Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Which airline do I fly while in Cambodia?

Tue May 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey all!

I have been trying to put together a trip to Cambodia here recently and as every tourist would do when down there, I am planning to head down to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh. I have already looked at this thread prior to posting this.

However, my question is not about safety but simply more about which airline do I fly on. Most all airlines (Cambodia Angkor, JC, Lanmei) are in the vicinity of $100 return, while Bassaka Air is $50 return. A steal compared to others. However, some sources online suggest that Bassaka might be pulling out of PNH-REP-PNH, and that their online booking engine seems to be unreliable and their customer service is pretty appalling.

Have any of you had any experiences? Should I proceed with Bassaka? Or go for more reliable Cambodia Angkor Air? Or hunt down a Xian MA60 with Bayon Air?

Thanks!
CA

teachpdx

Re: Which airline do I fly while in Cambodia?

Wed May 02, 2018 12:49 am

I would take the Giant Ibis overnight bus both ways, save the money from flying and a couple nights of lodging. Or even take the speedboat. I love to fly, but it’s such a short and cheap hop to go by land that flying just isn’t worth it.

KLMatSJC

Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Or hunt down a Xian MA60 with Bayon Air?

This one.

SJL

Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 am

I flew REP-PNH in January and it was a 2016 built a320 with standard recaro seats. Only 20 people on the early morning flight. For such a short flight it’s hardly worth spending more than the minimum available fare unless you’re keen to fly a type you haven’t flown before.

debonair

Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Or hunt down a Xian MA60 with Bayon Air?

If you are a real aviation geek, a MUST do! Looking fwd to the TR!

blandy62

Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 pm

I'd probably go for Camdodia Angkor Air. It is a subsidiary of Vietnam Air

blandy62

Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm

I'd probably go for Camdodia Angkor Air. It is a subsidiary of Vietnam Air

bunumuring

Fri May 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Hey mate,
My family returned last week from a three week Vietnam and Cambodia trip, having flown on Jetstar Pacific, Vietnam Airlines and Cambodia Angkor Air within and between those two countries. They raved about Vietnam Airlines, said that Jetstar Pacific was okay and described the flights in Cambodia Angkor Air's ATR72s as 'bone rattling'. The other flights were on A321s and A320s, so comparing ATRs with jets is not really fair, but we do travel often and they have had many many flights on jets and turboprops.
Cheers
Bunumuring

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks to all of you for your responses! After looking around and deliberating with times and prices, I have settled for Cambodia Bayon Airlines for PNH-REP (on the Xian MA60!) and Bassaka on REP-PNH on a spongecake that is an A320....

For those of you interested (and for future reference) Bassaka tends to be the cheapest and has a relatively pain free booking process. Nice and easy, within seconds a confirmed itinerary was presented. The fare on flight selection page is inclusive of all taxes before a $5 web-admin fee is added on.

*I am yet to book on the Xian MA60*. I have put forward this idea to my brother, but he hasn't got back to me yet. But I really want to go ahead with this one! The fare shown is exclusive of taxes: these are slapped on the next page (which aren't much), but the $20 travel insurance cannot be avoided it would seem like, unfortunately. I have heard there is some confusion and issues surrounding the booking system with Cambodia Bayon Airlines, I will let you know how this goes.

Cambodia Angkor Air seemed to be very pricey on the tax side of things! Very strange. $1 fare but $50 in taxes?! I did not find such differences on Bassaka. Had the prices been cheaper I would've gone for the ATR 72 because turbo props are fun :)

The other airlines (JC, Lanmei & SkyAngkor) are again A320 family planes....and one cannot book on Small Planet Cambodia's website just yet apparently...

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 3:58 am

Booked on the Xian MA60!

Despite the issues others have had in the past - looks like Cambodia Bayon has got their online booking stuff in order. PayPal is the only payment form as of now. However, a PNR and online confirmation was sent within minutes. Quite impressed by everything so far!

Will be flying TG from CCU to PNH.... an A330 for the BKK-PNH-BKK leg which will be fun :D

debonair

Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Booked on the Xian MA60!

Looking fwd to the TR! So how much have you paid for this flight - was it more expensive?!

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 am

debonair wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:
Booked on the Xian MA60!

Looking fwd to the TR! So how much have you paid for this flight - was it more expensive?!

So the cheapest hypothetical round trip would've been on Bassaka Air both ways for $49 per person.

Instead, I went for one way on Bayon Air (MA60) which was $30.10 for one, and return on Bassaka which was $27 for one. So a total of $57.10, $8.10 per person more to get on an exotic aircraft type. Works just fine to me! :D