Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

parisien
Topic Author

2 hours enough SQ to AirAsia at SIN ?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

Have to decide to purchase or not an Air Asia flight from SIN to BDO that departs exactly 2 hours after my SQ lands in SIN. Is that enough time to go collect bags, thru immigration and change terminal (and check bags and immigration again)? Also, are walk-ups fares on Air Asia the same as on line? Thank you (find myself in a bit of situation here, due to late departure of my first flight SQ from CDG to SIN today).
Cheers again.

HOOB747

Re: 2 hours enough SQ to AirAsia at SIN ?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Sure, plenty of time. SIN is super-efficient for traveling on separate tickets. You should be fine.

hongkongflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm

HOOB747 wrote:
Sure, plenty of time. SIN is super-efficient for traveling on separate tickets. You should be fine.

Not so, Air Asia has recently relocated to Terminal 4, without connection with other terminals via skytrain or air-side transfer.
So you need to clear the immigration (I assume from Terminal 3), take the shuttle bus (10 mins ride, headway 15 mins) to Terminal 4,
then check in and pass the immigration again at Terminal 4.

tphuang

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Immigration can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. My experience is that there are sometimes more than one immigration halls. Go to the other one if the first one you see is really full. Leaving Singapore immigration take 2 minutes.

n757kw

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I would say it depends on your arrival time. I have spent less than 15 minutes in SIN immigration to almost an hour.

Keep in mind the Air Asia gate closing time. You really have less than 2 hours.

Doable, but you may be huffing and puffing.

N757KW

bennator

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 pm

It may be doable, but I wouldn't try it.

You would have to clear immigration, grab your bag, make your way to Terminal 4 by bus, and check in again. AirAsia is strict on check in times. If everything lines up, yes, you could do it in 20 minutes, but all if would take is a slightly longer line at immigration, slight wait for a bag, a hold waiting to land in a thunderstorm, or something similar to miss the check in time.

LTU932

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Two hours, even when connecting on a single ticket and including immigration, is too short. Personally, basing myself off my experiences with connections that include going through immigration and without knowing SIN, I'd go for three hours instead of just two.

parisien
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. I made it with about 5 minutes to spare...My SQ flight arrived 7 minutes later than scheduled (we took off at 6 pm instead of the retimed 17h30 departure for the 12 noon SQ 355 flight). I was seated at 56C (the last row of the second Y cabin ...aircraft was 9V-SKL), got off normally with the other pax, went to immigration that took more than 10 minutes (did not know that there was another immigration hall, nor see it), my bag was already on the belt when I got to baggage claim area and from there I ran like hell huffing and puffing : First to T2 arrival (the signage is not very good, had to ask a couple of people...basically you go down one level, turn left, I then ran a long way, a rignt turn on to the bridge to T2, up one level and then you see door 1 at T2 arrival to take the bus). Waited 2 minutes for the bus that took me in 10 minutes to T4. The bus drops pax off at Door 4 departures which is where you find the automated check in and bag drops for AirAsia. The automated check in and bag drop took about 5 minutes to complete...I did run all of the way (until check-in and bag drop completed) and was out of breath when I arrived at security.. without the total automation (and running the whole time) I don't think I would have made it in time! Immigration and Boarding are also automated (so only security is manned...and tho I did not have to take my laptop or phones out of the bag, I still had to take my shoes off) and T4 was quite nice and compact (at least from security to gate G1 which was where my flight departed from). So everything worked out in the end, though I would probably not try it again...too stressful!