Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Hong Kong Airlines Y Experience?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 am

After a change of plans, we're flying on an Air Hong Kong A359 then A320 onwards to MNL after a stop over in HKG, how is the Y seating and service on HK Airlines with it's Long Haul and Regional services? Also is 2 hrs enough time for changing flights at HKG?

hz747300

Re: Hong Kong Airlines Y Experience?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 am

Yes! Assuming you are on time, it's plenty of time. Follow the signs for transfers, there are several transfer locations around the terminal. You'll go through security again then back into the general terminal. Hong Kong Airlines (Air Hong Kong is a cargo carrier) uses the midfield terminal so you should have even more time to explore.

mdavies06

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 am

Two hours is not that long (especially if) you are changing airlines (thus may need to collect new boarding passes). HX has only a handful of A359 which means delay cascading is possible. You haven't stated which airport you are flying from - but note that some routes e.g. LAX and SFO have tight turnaround time at these ports. Weather turns bad regularly in HKG and in many parts of East Asia in the middle of the year. I would only consider HKG safe from weather related issues in the months of November-April each year.
I would just hold on to those bookings if they are already booked and not easily changeable. If you haven't booked yet, I would consider lengthening that stopover time a bit by booking a later flight out to MNL.

masgniw

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm

I flew them PEK-HKG on an A332. I was really impressed with their service. Friendly staff, good food, ample IFE, fair prices. I would fly them again in a heartbeat.

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Re: Does the Tailcone Emergency Exit On The MD-80 Still Operate With American Operators?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:54 pm

To clarify, yes I am flying from LAX and j am flying on Hong Kong Airlines to MNL as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MHG

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm

mdavies06 wrote:
Two hours is not that long (especially if) you are changing airlines (thus may need to collect new boarding passes). HX has only a handful of A359 which means delay cascading is possible. You haven't stated which airport you are flying from - but note that some routes e.g. LAX and SFO have tight turnaround time at these ports. Weather turns bad regularly in HKG and in many parts of East Asia in the middle of the year. I would only consider HKG safe from weather related issues in the months of November-April each year.
I would just hold on to those bookings if they are already booked and not easily changeable. If you haven't booked yet, I would consider lengthening that stopover time a bit by booking a later flight out to MNL.

HX only serves MNL once daily and the service to MNL starts on june 1st (they did serve MNL before until 2010, though)
So, the OP has no other choice for a same day connection ...

MHG

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Sorry couldn´t edit my post anymore ...

The OP is flying HX only ...

But 2hrs seems more than sufficient for an online transfer (HX to HX).
I don´t know the intl./intl. MCT´s for HX but CX has a 45mins MCT at HKG ... Go figure.
As long as your first leg is on-time I woudn´t worry at all.

In case of a misconnect I´d expect they rebook you on a later PR flight (they wouldn´t want to book you on a CX flight for obvious reasons ...) as long you are able to reach it.
PR has a flight at 22.15 (HKG-MNL PR 311 daily dep 22:15 arr 00:25) - just in case ...

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 pm

So, how is HX's A359 Y seats? Out of curiosity.

blandy62

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 am

flew then HKG-PEK and HKG-PVG. For the fare I paid, I really can't complain. Decent food, friendly FA

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if Row 46 is good for Econ?

zakuivcustom

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:

http://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_HK/aboutus/ourfleet

Row 46 on A359 would be just a regular Y row, nothing special to it.

For the experience overall, food is nothing special (but not that bad), FAs in general are young and friendly (although can be inexperience when dealing with the typical "Complain about everything" HKer), IFE is good. For the most part, I just can't complain when they're HKD1000 (~USD130) cheaper than CX on the same route (I've only flown with them to Japan).

hz747300

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:10 am

I agree the prices cannot be beat. Even in J. I would say that you'll have a fine experience. Weather may cause an issue for you, but even if you are an hour late, it's no problem connection wise. Also, Cebu Pacific shares the same midfield concourse and they could just choose to drop you on one of those.

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 am

(To Update) So we've booked all the way up to Davao, amounting to 2.5k USD RT from LAX-HKG-MNL-NRT-MNL-DVO-MNL-HKG-LAX, we're now planning a inbetween to Coron.

hongkongflyer

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:51 am

PanzerPowner wrote:

Try to get the seat as front as possible as the first 10 (around) rows are intended to sell as Economy+ in the future,
these seats have larger leg room and currently without additional charge.