Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vulindlela744
Topic Author

Hainan Airlines not 5 Star

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:44 am

I just flew Hainan Airlines (787-8) from Los Angeles to Chengdu a few days ago and was sorely disappointed. The flight crew was not friendly and on a 14 hour and 15 minute flight their was only a dinner service and a breakfast service. Flight attendants never came through the cabin with water or picked up trash in a timely manner.I really question how they have a five star rating for six or seven consecutive years. I’ve flown other five star carriers that definitely deserve it but Hainan just left me feeling underwhelmed. Any comments of others who’ve flown them?

HimalayanFlyer

Re: Hainan Airlines not 5 Star

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 am

Skytrax ratings are widely regarded to be a joke.

zeke

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:54 am

xiaotung wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if HNA bought the rating.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are trying to sell it to raise capital

eamondzhang

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:57 am

It's widely known within HNA that Skytrax's CEO, Edward Plaisted, is being treated like an emperor by the group's leaders and can basically travel anywhere for free (plus accommodation, meal & transfer). All on HNA's expenses. And this extends to his entire family, not just himself.

Try and figure how reliable Skytrax's rating is.

Michael

xiaotung

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:58 am

jetwet1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 pm

It's not exactly a huge secret that Skytrax ratings can be bought.

cougar15

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:04 pm

zeke wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: best one on here I read today!!

EightyFour

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm

They're one of the less bad Chinese carriers, but still far behind the likes of Singapore, Cathay, or Qatar. Wouldn't be surprised if there were some shoddy deals between HNA and Skytrax.

EightyFour

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
But United's 3 star rating is overrated as well.

Hainan and United are about the same level.

Ziyulu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Ziyulu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Let's compare apples to apples. On long haul, they are similar, but on a two hour flight:

United: No free baggage, no complimentary meals, only a bag of pretzels
Hainan: Two checked bags, meals during meal time

Ziyulu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 pm

What about Virgin America? Do they deserve 4 stars?

GE90man

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 pm

zeke wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

Oh that’s going to hurt.

planemanofnz

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 pm

It's not just HU's 5-star status that's questionable - LH's is too!

IMO, the likes of KE and JL should be 5-star, above HU or LH.

Cheers,

C.

CZ326

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:50 pm

I've been on Hainan Airlines a few times. Their service was okay but honestly was not 5 star level. However that said they are much better compared to flying with airlines in the US. You even get meals on short flights.

But yes I agree Skytrax ratings are a joke. LH's ratings were based on a potential cabin product instead of a real product.

Flighty

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Well played!

dtw2hyd

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Let's compare apples to apples. On long haul, they are similar, but on a two hour flight:

Are you comparing United domestic with Hainan international?

Everyone gets a 3-star on SkyTrax.

rufusmi

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I was actually fairly impressed with Hainan when I flew with them a few weeks ago. Good food, way more legroom than I was expecting on a 787, and an attentive crew. Maybe I just lucked out?

dredgy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm not sure what makes a 5 star rating, but I'm assuming it's premium cabins - business and first class - on long haul, flagship routes. I've flown every 5 Star carrier except Hainan (and am booked on them in business class in July) and none of them stood out to me. Qatar is probably tied with Sri Lankan or Kuwait Airways as the worst airline experience I've ever had. I've flown Lufthansa long and short haul in premium cabins and would place them firmly in the "good, but not great" category (though I flew with them before they were awarded 5 stars, but only by a few weeks). Likewise I've had absolutely amazing experiences on non-5-star airlines (Turkish, Oman, TAP, China Southern and particularly Korean Air).

One-off personal experiences don't really count for much. Every airline has it's horrible and excellent days. I wholeheartedly believe that Qatar airways is worthy of a 5-star rating, but I've never personally experienced anything that would personally justify that.

I don't think economy class factors into the ratings (though it definitely should).

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Qatar, SQ, CX still a 5 star when I flown with them last year. Sadly on my recent flight from Beijing to Shanghai with Hainan Airlines and the service is not a 5 Star, they deserve a lower mark than 5 star services and even China Southern has better service than them. I flown China Southern and their lounge were huge, clean and had good choice of food, but Hainan does not offer that. China Southern had also a great food more than Hainan does. The service with Hainan is still substandard same as Air China, China Eastern and other Chinese airline does. Maybe Southern is more better than Hainan does?

kdonohue

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm

I wrote an article comparing the economy class of "5-star airlines", though Malaysia Airlines threw a curve ball by upgrading me to business class on the first leg at the last minute. Nonetheless, it was interesting to experience the service in the back of the plane. Here's the article if you're interested (I can't believe it was 10 years ago). http://www.kendonohue.com/articles/fivestar.pdf

idp5601

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Qatar, SQ, CX still a 5 star when I flown with them last year. Sadly on my recent flight from Beijing to Shanghai with Hainan Airlines and the service is not a 5 Star, they deserve a lower mark than 5 star services and even China Southern has better service than them. I flown China Southern and their lounge were huge, clean and had good choice of food, but Hainan does not offer that. China Southern had also a great food more than Hainan does. The service with Hainan is still substandard same as Air China, China Eastern and other Chinese airline does. Maybe Southern is more better than Hainan does?

HU might not be 5-star material, but the general consensus is that they are significantly better than CZ.

Anecdotes like these are why I never base my judgements of airlines (or anything, for that matter) off of one experience. As dredgy said a few posts up, every airline has its horrible and excellent days. It's just that some airlines tend to have more excellent days (or vice-versa) than the rest. For example, while you are more likely than not going to have a great time flying on airlines like SQ/CX/NH/EK/GA/etc, there is a small yet not-insignificant chance that you are going to have a terrible experience. The inverse is true as well with airlines a lot of people consider terrible, like BA/UA/Kuwait/PIA/etc.

commpilot

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm

I flew ORD-PEK-SHA a few years ago when HNA was still new at ORD. ORD-PEK was a 787 and PEK-SHA was a 738. Service on both routes was extremely professional with a great cabin crew. The food was amazingly good and it was coach on both routes. I was shocked at how much food was served on PEK-SHA being only a 2hr flight, we were served a full long haul dinner. It was by far one of the best inflight experiences I have had.

But that was when HNA was still young and not bleeding money like they are today plus it could have been the regional differences in the crews?!

345tas

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm

After taking six legs of Hainan international and domestic recently I feel I can say with reasonable authority that they don't deserve 5 stars. Here's my trip report: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1384379

The thing is you want to like them, because they clearly care about having good service, but as a non-Mandarin speaker, if you have any slightly out of the ordinary request or situation it's like running into a brick wall.

FlyHappy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

I'm not defending United, but those are really price and market comparisons, not so much "service".

Ziyulu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Are you comparing United domestic with Hainan international?

Everyone gets a 3-star on SkyTrax.

No, I'm not. Read my sentence carefully. I said for long haul they are about the same. I'm comparing United domestic to Hainan domestic.

Ziyulu

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:21 pm

If I were to rank, United and American would be two star. Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant would be one star. Hainan would be three stars. Japan Airlines, ANA would be four stars.