Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

colindm
Topic Author

What city do you think has the best chances at Amazon HQ2, and if chosen what changes to air travel would there be?

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:38 pm

My best guess is Austin, followed by Denver, Atlanta, Boston, and DC. If Austin is chosen you would likely see a new Delta or Jetblue focus city along with flights to ICN and AMS.

masgniw

Re: What city do you think has the best chances at Amazon HQ2, and if chosen what changes to air travel would there be?

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:52 pm

I shudder to think what will become of AUS if HQ2 heads there. I find their terminal area already struggling to keep up with regular demand as it's pretty often packed to the gills. I know they are midway through an expansion that will help alleviate this, but I'm wondering if it'll be enough.

dfwjim1

Re: What city do you think has the best chances at Amazon HQ2, and if chosen what changes to air travel would there be?

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I am going to go with Dallas, Atlanta, Austin and Miami in that order.

dfwjim1

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm

masgniw wrote:
I shudder to think what will become of AUS if HQ2 heads there. I find their terminal area already struggling to keep up with regular demand as it's pretty often packed to the gills. I know they are midway through an expansion that will help alleviate this, but I'm wondering if it'll be enough.

Would Amazon's HQ2 generate that much airline traffic to overwhelm AUS?

Austin787

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:59 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Not just the airport, but also the roads (anyone living in Austin would understand the traffic woes). Plus housing prices (already expensive) would go up even more.

I think best candidates for Amazon HQ2 are Washington DC, Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver.

masgniw

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Hard to know with certainty, but AUS has seen ~40% uptick in passenger traffic in the last 4-5 years, which is directly related to their tech boom. If SEA is any indication, HQ2 will bring with it a lot of demand for air travel on top of already high baseline growth.

Unlike places like DFW, ATL and MIA -- AUS is just not ready to be a major travel hub.

cranberrysaus

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Whoever coughs up the most incentives.