BWIAirport
Topic Author

Airline callsigns

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw3CeVKUtwE about a Norwegian Air UK 787 approaching New York and its callsign of "Rednose" confusing Kennedy controllers. I got curious and looked into it more and apparently each of Norwegian's different subsidiaries/partners has a different callsign.
Norwegian Air Shuttle: Nor Shuttle
Norwegian Air International: Nortrans
Norwegian Long Haul: Norstar
Norwegian Air UK: Rednose
Norwegian Air Argentina: -TBA-
Which led me to wonder, with Brexit forcing airlines to create UK subsidiaries if they want to base any aircraft there, have other airlines had to create new callsigns for new 'airlines'? Other airlines that come to mind are EasyJet/EasyJet UK, TUI/TUI Belgium, Thomas Cook/Thomas Cook Scandinavia, and others I'm sure I'm missing.
Do they also have separate callsigns? And if not, who decides whether they need a new callsign or not, especially considering the different subsidiaries clearly operate under the same branding?
Thanks for any input.
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Turned into general discussion, hence title changed
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 A319 A320 A321 A343

PatrickZ80

Re: Norwegian callsigns

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Each AOC has it's own callsign. Some examples:

Easyjet: Easy
Easyjet Switzerland: Topswiss
TUI airlines UK: Tui Air
TUI airlines Germany: Tui Jet
TUI airlines Sweden: Bluescan
TUI airlines Netherlands: Orange
TUI airlines Belgium: Beauty
Thomas Cook UK: Kestrel
Thomas Cook Scandinavia: Viking
Thomas Cook Belgium: Thomas Cook
Transavia Netherlands: Transavia
Transavia France: France Soleil

For some recently founded AOCs (Easyjet Europe, Thomas Cook Balearics) I haven't been able to find their callsign yet, but I'm sure they got some. Even regional airlines got their own callsign, like for example KLM Cityhopper uses City eventhough they exclusively fly for KLM, but the KLM callsign is only used by KLM mainline. They're on a different AOC, so a different callsign.

MO11

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
I got curious and looked into it more and apparently each of Norwegian's different subsidiaries/partners has a different callsign.
Which led me to wonder, with Brexit forcing airlines to create UK subsidiaries if they want to base any aircraft there, have other airlines had to create new callsigns for new 'airlines'? Other airlines that come to mind are EasyJet/EasyJet UK, TUI/TUI Belgium, Thomas Cook/Thomas Cook Scandinavia, and others I'm sure I'm missing.
Do they also have separate callsigns? And if not, who decides whether they need a new callsign or not, especially considering the different subsidiaries clearly operate under the same branding?
Thanks for any input.

Theoretically, each "aircraft operating agency" (per ICAO rules) should have its own callsign. EasyJet seems to have skipped this process. The TUI group of airlines are five operators which just carried over their previous callsigns. Things get flaky when an airline on a wet-lease uses the callsign of the airline flying the route, as opposed to the callsign of the airline actually operating the plane.

Gupta

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm

easyJet europe a/c are currently flying under EZY callsigns. Once brexit happens, they will use a different one. Apparently it's been decided but is all hush hush for the time being

dakota558

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Each AOC has it's own callsign. Some examples:

Easyjet: Easy
Easyjet Switzerland: Topswiss
TUI airlines UK: Tui Air
TUI airlines Germany: Tui Jet
TUI airlines Sweden: Bluescan
TUI airlines Netherlands: Orange
TUI airlines Belgium: Beauty
Thomas Cook UK: Kestrel
Thomas Cook Scandinavia: Viking
Thomas Cook Belgium: Thomas Cook
Transavia Netherlands: Transavia
Transavia France: France Soleil

For some recently founded AOCs (Easyjet Europe, Thomas Cook Balearics) I haven't been able to find their callsign yet, but I'm sure they got some. Even regional airlines got their own callsign, like for example KLM Cityhopper uses City eventhough they exclusively fly for KLM, but the KLM callsign is only used by KLM mainline. They're on a different AOC, so a different callsign.

Are you sure about KLM Cityhopper using the City callsign? I almost certain they have used the KLM callsign when they fly into my local airport.

f4f3a

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Easy Swiss has callsign topswiss.
There were rumours that easyjet Europe was going to use the callsign alpine

RobK

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw3CeVKUtwE about a Norwegian Air UK 787 approaching New York and its callsign of "Rednose" confusing Kennedy controllers. I got curious and looked into it more and apparently each of Norwegian's different subsidiaries/partners has a different callsign.
Thanks for any input.

You missed off Norwegian Air Norway : Norship. (ICAO: NAN)

skipness1E

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 pm

KLM CityHopper have always used KLM, indeed noted two today alone.
Does “Norstar” ever get used? I think they went for DI/NRS “Rednose” instead. Seems all LGW long haul is now using this, began with SIN flights with all else DY/NAX “Norshuttle”, but that’s recently changed.

I understand SAS Ireland have been allocated SZS “Spinnaker” but are still using SAS “Scandinavian”. The IRISH AOC is now going to be an issue for the LHR base! Whoops!

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:38 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Does “Norstar” ever get used? I think they went for DI/NRS “Rednose” instead. Seems all LGW long haul is now using this, began with SIN flights with all else DY/NAX “Norshuttle”, but that’s recently changed.

I believe every long-haul Norwegian flight operated out of LGW is performed by Norwegian Air UK "Rednose" so it seems more common than it is. I don't think anyone can freely decide which callsign to use because they're all separate AOCs.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 A319 A320 A321 A343

sevenair

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am

easyJet Europe Airline and easyJet Airline Co. Ltd both use 'easy' as the callsign despite talk of a new callsign. I think it was alpine or something along those line. easyJet Europe Airline is operating as we speak but no mention of the new callsign over the RT.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?

santi319

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 am

Well not for long so..

c933103

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 am

How about like AirAsia or Virgin?
And how about e.g. KLM Asia

XAM2175

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 am

c933103 wrote:

I can't find any record of a separate AOC or callsign for KLM Asia.
British Asia Airways (BA's subsidiary) used the IATA code BR inherited from British Caledonian, but used the "SPEEDBIRD" callsign as per mainline, while QF's version (Australia Asia Airlines) had both a separate IATA code of IM and their own callsign, "AUSTASIA".

skipness1E

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 am

British Airways Asia operated under the BA flight code to HKG, if BR was ever used, it was only on the HKG-TPE leg?
easyJet Europe will surely have their own callsign at some point.

mutu

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am

British Airways uses:
Mainline: Speedbird
BA City Flyer: Flyer
BA domestic: Shuttle

zkojq

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

RobK wrote:
You missed off Norwegian Air Norway : Norship. (ICAO: NAN)

Can you please explain to me how Norwegian Air Norway fits into the overall "Norwegian" family. I've been trying to figure this out for a while. From what I understand they only operate one 737-8?

c933103 wrote:

Air Asia = "Red Cap"
AirAsiaX = "Xandu"
Virgin Australia = "Velocity"
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm

c933103 wrote:

Virgin Group:
Virgin Atlantic: Virgin
*Virgin America: Redwood (RIP my favorite)
Virgin Australia: Velocity
*Virgin Samoa: Velocity
*Virgin Express: Virgin Express
*V Australia: Vee-oz

* indicates defunct airline

ual747den

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I would think that it would get confusing for the controllers in the tower when the same airline is using 5-6 different callsigns.
/// UNITED AIRLINES

RyanairGuru

Re: Airline callsigns

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Jetstar:

Jetstar Airways: Jetstar
Jetstar Asia: Jetstar Asia
Jetstar Pacific: Pacific
Jetstar Japan: Orange Liner
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 am

zkojq wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Air Asia = "Red Cap"
AirAsiaX = "Xandu"
Virgin Australia = "Velocity"

For AirAsia, those callsigns only apply to their Malaysian-based airlines (and AirAsia X's callsign is actually Xanadu). The other AirAsia's callsigns are:

Thai AirAsia - Thai Asia
Thai AirAsia X - Express Wing
Indonesia AirAsia - Wagonair
Indonesia AirAsia X - Red Phoenix
Philippines AirAsia - Cool Red.

Interestingly enough, Red Cap was previously the callsign for AirAsia Zest which was then merged with AirAsia Phlippines to form Philippines AirAsia.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Flanker7

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:38 am

c933103 wrote:

KLM ASIA and City Hopper both use the KL callsign. Flown quite a few stretches with them and never did they use anything else.
Flying blue only if possible

NozPerry

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:03 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Thanks for any input.

In normal operations Norshuttle, Nortrans and Rednose are used. Flight numbered DY are operated by NAS (Norwegian A/S), the D8 flights are Nortrans and now the LGW long haul flights are operated by NUK (Rednose). I’ve never heard the other call signs used.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:16 am

ual747den wrote:
I would think that it would get confusing for the controllers in the tower when the same airline is using 5-6 different callsigns.

Typically, like in the case of JFK receiving Norwegian flights, there are only 1 or 2 callsigns used since the other subsidiaries don't fly to JFK. But what you're describing is exactly what happens at places like ATL and JFK when controllers have to keep track of regional callsigns (Delta, Endeavor, SkyWest, Acey, American, Brickyard, Republic, Chautauqua, Piedmont, etc)

e38

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 am

What aspect of this do you think would be confusing to air traffic controllers?
When an aircraft is ready to push back from a gate, the pilot tells ramp control and/or ground control their gate location, at which time the controller issues them a clearance to taxi to a runway; and after landing, the pilot tells ground control (sometimes Tower as well) what gate/parking spot they are assigned and are issued a clearance to taxi to that location.
In the U.S., most Radar controllers and Tower controllers (and Ground controllers for that matter) have flight strips that indicate the flight’s origin and/or destination, as appropriate, but that really doesn’t have much impact on how air traffic controllers handle that particular flight.
In the case of regional affiliates, why do you think it’s important for air traffic controllers to know the major air carrier for which the regional airline is operating?
e38