Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Question About Hotels in Tokyo

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Good Evening All,

I will be traveling to Tokyo at the beginning of next year, and (1) this will be my first trip to Japan (2) the biggest vacation I have ever taken as far as distance, new country etc.
My question is, can anyone recommend some hotels that are close to several attractions or come to mind as an over-all good location? Just starting my search and not familiar with picking a hotel for this type city.

TedToToe

Re: Question About Hotels in Tokyo

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Lots to choose from depending on your budget. Are you flying into HND or NRT? I have travelled to Japan multiple times per year for many years but, until this year, have never taken my wife and daughter. For business I am generally outside Tokyo, save for the last night. We have chosen the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Tokyo for our forthcoming holiday.

LAXintl

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Tokyo is a city I frequently visit for work and one have spent many enjoyable family vacations in.

First be aware its a massive spread out city and one the worlds most populated metro areas. While this could be daunting it has an excellent (though sometimes confusing) public transit system.

What I would first do is to read up and learn about the many different wards (districts) of Tokyo many of which have extremely different character and feel from each other. From super modern to kitsch, from very urban to quieter, from entertainment mecca to financial district that clears out at night etc. So study that first and narrow down your interest to a few areas and then start looking for hotels.
Last edited by LAXintl on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janders

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 pm

I think it comes down to what type of trip are you looking at? More touristy looking at historical sites/museums/gardens, etc, or more into the entertainment bar hopping, shopping type of visit.
Also very important what is your budget? Tokyo has some of the worlds finest luxury hotels, down to basic capsule hotels.

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 pm

You really should tell us more about what you are looking for in a budget range. I don't know if you're a 25 y/o guy who wants to use it as a crash pad, or a 50 year old who needs fine dining and a spa.
TedTo Toe, I stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ginza last year and it ranks among my top 5 favorite places I've ever stayed. Room was super-well laid out for a compact space, and the bathroom had an excellent shower AND a nice deep soaking tub. The public areas and staff were super as well.
To the OP, if you aren't looking for the lap of luxury, check out the Red Planet Hotel Asakusa. It's in a tourist friendly area with several attractions near by. Lots of reasonably priced restaurants in that area too.Subway is close, and Ueno Station is a not too far walk away.

TedToToe

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
TedTo Toe, I stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ginza last year and it ranks among my top 5 favorite places I've ever stayed. Room was super-well laid out for a compact space, and the bathroom had an excellent shower AND a nice deep soaking tub. The public areas and staff were super as well.

Many thanks for the feedback, we are looking forwards to our stay.

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:28 pm

Many thanks to all the replies. I am in my early 30s and will be traveling with a friend as well. Looking to just see the city , in a area near tourist attractions , enjoy going to nice dinners , and a few places for cocktails. As far as hotel budget, something reasonable as in 150-200 USD. However the red planet hotel looked super cute as well!!!!

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Anymore suggestions for hotels?

conaly

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 am

I'd say best you get a hotel in one the central areas of Tokyo, for example Chiyoda, Shinjuku, Shibuya. It will be more expensive than in the outer areas, but you will have very short ways with trains and subways to many of the interesting spots in the city-area of Tokyo. If you want to stay out longer at night, maybe Shibuya-area would the a good area, as you have many possibilities to go out for drinking and don't need to worry how to get back to your hotel, as all trains and subways operate only until shortly after midnight. If you go out right where you stay, it will be much easier.

I've been twice to Tokyo so far, the first time I was APA Hotel Tokyo Kudanshita (Chiyoda next to Kudanshita-station), the second time in Mystays Ochanomizu Conference Center (Chiyoda next to Akihabara-station). Both times it was the perfect pick for starting my trips through the city. Each time I paid around 100€ per night for a single-person-room, which was fine for me, as I wanted a real hotel, not a capsule-hotel or a hostel or anything like that. I think a 2-person-room would be a bit more expensive.

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:
Anymore suggestions for hotels?

The Granbell chain of hotels would work in your budget, and kinda thread the line between something Japanese and something more Western. They have decent locations in Ginza, Shibuya, and Shinjuku. In Ginza, you could try to the Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel. It's got decent sized rooms and discounts if you stay more than 3 nights I think. Quite a bargain for that area.
Be aware that in all but really first class places, most Japanese hotels have these preformed plastic bathrooms that are small and not pretty. The toilets though are a sight to behold, lol!
Also, most Japanese bank ATM's will not work with a foreign card. You need to look for "7 Bank" ATM's, many of which are attached to 7-11's so you can get some cash. Japan is still a very cash focused economy, and many small restaurants and bars will not take credit cards.
What the previous poster said about staying near bars so as not to use the trains late is a good idea. There are streets or districts near each of the major train stations that are crammed with small bars catering to the business crowd. They tend to empty out at about 11:30 so people can catch the last train home. Weekends, people tend to stay out all night.

global2

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm

I recommend picking a hotel that is adjacent or very to a major train station or subway station with multiple lines as you'll be able to get to any tourist sight in Tokyo that way (cabs are expensive). I have stayed a few times at the Century Southern Tower which is next to Shinjuku Station. This is more of a business hotel. A few blocks west is the more luxurious and tourist oriented Keio Plaza. I stayed there on a vacation several years ago and was able to find a great deal on a large (rare in Tokyo) size room. I think they have guided tours to sights outside of the city like Nikko and Kamakura which you should definitely check out. On business trips I've used the Narita Express which goes directly from the basement of the terminal to major stations like Shinjuku (Shibuya is pretty close to Shinjuku). But the express bus service brings you directly to major hotels, and when travelling with a family + luggage that may be more convenient.

stratacruiser

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 pm

I almost always stay at the Imperial Hotel, in large part because it is close to my company’s office and we get a good rate. That said though, it also has the advantage of being across from the Imperial Palace, five minutes from the Ginza, and about a fifteen minute walk from Tokyo Central Station. If you like trains, you will enjoy the constant parade of Shinkansen below your window. It’s a very pleasant and well run hotel.

FCOTSTW

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi ryanrap,

I will fly to Tokyo for the very first time in about a month. The first BIG suggestion I give you is to make sure to have all of your accommodation reservations ready at least two or three months before your trip. I did extensive research on Tripadvisor, YouTube, and other forums and I have found this to be the most beneficial piece of advice.

As of hotels to recommend, it depends on the type of hotel you are interested in. There are (1) Western-style hotels, (2) typical Japanese inns (ryokan), and (3) capsule hotels. Although I am an SPG member (mainly Sheraton), this time I have opted for the Hilton Odaiba, which is across Tokyo bay, with either a Rainbow Bridge or an Ocean view (cannot go wrong on either of these). One thing: if you opt for a Western-style hotel, do not get fascinated by the low prices of the Tokyo Disney resort. Although they are beautiful, they are far from city center and a typical trip might take one hour or more by subway.

On my last night in Tokyo, I will stay at a capsule hotel (cannot miss it!). I am booked at the Nihonbashi Muromachi Bay Hotel. A capsule room with TV is JPY 3,300 (something less than $ 33.00), a true bargain for Tokyo city center.

spacecadet

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 am

I've been visiting Japan once or twice a year since 2000; probably 30 trips total so far. Unfortunately several of my favorite hotels have closed (I always stayed at the Grand Prince Akasaka before it was torn down!) but there are still a few suggestions I have that you might either not think about or might be inclined to dismiss if they came up in a search.

#1 - Tokyo Dome Hotel. This is a large hotel right next to (surprise!) the Tokyo Dome. But unless something big is going on, it's not particularly crowded. It is, however, right in the middle of a lot of stuff to do, and with very easy access to a lot of other neighborhoods popular with tourists. (It is two stops away from Akihabara, for one thing.) Tokyo Dome City is itself a small amusement park with a roller coaster that goes *through* a building, which is fun both to watch from the hotel and to ride! This hotel also has some really great restaurants, including one on the top floor that has some of the best views of Tokyo. One tip is to get the bigger room (I think they only have two types) - it's not much more expensive and should still be within your budget, but the regular rooms are quite small. The deluxe rooms are quite a bit bigger, and are above average size for Tokyo.

#2 - Oakwood Ariake. This is technically an "apartment rental" property but it is really a hotel. This is a legal grey area in Tokyo; there used to be more places like this but the city's been clamping down. You will actually be asked to sign a short term lease for the duration of your stay. There are pros and cons to this arrangement. A pro is that you can get very cheap rates on *very* big rooms - it depends on when you go, but I was able to stay in a one bedroom apartment with a separate dining room and kitchen, plus a wraparound balcony with a great view, for about $150 per night. A con is that the service level is a bit less than you get at a regular hotel, but they do still clean the room. Since it is an apartment, you also get a washer and dryer, which I find handy. This hotel is in Odaiba, which is not in the middle of the city, but it is right on the Rinkai line that turns into the JR Saikyo line, and it's only a few stops from major tourist areas like Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro.

#3 - Shinjuku Granbell. You have to be the right kind of person for this because it is actually in Kabukicho (Tokyo's red light district) and could actually be considered a high end "love hotel" in some ways, but I've seen tour groups and regular people stay there as well. It's for more adventurous people, though, I'd say. My wife and I stayed in one of the top floor suites when we went (I can't remember which one; there are four), which was ridiculously cheap considering that it was something like 1,500 square feet and spanned two floors - I think we paid like $300 for that. But you can get regular rooms that are still really nice for half that. Just be cautious because there are *many* different types of rooms - I think some room types have only one of each in the entire hotel, and their lower-end common room types are *really* small. But depending on what you're into, this hotel puts you right in the middle of a lot of nightlife.

#4 - Grand Arc Hanzomon. After the Grand Prince Akasaka closed down, this was my go-to hotel for several trips. The Hanzomon subway line connects to almost every other line in the city, and itself runs through many major neighborhoods (either itself or as one of the lines it becomes with through service on either end). So the location is very convenient, while also being quiet. It's basically the opposite of the Shinjuku Granbell but still can put you in the middle of things very quickly. It also has some big rooms for reasonable prices, and nice views. And it's right next to the Imperial Palace, so that's one touristy thing to knock off your list while you're there.

Well, that's enough anyway. One tip - I'm going to contradict what FCOTSTW said a little bit, because many hotels do not make rooms available at all until 3 months out, and those that do only do so at their highest prices. It's actually best to wait until 2-3 months out to *start* looking. Then, it's best to get yourself a refundable room, because many hotels will have cancellations and you can get crazy deals at the last minute. I always book something about 2 months out and then keep checking periodically until right before I go, especially if there's a specific hotel I really want to stay at. I usually do get lucky.

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you to everyone who took the time with their suggestions !!!!

FlyHappy

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:31 pm

spacecadet wrote:
I've been visiting Japan once or twice a year since 2000; probably 30 trips total so far.

Great insights, spacecadet - thank you! Though I'm not the OP, I've been reading this with interest. If you have any other thoughts/suggestions about places suitable for stay with a child, I'd be grateful.

thanks!

spacecadet

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
I've been visiting Japan once or twice a year since 2000; probably 30 trips total so far.

Great insights, spacecadet - thank you! Though I'm not the OP, I've been reading this with interest. If you have any other thoughts/suggestions about places suitable for stay with a child, I'd be grateful.

thanks!

I think that depending on the age of the child, the Tokyo Dome Hotel could be a great choice because of the roller coaster and little amusement park, plus all the shops. It's not specifically a family-oriented hotel but it is family-friendly and I don't think a child would get bored. There's also just a ton of food there around the hotel, of all different types and price levels. Obviously you could stay out closer to Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Sea if you plan to do that (I'm making an assumption just because most people with kids seem to do Disney when they go to Tokyo), but you will usually pay out the nose and those parks are pretty far out from most of the popular areas of the city. I think it's better to stay somewhere else and then just take the train there for the day or two you plan to go. Odaiba is pretty convenient to the Disney parks, and that's where the Oakwood Ariake is.

I have thought of staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay a few times, which is close to the Disney parks and is often surprisingly reasonable in price. I think the reason I haven't is just that I've actually been afraid of being around too many kids, and also honestly the size of the windows and the views they seem to have. But none of that might be as important to you.