG, AMS-JFK-AMS? KLM is a top airline?

Thu May 03, 2018 6:30 am

You get free snacks or sandwich and beer and wine on European sectors. If you travel in economy long haul you can order a gourmet meal online for between 12.00 and i think 17.00 euro's but this only applies on the AMS outbound sectors. On the return the only cater regular meals but i find them oke. Drinks are free of charge. Enjoy you're flights.
Flying blue only if possible

Embajador3

Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 am

I made KLM my airline of choice due to its fantastic service. I always use them when I go to the US. Meals were always very good, onboard service was brilliant. Crew were super friendly. The airline does support its customers when there are delays or flight cancellations (generous meal vouchers, hotel accommodation, ground transportation to/from the hotel, if flight cancelled, they rebook you on other airlines to get you to your destination... ).
Flying Together

debonair

Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 am

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/kl1777

Some flights are operated by the more "exotic" Romanian airline Carpatair on their Fokker 100... A nice change from the usual Embraer KLM stuff!

PatrickZ80

Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am

KLM is indeed a real quality airline, I think one of the best airlines in Europe. They're not cheap, but good.

thgsr08

Thu May 03, 2018 9:30 am

I don't recomend KLM to anyone. Worse experiece of my life.
:checkeredflag:

albertocsc

Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 am

For me, they have usually been a great experience.

Except last time, when my bags went missing both on the outbound and inbound trips :D

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 am

Spirits are also free onboard long haul flights as well as flights within Europe even domestic flights right?

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

Are the B747-400s cool to fly on still?

B747forever

Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm

United Airline wrote:
Spirits are also free onboard long haul flights as well as flights within Europe even domestic flights right?

There are no domestic flights.
Work Hard, Fly Right

PatrickZ80

Thu May 03, 2018 2:33 pm

United Airline wrote:

In the upper classes, as far as I know, yes. Not in economy class of course.

As said before, there are no domestic flights within the Netherlands but in Europe flights within the Schengen area are generally considered "domestic" even if they're from one country to another, however because of the Schengen it feels like a domestic flight. The short haul product on Schengen or Non-Schengen is no different.

United Airline wrote:
Are the B747-400s cool to fly on still?

The ones that are still around, yes. They're on their way out of course, but there's nothing wrong with the ones they still got. Got to keep their service level up till the last flight.

PS I wonder, since your nickname is United Airline, does this have any connection with United Airlines? Because then you might consider Lufthansa which is the European partner airline for United. Lufthansa is one of the very few (if not the only) airline that can match KLM when it comes to service.

Flanker7

Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Selected spirits are free on long haul in eco

Flanker7

Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Hong Kong gets the 777 and 747. No 787 unfortunately.

FlyRow

Thu May 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Don't expect a red-carpet service, with attendants bowing or treating you like a king, that is not the Dutch way. Its a "act normal, thats strange enough style" It's a personal, direct, interested and with a smile service. If you understand me!

On EU flights you usually get a sandwich in economy, or on really short flights a cookie service. Drinks, Beer, Wine is included on EU flights. On Longhaul you get some spirits as well.
Food is you standard pasta/chicken/beef but somethimes they do some quirky/fun things. IFE is not the best in the world, but if you are in to Dance/Trance/EDM you can really enjoy yourselve on longhaul, selection of music is amazing.

I believe Hong Kong gets the 787, that is one great plane to fly on, and KLM's version is really cool.

Transfering at AMS can be a hit or miss, somethimes really quiet and a breaze, next time it can be pure horor. However they do have a short connection lane so you won't miss the next flight.

Off topic: KLM's last domestic flight to Maastricht ended in 2008/2009, however flights to Hamburg/Brussels/Dusseldorf are so short you can consider them domestic. On these flights you often only get a water/cookie service as the flight is to short for a broader service.
Last edited by FlyRow on Thu May 03, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

In the past it was all B747-400. M I guess? Now how many days a week?

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

Flanker7

Fri May 04, 2018 6:22 am

United Airline wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

I believe, but have to look it up, 4 days 747 and the other days 777. But if you check the website you'll see witch equipment operates on you're day of travel.

Im sure you'll enjoy it either way.

eastafspot

Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Crew are excellent, probably the best in this world!
For the rest, KL is so-so...
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Air Uganda, Kenya Airways and Rwandair...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki

MartijnNL

Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 pm

thgsr08 wrote:
I don't recomend KLM to anyone. Worse experiece of my life.

Maybe you should KLM again. I had eight flights with them so far this year. Within Europe and to the United States. All flights were on time, had comfortable seating in economy and economy extra, came with generous hand luggage allowance and offered good food and more than enough drinks.

What went wrong with your KLM-experience?

LTU932

Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 am

My last experience with KL was very pleasant. I don't like being sucked up on, so I prefer people to be direct yet have enough courtesy, so in that regard no complaints for me. The very first (and so far) only round trip with KL, I hated on them because it wasn't LT and I wanted to fly LT again (which occured some time later). But I was a child, so I simply didn't know better.

My last trip was, as I said, great. I was moving from HAM back to SYQ, so it was a 73G to AMS and a 77E to PTY. The final part of the trip to SJO was on CM (because KL didn't yet return to SJO at that point) and the rest was breezing through immigration (even though AF had arrived before I arrived), waiting for my bags, breezing through customs and then getting picked up by an uncle and aunt plus my mother for the ride back home. That was almost a year and a half ago.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

usdcaguy

Wed May 16, 2018 6:30 am

They’re generally good. Cabin crew are polite if not overly friendly. Gate agents can be tough but are often nice. Planes are generally clean and well maintained. Make sure you get the right seat on their A330’s or you may feel cramped.