Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

believeinflight
Topic Author

Creating your own airline

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 am

In honor of Friday, I've a fun question. If you could create your own airline, what would you name it, what would be the hub city, what target markets would you serve, and what would be the passenger perks?

MalevTU134

Re: Creating your own airline

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 am

You know that there are online games for stuff like that?

nomorerjs

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 am

BankruptAir! Turning Billionaires into Millionaires!

The industry has so many barriers to entry (regulation, cost...). That’s why so few get in and those that do fail or get acquired.

SumChristianus

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 am

believeinflight wrote:
In honor of Friday, I've a fun question. If you could create your own airline, what would you name it, what would be the hub city, what target markets would you serve, and what would be the passenger perks?

FlyThere

Based in the US, FlyThere would fly B737-800s from niche leisure destinations such as Gulfport, Albuquerque, Anchorage, West Palm Beach, Savannah, Norfolk, Bangor, Traverse City, Houghton, etc.

Service would be minimal, ULCC like, but FlyThere's primary differentiation would be its association with StayThere, a company offering accommodations halfway between hotel rooms and camping....
You could buy a vacation package to Anchorage, for example, fly there.... on FlyThere...StayThere...rent a simplified car (with plastic seats) from AroundThere and discover/explore the area as part of a package.
FlyThere's goal would be to boost tourism to small destinations, and would be in a way the inverse of Allegiant's model, with bases in large cities, PHX, ORD, EWR, PVD, OAK, etc. and a wide assortment of leisure destinations as the spokes.

Just my dream....

Restarting Comair is another, with the government taking over a certain number of planes from each existing US carrier and amalgamating them into Comair, whose goal would be to....lower fares....especially around elections and for special interests....and serving the demands of Senators and Representatives...DCA-Sante Fe, DCA-Pierre, DCA-Olympia (not SEA)...yes sirrre Senator :D

Maybe its more of a nightmare, think Air India....

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 am

My airline would be called Sheep, nicknamed the Sheepest airline. It'd be a long haul ULCC.

Bases would mostly be secondary airports like Milan Bergamo, Brussels Charleroi and Bratislava. Destinations would also be secondary airports like New York Stewart, Los Angeles Ontario, Orlando Sanford and Bangkok Don Mueang. Reason for choosing these airports would be cost savings as they're cheaper than the big major airports. Besides, I'd make deals with local bus companies to sell tickets for their bus service between the airport and the city to my passengers.

As an ULCC I'd charge extra for things like checked luggage, meals, etc. I'd only offer one class (basic economy) and be totally non-flexible. Tickets are for one flight only and cannot be rescheduled after purchase unless you buy a new ticket. As with most LCCs, I'd charge per one-way. The price of a return would just be the price of two one-way tickets added up. I'd not have a frequent flyer program as I don't care if you fly just once or more often.

The in-flight entertainment system would mostly show commercials, another way to make money. Movies, games and music would be available for a fee. And if you like to sleep, I suggest you start counting sheep....