Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andz
Topic Author

Delta long haul product

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

The last time I flew Delta was an L-1011 FRA-DFW so I am a bit out of touch with their product.

I need to go to Milwaukee in June and DL JNB-ATL-MKE is the most direct route.

Are there worse things than sitting in Delta economy on a 772 for 16 hours?

Alternatively, is there a suggested route to MKE from IAD or one of the NY airports if I need to fly SAA?

davescj

Re: Delta long haul product

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am

andz wrote:
The last time I flew Delta was an L-1011 FRA-DFW so I am a bit out of touch with their product.

I need to go to Milwaukee in June and DL JNB-ATL-MKE is the most direct route.

Are there worse things than sitting in Delta economy on a 772 for 16 hours?

Alternatively, is there a suggested route to MKE from IAD or one of the NY airports if I need to fly SAA?

No economy seat is pleasant that long, but DL does have Y+ which is something. If you can, I would go via ATL. You can purchase a 1 day club membership to the DL club if you so chose. MKE has a skyclub too, and it's a decent airport.

On international long haul, wine and beer is available for no cost in Y.

PWMRamper

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Best advantage of the DL 777 is it's 9 abreast, and because of that, not awful.

Delta's IFE is good, and having WiFi on a flight that long is worthwhile.

FlyHappy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Actually, DL's 777 experience is really quite decent, and they've upped their game for Y more then the other 2 US3 since the dark days (IMO).
I don't know how it compares to SAA, never having had the pleasure; but unless you are fanatical to fly the A340 , I'd go with the DL non-stop.

andz
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
Actually, DL's 777 experience is really quite decent, and they've upped their game for Y more then the other 2 US3 since the dark days (IMO).
I don't know how it compares to SAA, never having had the pleasure; but unless you are fanatical to fly the A340 , I'd go with the DL non-stop.

A340s are old hat to me, the only reason for flying SAA is that I can fly on an ID00 ticket with business upgrade if available, the downside is if there is no business available, economy is pretty mundane.

FlyHappy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:56 pm

andz wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

A340s are old hat to me, the only reason for flying SAA is that I can fly on an ID00 ticket with business upgrade if available, the downside is if there is no business available, economy is pretty mundane.

tough choice.
Obviously any J upgrade will trump any carriers Y.
Sounds like you get to fly SAA regularly, but not DL, so why not try out the unfamiliar? That's probably what I'd do, especially as you don't have great connectivity from IAD-MKE .

spacecadet

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 am

It depends on how big you are and what seat you actually get ("preferred" seats are not available to average people until 24 hours before departure, and these include the seats with more legroom). I'm 6'4 and I would personally always spring for Comfort+ if it was available. Comfort+ is already about the minimum I find acceptable on a flight that long.

Sometimes you can get an exit row, but they are preferred seats so you won't know if you can get one until 24 hours ahead... and then you might not. By then, Comfort+ might be sold out. So it's safer to at least watch Comfort+ every day and make sure it's not in danger of selling out before the preferred seats become available. (Note that you have to pay extra for preferred seats too; you don't save a whole hell of a lot over Comfort+).

andz
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:08 pm

spacecadet wrote:
It depends on how big you are and what seat you actually get ("preferred" seats are not available to average people until 24 hours before departure, and these include the seats with more legroom). I'm 6'4 and I would personally always spring for Comfort+ if it was available. Comfort+ is already about the minimum I find acceptable on a flight that long.

Sometimes you can get an exit row, but they are preferred seats so you won't know if you can get one until 24 hours ahead... and then you might not. By then, Comfort+ might be sold out. So it's safer to at least watch Comfort+ every day and make sure it's not in danger of selling out before the preferred seats become available. (Note that you have to pay extra for preferred seats too; you don't save a whole hell of a lot over Comfort+).

I am just on 6ft and my preferred seat is an aisle seat, the last thing I need is to be stuck in the middle for all that time. Comfort + is not available outbound on my dates of travel.

Which fare class in economy will allow me to pick a seat at time of booking? Prices climb the closer you get so I want to book soon and get it done with.

davescj

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 pm

You can pick a seat at the time of booking on any fare that is not "basic economy." If you pick a perfereed seat (not C+), you'll be told what extra you must pay for it (such as a emergency exit).

FCOTSTW

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Uh! Flying DTW MSP HND and back next month.
Not as much as your 15+ hours but it will be 12:20 on the MSP HND DL 777.
DL Premium Economy on the 777 does not attract me, as it looks like a Y class with some more knee space.

Pros: as "PWMRamper' wrote, DL is one of the few to fly the 777 on a 3-3-3 configuration.
Cons: small PTVs, generic Y-class seats.
Unsure about: USB ports. Some pictures show seats have them, some other pictures do not.

Essentials on board:
Horseshow pillow / eye mask / ear plugs combo (even better if you have a Bose QC-15).
Own food / snacks
iPad loaded with Netflix / Amazon Prime movies.
and patience, a lot of patience...

spacecadet

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm

andz wrote:
I am just on 6ft and my preferred seat is an aisle seat, the last thing I need is to be stuck in the middle for all that time. Comfort + is not available outbound on my dates of travel.

Which fare class in economy will allow me to pick a seat at time of booking? Prices climb the closer you get so I want to book soon and get it done with.

You can pick a seat if you buy anything but basic economy, but you can't always pick a preferred seat. I am not sure exactly what the rules are, but on my last flight round trip JFK-NRT, which included five total legs, I was not able to pick preferred seats until 24 hours prior to departure on any leg. Delta reserves these for their medallion members and full price customers; they get first pick. I booked my flight on Delta.com and I am also a Skymiles member (but without any status).

This site also suggests that you have to pay full price to get immediate access to preferred seating: https://getawaytips.azcentral.com/how-t ... 14245.html

I wouldn't pay full price on a long haul flight just for a slightly better aisle seat. It's probably going to cost you an extra $1,000 over the regular discounted fare.

If Comfort+ isn't available and you can't select a preferred seat on a discounted fare, I'd suggest doing what I did on my last flight and just pick whatever seat you can, then make sure you check in online exactly 24 hours in advance and change your seat then. There were many preferred seat options available to me at that time, but they fill up as others check in, especially those with no prior seat assignment.

andz
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Well I booked DL yesterday and told the travel agent I want an aisle seat which was on the confirmation she sent me but she said the airline can still change it.

I will have to keep an eye on the clock and check in right on 24 hours and see what happens.

Thanks for all the tips!

FlyHappy

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:58 pm

andz wrote:
Well I booked DL yesterday and told the travel agent I want an aisle seat which was on the confirmation she sent me but she said the airline can still change it.

I will have to keep an eye on the clock and check in right on 24 hours and see what happens.

Thanks for all the tips!

Come back and let us know what you thought of the flight!
Seems to be a scarcity of recent 1st hand impressions of DL ULH in Y around here.

stlgph

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
DL Premium Economy on the 777 does not attract me, as it looks like a Y class with some more knee space.

Pros: as "PWMRamper' wrote, DL is one of the few to fly the 777 on a 3-3-3 configuration.
Unsure about: USB ports. Some pictures show seats have them, some other pictures do not.

Essentials on board:
Horseshow pillow / eye mask / ear plugs combo (even better if you have a Bose QC-15).
Own food / snacks

Right now that "premium economy" you booked is just Comfort Plus.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/up-clo ... um-select/

stlgph

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Delta long haul has upped their game.

A gaggle of us just went to Sydney ... I was on AA but another airline-savvy friend was on Virgin Australia down, DL on the way back, and recently was in Tokyo for work, taking United on the way over and DL on the way back, sitting in slave class for all trips. She said Delta was the winner by a long shot.

FCOTSTW

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 am

stlgph wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

Essentials on board:
Own food / snacks

Right now that "premium economy" you booked is just Comfort Plus.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/up-clo ... um-select/

The product you are referring to is currently not offered on any DL 777, which is the object of this discussion.

bluefltspecial

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:18 pm

andz wrote:

Thanks for all the tips!

Log into your reservation on Delta.com, you may see an option to upgrade to Comfort + if not, you should see an option when you

I've done JNB-ATL in the back and that extra 5-10 centimeter is worth every penny after the first 5 hours. Meals will still be the same, and booze is free. Wifi is a nice distraction, and the ptv movie selection is pretty decent.

As a heads up, the crew on my trip going down were fantastic, young, energetic bunch that were happy to help. On the way back, it was a senior citizen reunion, that was just going through their routines and not much else. So, it's hit and miss on that route with the crews.

Take a peak on the routings of the aircraft, kinda neat when I went, we flew north from ATL towards ORF then straight out and over the water, on the way back we rounded the coast of Brazil. Really gave you a sense of flying around the world... how small it has become... and the fact you can be almost anywhere on the planet in 24 hours.

Have a great trip!

andz
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 12:38 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:

I flew ATH-IST on a TK 773 last night and it was 3-3-3, okay it was only a short flight but despite being packed it felt less of a crush than a full EK 773.

I hope DL don't have those ridiculous footrests in economy, all they do is limit the space under the seat.

Transferring in IST to my flight to JNB I experienced a first, no security screening between deplaning from ATH and boarding the next flight. Even on the way to ATH there was another security check before boarding the second flight in IST.