Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Airports with most/ least holding patterns

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 am

What airports have inevitable holding patterns on approach? Which are more rare?

Whenever I look at Flightradar24 into lhr, the flights always to be put into a pattern.

Rarely happens at LAX.

Weather, of course, plays a big factor. Wha are other examples?

FlyRow

Re: Airports with most/ least holding patterns

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:14 am

LHR for nearly every plane, true flight time rom Amsterdam to London is nearly as long as the time spend in the hold above london (and taxiing to the Polderbaan).

Amsterdam has one very clear just out of the coast near Haarlem, nearly always a few planes holding there.

LGW is another, nearly all planes have to take a extra lap over southeastern England.

steveinbc

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 pm

DXB can be unbelievably long. JFK during thunderstorms can be an hour plus

steveinbc

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:46 pm

DXB can be unbelievably long. JFK during thunderstorms can be an hour plus

Austin787

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Any NYC area airports (EWR, LGA, JFK), ORD, LHR, PVG, and PEK can have long holding times, especially if there are thunderstorms nearby.

Non-hub airports almost always have no holding time.

fbgdavidson

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Definitely LHR. More often than not I find myself in a holding pattern coming into LHR, particularly in the mornings. Similar at LGW but not nearly as frequent.

Have to say I live near JFK and it's my home airport. Have arrived into it about twice a month on average in the 4yrs I've been here and cannot once recall a holding pattern local to the airport. Haven't arrived into many thunderstorms that I can recall...I'll usually find that one of the following occurs:
-Put into a the holding pattern far away (have circled a couple of times over Maine for example when coming in from Europe on more than one occassion)
-Ground hold at origin point
-Slightly circuitous route in when nearer JFK but this was more along the lines of joining traffic for a standard arrival pattern for a given runway rather than an LHR "stack" or paperclip pattern. I've had similar with approaches into LGA.
That said I do monitor FR24 quite a bit when the weather goes south and there are some frequent hold spots that I see, out on eastern Long Island there is a paperclip track close to where the North and South forks comes together that the aircraft from across the pond use. I think the JFK area is for obvious reasons, too congested to have the typical stacks and holding patterns that close to the airport. The Ockham, Bovingdon, Lambourne and Biggin holds aren't interfering that much with other local traffic although they are pretty close to LHR.

kabq737

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 pm

LGA can be brutal especially on days where the weather is bad.

alggag

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Every single time I've flown into LHR we were put in a hold. Most recently it caused me to miss my onward flight. :banghead: