dc10lover
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines and Virgin America want your carry-on bags to be 32% smaller

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 pm

The two carriers, owned by the Alaska Air Group, are shrinking the maximum size of carry-on bags by 32%, starting in less than two months. The airlines say the new restrictions are intended to bring the carriers in line with the size limits of competing airlines.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes. ... utType=amp
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of.

TSS

Re: Alaska Airlines and Virgin America want your carry-on bags to be 32% smaller

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Sounds okay to me. I didn't realize there were still US airlines that deviated from the standard 22 x 14 x 9-sized carry-on bag allowance after Continental went to this years ago.

This could potentially cause a headache for those who are used to flying Alaskan and only Alaskan within Alaska and up and down the west coast, though.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Blerg

Re: Alaska Airlines and Virgin America want your carry-on bags to be 32% smaller

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 pm

How strict are US airlines with carry on luggage? In Europe it doesn't seem like they are too strict with it.

WNCrew

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
How strict are US airlines with carry on luggage? In Europe it doesn't seem like they are too strict with it.

Most are not strict at all really.... unfortunately. I've noticed those who profit from it are strict (NK and F9 I think) or those who have boarding policies that are connected with carry-ons... but others let a lot of things get by. Worst of all is WN, with only a single agent controlling the boarding process, no elevator to send excess bags to the ramp and a very hurried process, it's dreadful really.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

TSS

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Blerg wrote:

I've never had my carry-on bag checked for size but mine is exactly 22 x 14 x 9. After years of installing tires on cars I can usually tell at a glance if a car has over- or under-sized tires, so I'd imagine airport ticket and gate agents develop an "eye" for over-sized carry-on bags very quickly and check their dimensions accordingly when necessary.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DarthLobster

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm

TSS wrote:
This could potentially cause a headache for those who are used to flying Alaskan and only Alaskan within Alaska and up and down the west coast, though.

There is no “Alaskan” Airlines...

WaywardMemphian

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Blerg wrote:

Southwest, not at all. Allegiant and other LCCs make bank like a small town speed trap.

What most retailers in the US sell as carry ons rarely actually meet these requirement so when Joe Q Public buys one at Walmart, they think it's good to go. The diminsions listed are often the inside ones, not overall. Some are starting to list both. If they start enforcing this hard to increase revenues, there will be a period of backlash.

It would be very simple to establish a standard carry on size and max weight and the FAA mandate that. The airlines can decide to include it or charge for it. It should also be policy that any international flights from the US abide by the same standard. I know folks that have luggage for each carrier, completely silly.

AWACSooner

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Blerg wrote:

They're not...and because they're not, they've allowed pax to bring the proverbial kitchen sink on board with them instead of enforcing the rules they set forth. This indirectly led to the baggage charges that we see today (but they used the excuse of fuel price spikes to justify it).

Aptivaboy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm

As long as every airline would just standardize (this may be where Alaska is going, to be in accordance with the rules of their codeshare partners to avoid any issues), its not a problem. My issue is that the enforcement of these rules, as already stated above, is woefully inconsistent. On my last flight on HA, people were coming aboard with nearly full sized rolling suitcases and vainly attempting to stuff them into the overhead bin when in truth they probably never should have gotten past the check in desk with those obviously oversized bags.

Actually, a second issue pops to mind - by requiring smaller carry ons, are airlines trying to make you check a bag which they can then charge you for? Hmmm...

QXAS

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

The bins arent getting any smaller, so what’s changed that results in the shift?

EIDL

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:27 pm

QXAS wrote:
The bins arent getting any smaller, so what’s changed that results in the shift?

Fewer pax paying for hold. Nothing else.

ltbewr

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Let's not forget many carrying on so much has been a problem for years long before checked bag fees. To avoid the risk of lost or stolen luggage. If going for a 1-2 day trip and not wanting to waste time it takes for baggage to get to the pick up area upon arrival at their destination. The there is the designed dimensions, but often carry on bags are overstuffed so making them exceed those dimensions. People often also bringing on a large purse more like the size of a 20 gallon garbage bag, on international flights duty free purchased at the airport, some who are bringing on medial equipment (like with me a CPAP machine). Heavy overcoats and so on.

kickazzz2000

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 pm

For me, its not the cost, bags are free.

My last trip CLT-MCO, I checked in my bag for the heck of it.

I waited 47 minutes from door open, to getting my bag at claim in MCO. The time in the air was barely over an hour.

THAT is why I carry on a bag.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

It's actually intended to alleviate a very common complaint among customers connecting to/from international and/or codeshare partners, where the customer is shocked to learn the carry-on they'd had no problems with on their AS flight is suddenly considered too large by the other airline for their connecting flight.

Quote:
We’re changing our bag size allowance to make sure that your carry-on bag will be accepted aboard all the flights within your itinerary. This will help you avoid carry-on bag size conflicts and make connections with other airlines easier during your future trips.

There's no nefarious intent here, it's honestly just about trying to not create problems for customers down the line.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

chrisair

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 pm

QXAS wrote:

They're actually getting bigger on AS! Though I've yet to fly on a space bin retrofit, however. I'm beginning to think I'll see a Unicorn at an airport before I fly a Space Bin retrofit.

I've flown plenty of the 900ERs with the Space Bins fitted at the factory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayint ... /73638284/

commpilot

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Worst of all is WN, with only a single agent controlling the boarding process, no elevator to send excess bags to the ramp and a very hurried process, it's dreadful really.

24" x 16" x 10" is the official SWA overhead bin baggage size policy with the waiver to allow Guitar and Keyboards with space permitting. It isn't hard for the single agent to do their job correctly. You don't need an elevator for bags, send them down the slide on the jetway. The process is only as dreadful as you make it, allow the single agent the full time they deserve to board the flight. I lost count of how many times cabin crew do not help by limiting jackets and personal items in the overhead bins which chokes off the space for the properly sized items to fit. But at the end of the day if an agent tags the bag and the passenger doesn't leave the bag at the end that is not the agents fault.

Super80Fan

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm all for and support stricter requirements on carry-on's, but they should really stop charging for a first checked bag.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

WNCrew

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 pm

commpilot wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
Worst of all is WN, with only a single agent controlling the boarding process, no elevator to send excess bags to the ramp and a very hurried process, it's dreadful really.

24" x 16" x 10" is the official SWA overhead bin baggage size policy with the waiver to allow Guitar and Keyboards with space permitting. It isn't hard for the single agent to do their job correctly. You don't need an elevator for bags, send them down the slide on the jetway. The process is only as dreadful as you make it, allow the single agent the full time they deserve to board the flight. I lost count of how many times cabin crew do not help by limiting jackets and personal items in the overhead bins which chokes off the space for the properly sized items to fit. But at the end of the day if an agent tags the bag and the passenger doesn't leave the bag at the end that is not the agents fault.

At the risk of diverting the thread, a few things:

*Yes WN has the largest allowable carry-on allowance and the SMALLEST standard bins on the NG fleet of -700s.

*Sure the agent could send them down the slide but you're missing the in-between... if the agent takes the bag at the top of the jetway at boarding and ends up with 12-13 bags... then they have to carry them all down to the slide on the jetway... and that won't ever happen. Sure they could tag them and ask customers to bring them down, but Customers won't do that (not WN Customers anyway).

*It is not fair to throw it on the Crew... we make PAs (this is my full time job and due to certain positions I hold I see even more than the avg FA. YES< Crews do what they can, short of taking items out of the bin and requesting Customers move them (won't happen, not allowed and Customers would lose their cool).

Per our policy agents should scan the gate area and pre-check items... never seen it. Agents should use the sizing box at the door for any items that may not fit (in 15yrs I've never seen it.. not one single time). Now agents should proactively solicit to check C-Group bags.. and I see that maybe 40% of the time. Once it gets onboard it's too late, we'd never leave, so everything gets throw onto the FAs to "sort out". In the end, if Customers like yourself are aware enough to complain Crew don't do enough, they should be aware enough to use the space effectively themselves.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HJM

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 am

It's very difficult to control carry-on baggage. Passengers simply refuse to cooperate and gate staff have very little time to police allowance and other priorities like on-time performance matters more.

QXAS

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 am

chrisair wrote:
QXAS wrote:

They're actually getting bigger on AS! Though I've yet to fly on a space bin retrofit, however. I'm beginning to think I'll see a Unicorn at an airport before I fly a Space Bin retrofit.

I've flown plenty of the 900ERs with the Space Bins fitted at the factory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayint ... /73638284/

I frequent SEA-PHX. Only once have I ever been on anything smaller than a 900. And since December 2016 I have not been on a single flight without space bins. Several of them were 900ERs delivered before space bins were standard on new deliveries. So they are being retrofitted. Based on what I could find, 34 jets have been or will be retrofitted, which should cover the sky interior fleet. (900ER+3 ish -800s). Interestingly enough, my travelpro US standard sized carryon only fits in the space bins wheels out. As a result I always put it in wheels out by habit. Gets me dirty looks from FAs on other airlines.

aeromoe

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 am

DarthLobster wrote:

There is no “Alaskan” Airlines...

Thank you. You beat me to it.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K