hoons90
Topic Author

Passenger denied boarding on WOW Air flight for not including middle name in reservation

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:03 am

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/09/n ... ff-flight/

Someone was denied boarding at YYZ for a WW flight as her reservation did not have her middle name in it.

I don't think I've ever had this issue on any airlines that I have flown? I guess I'll have to always include it just to be safe.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

aemoreira1981

Re: Passenger denied boarding on WOW Air flight for not including middle name in reservation

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:03 am

If the ID has the middle name, so does the booking. Not controversial at all.

Redwood839

Re: Passenger denied boarding on WOW Air flight for not including middle name in reservation

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 am

A bit silly but I could see it happening, specially from latin countries.

Example, in my family there are 4 of us named (example) Joe Doe. But my full name is Joe Francis Doe, my cousin Joe Edward Doe.

Guess it depends on the way you view it.

dc10co

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:37 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

Funny thing is that’s not a customs requirement it’s likely a silly policy of WOW. As someone who’s been extensively trained in international document handling, your reservation could be booked as Jane Doe & your passport could say John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt (extreme example) and as long as you’re able to prove that you’re the SAME person that’s booked in the PNR (with birth certificate, court document, marriage license etc etc) there is no reason to deny travel. All customs is looking for is timely and accurate transmission of APIS data that’s in the passport being used for travel and that the passport holder meets all entry requirements. No customs officer is going to deny someone boarding because they forgot their middle name, and IIRC the name in the PNR isn’t even transmitted to immigration, the manifest they get is with the APIS information collected from the passport.

In summary, to me this sounds like an over zealous policy at WOW that is completely unnecessary. They’re not gonna get fined over a middle name as long as they make sure her passport information was correctly inputted. Their own system even let her check in online for christ’s sake.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

Zkpilot

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:34 am

A few airlines tried this supposedly for security reasons (which is a crock) and needless to say the policy was quickly dropped.
If airlines were more flexible with name changes (or spelling/typo corrections) then ok, problem is most have overly harsh penalties. Generally it just isn't worth the hassle or the risk of making an error by adding in middle names.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

ayoungblood2

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 am

dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Funny thing is that’s not a customs requirement it’s likely a silly policy of WOW. As someone who’s been extensively trained in international document handling, your reservation could be booked as Jane Doe & your passport could say John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt (extreme example) and as long as you’re able to prove that you’re the SAME person that’s booked in the PNR (with birth certificate, court document, marriage license etc etc) there is no reason to deny travel. All customs is looking for is timely and accurate transmission of APIS data that’s in the passport being used for travel and that the passport holder meets all entry requirements. No customs officer is going to deny someone boarding because they forgot their middle name, and IIRC the name in the PNR isn’t even transmitted to immigration, the manifest they get is with the APIS information collected from the passport.

In summary, to me this sounds like an over zealous policy at WOW that is completely unnecessary. They’re not gonna get fined over a middle name as long as they make sure her passport information was correctly inputted. Their own system even let her check in online for christ’s sake.

Just out of curiosity are you Canadian? I know every country has different procedures and requirements so it could just be something required for those entering Canada. I could be wrong though, as I'm not Canadian and I can't remember enough details about my boarding pass and other documents form when I last travelled there.

jmc1975

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 am

WOW! That'll show them!

aeromoe

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:44 am

ayoungblood2 wrote:
I could be wrong though, as I'm not Canadian and I can't remember enough details about my boarding pass and other documents form when I last travelled there.

Despite being an a.netter you mean to say you don't save all your travel documents and file them neatly away for future reference? That's odd...

:white: :wave: :spin:
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

hoons90
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:44 am

ayoungblood2 wrote:
dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Just out of curiosity are you Canadian? I know every country has different procedures and requirements so it could just be something required for those entering Canada. I could be wrong though, as I'm not Canadian and I can't remember enough details about my boarding pass and other documents form when I last travelled there.

The article in the original post states that middle names are optional on WestJet.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

ayoungblood2

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 am

aeromoe wrote:
ayoungblood2 wrote:
I could be wrong though, as I'm not Canadian and I can't remember enough details about my boarding pass and other documents form when I last travelled there.

Despite being an a.netter you mean to say you don't save all your travel documents and file them neatly away for future reference? That's odd...

I'm a college student right now so all of that stuff is at home haha.

aeromoe

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:53 am

ayoungblood2 wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
ayoungblood2 wrote:

I'm a college student right now so all of that stuff is at home haha.

:checkmark: :checkmark: Good on you for furthering your education!!!
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:54 am

The only airline that I am aware of where middle names are mandatory, as in guaranteed denied boarding, is Vietnam Airlines.

Other than that their inclusion is often more cultural than anything else. Asian names for example often don’t have a ‘middle name’ but their full name is several words (in which I often get confused what is the last name as this isn’t always clear on some nationalities passports). There is no general requirement for all names on your passport to be on the ticket so long as the ‘first’ and ‘last’ are there.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

rubiohiguey

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 am

My daughter born in Latin country, with 2 first and 2 last names, had been traveling on first first name and first last name, forever and ever, and never had one problem or questions asked.

PA110

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 am

In my 35 years in the industry, this never used to be an issue as long as first and last names matched the passport. When e-tickets were introduced, airlines panicked with fears of widespread fraud which never materialized. Sadly, nobody seems to be able to back down from the silliness. These days I deal almost exclusively with Latin American carriers. As long as there are no irregularities, they're happy to accept first/last names only. But, the moment a ticket requires a reissue, they lose their minds and require 100% match with the passport. It's the same stupid lack of logic and common-sense that has plagued the airline industry for as long as I can remember.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

cpthuy

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
The only airline that I am aware of where middle names are mandatory, as in guaranteed denied boarding, is Vietnam Airlines.

Other than that their inclusion is often more cultural than anything else. Asian names for example often don’t have a ‘middle name’ but their full name is several words (in which I often get confused what is the last name as this isn’t always clear on some nationalities passports). There is no general requirement for all names on your passport to be on the ticket so long as the ‘first’ and ‘last’ are there.

To be fair, in Vietnam, we use the middle name fairly option, however it is not really mandatory, recommended-yes. Instead of calling people by Firstname Lastname, we often call them by Middlename Firstname (yeah, it's opposite in Vietnam).

hoons90
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:39 am

cpthuy wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

To be fair, in Vietnam, we use the middle name fairly option, however it is not really mandatory, recommended-yes. Instead of calling people by Firstname Lastname, we often call them by Middlename Firstname (yeah, it's opposite in Vietnam).

I wonder if VN relaxed their policy recently, as I have also heard of VN denying boarding for not including middle name (along with CZ)

VSMUT

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:24 am

dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Funny thing is that’s not a customs requirement it’s likely a silly policy of WOW.

FYI, it's a silly policy of all EU airlines, and something the European Commision has been quite aggressive on halting this practice. It is nothing but a way to extort money from luckless passengers who make mistakes.

Virginblue4

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 am

VSMUT wrote:
dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Funny thing is that’s not a customs requirement it’s likely a silly policy of WOW.

FYI, it's a silly policy of all EU airlines, and something the European Commision has been quite aggressive on halting this practice. It is nothing but a way to extort money from luckless passengers who make mistakes.

Are you sure about that? I’ve never used my middle names and I live in the UK. I’ve got 4 upcoming flights in the next few weeks and again I’ve not used my middle names.
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

VSMUT

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 am

Virginblue4 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
dc10co wrote:

Are you sure about that? I’ve never used my middle names and I live in the UK. I’ve got 4 upcoming flights in the next few weeks and again I’ve not used my middle names.

The rules were changed in 2013 so that you are able to correct your name for free for 48 hours after booking. Since then airlines have become a lot more lapse on these rules, but you still run a risk by not stating your full name as per the passport on the ticket. You may get away with it in the UK, but they could hit you on the way back from a different airport.

jomur

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 am

VSMUT wrote:
dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Never ever had any requirement to include my middle name on all the flights I've had with multiple European airlines including Ryanair who would jump at the chance to charge extra to add it... So not all EU airline requirement. The airline I work for doesnt require middle names on bookings either.

dc10co

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 am

ayoungblood2 wrote:
dc10co wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Not Canadian, but at my station my airline also handles Air Canada (hence the reason for the thorough international docs training). Also we see a higher proportion of international customers in general as opposed to other line stations. The most frequent situations we get are customer gets married and books a ticket with the new married name but the passport still has their maiden name or people not putting their full name in the PNR. Someone else mentioned something about fraud and that’s what the airline is really worried about, making sure that it actually is the person in the PNR by verifying DOB/marriage license etc. But it happens every single day and we’ve never denied somebody boarding over it.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

devron

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:38 am

This recent trip Report on this site reports the same

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1390475

LTU932

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 am

Here's the thing: Whenever I booked my flights to SJO when I lived in Germany, I had to include my full name as-is from my German passport. However, when I requested my ESTA, the middle name was explicitly not required, similarly when I reupped my ESTA two years ago.

With regards to the Costa Rican passport, I dunno if there is a requirement to enter both surnames because people only enter their first surname all the time. For my upcoming flight, I entered both my surnames.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

airbazar

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

This is crazy! I'm nearly 50 years old and in al lof my years of flying I have never ever put my middle name in my reservations. It is always just first and last.
I never even put my full last name in my reservations and I've never had a problem.
My official last name as is in my passport is actually 2 names (no hyphen), which were I come from is quite common. It's my mother's last name followed by my father's last name. I usually just put the very last one, my father's last name and never once has anyone questioned it.

YIMBY

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I have never given and never asked to give my middle name in reservation, and never had any trouble. Last century they even accepted misspelled names that were rather common in telephone reservations.

Chemist

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:34 pm

The entire middle name situation is a PITA. Our US passports say Given name(s), and on mine it has my FIRST MIDDLE in that area.
Some airlines (US, Canadian) have places to fill in separate fields for first and middle when booking a reservation. Many others (European) only list First and Last. But we've been paranoid about this in the past, and have settled on putting FIRST MIDDLE in the First Name field and leaving the Middle field blank, if it even exists. But it creates stress and worry that somehow you'll have issues at the border. It's all very inconsistent.

ACDC8

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Should have made sure your name on your ID matched your name on your reservation EXACTLY as Transport Canada recommends.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

OA260

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:20 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

The rules were changed in 2013 so that you are able to correct your name for free for 48 hours after booking. Since then airlines have become a lot more lapse on these rules, but you still run a risk by not stating your full name as per the passport on the ticket. You may get away with it in the UK, but they could hit you on the way back from a different airport.

I have travelled extensively around the globe on tons of airlines and never had an issue. I only ever travel with my first name and surname. I know lots of people from various countries outside the UK/Ireland who also do the same. What if you have two middle names? This seems to be airline policy enforced by a limited few airlines.

spacecadet

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Name has to match the passport when flying internationally. This isn't new.

If your middle name's not on your passport, then you don't need it. If it is, you do. Simple. If you've gotten away with flying without it even though it's on your passport, you've gotten lucky. I'd advise to start using it, because it takes 2 seconds to put it on your reservation, but will take a lot more of your time if you ever do get denied boarding. (ANA, for one, has told me straight that I would be denied boarding without my middle name.)
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

OA260

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:35 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Name has to match the passport when flying internationally. This isn't new.

If your middle name's not on your passport, then you don't need it. If it is, you do. Simple. If you've gotten away with flying without it even though it's on your passport, you've gotten lucky. I'd advise to start using it, because it takes 2 seconds to put it on your reservation, but will take a lot more of your time if you ever do get denied boarding. (ANA, for one, has told me straight that I would be denied boarding without my middle name.)

Not really. Hundreds of thousands fly from Ireland to the USA every year and only use their first name and Surname. The only issues that arise if they put their first names incorrect and that involves a name change fee. For example in Ireland it is very common for someone to be called by their second name but they sometimes forget when booking tickets or someone books for them.

zrs70

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Are we talking about the same person who wrote this trip report?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1390475
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

RyanairGuru

Re: Passenger denied boarding on WOW Air flight for not including middle name in reservati

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

hoons90 wrote:
cpthuy wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I wonder if VN relaxed their policy recently, as I have also heard of VN denying boarding for not including middle name (along with CZ)

Cpthuy is incorrect. Middle names on VN are 100% mandatory, that has not changed. It is a guaranteed denied boarding, no ifs, no buts.

With regards to websites/booking engines asking for first/middle/last, it actually makes no difference as GDS work only on last name/given name(s). No distinction is made for ‘first’ or ‘middle’. That is only done on the customer facing portal to avoid confusion but on the back end the ‘first’ and ‘middle’ are populated in the same field. This means that you can put all your given names in the first name box if you so desire.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

bluestreak

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm

I booked a trip on BA today, there wasn't a blank field to include my middle name. There was only a field for my first and last name. This was for a flight from AMS to LHR, so maybe the requirement is different for flights inside the EU?
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

LupineChemist

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

I live in Madrid and fly IB all the time. I try to avoid using my middle name but because of how my name got changed here my first name in Spain is FIRST MIDDLE and I just have one surname. People often get really confused and try and put my middle name as my first last name. It doesn't help that my middle name is common as both a first and a last name in English (think something like 'Carson' or 'Anderson') so I end up with all kinds of weird permutations from travel agency confusion.

Never once denied boarding because of it.

XAM2175

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 am

I've made scores of flights over twenty-odd years on airlines as diverse as QF, AN, DJ, FQ, BA, LH, KL, SK, SU, and U2 as [Firstname] [Lastname] despite my passport and all other ID including a middle name and the worst trouble I've ever had is that my passport picture is many years old now and I used to make stupid facial-hair choices.

Maybe it's been helped by the fact that I always include my middle name in my Advance Passenger Information, or maybe it hasn't.

It would disappoint me if anybody caught strife about this because the airline asked for their "first name" and that's what they gave.

n757kw

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Just be glad you are not a Jr/II/III etc. I have had issues in Asia and my home US over where the Jr is in my booking. My understanding the TSA requires your name to match your ID and your ticket. Since mine matches except for the location of the Jr, I have not had too many issues.

I have noticed in parts of Asia,they ask for full name as in your passport. But, I have not had any issues even if my names were not in the correct field. Go figure.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

reffado

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
I live in Madrid and fly IB all the time. I try to avoid using my middle name but because of how my name got changed here my first name in Spain is FIRST MIDDLE and I just have one surname. People often get really confused and try and put my middle name as my first last name. It doesn't help that my middle name is common as both a first and a last name in English (think something like 'Carson' or 'Anderson') so I end up with all kinds of weird permutations from travel agency confusion.

Never once denied boarding because of it.

I can relate to this.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with air travel, but I could see problems arising from strict enforcement of "no typos or any mistakes at all" on reservations. My surname is three different words and I have no middle name. Some airline websites won't allow me to input my full name - it doesn't fit. And it's not my fault. It's theirs for inputting a character limit. Some airline websites won't even let me input my passport information before I go to the airport, because it says "must match exactly to the document" (obviously, duh), but then there's a character limit on the input source, making that impossible.

Not what happened here, but it goes to show that sometimes it's not customer negligence or disregard for proper process - it's bad system design.

jetwet1

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

As with most here, i've never had an issue not putting in a middle name, off the top of my head the only issue i've had with a reservation was on BA back in 2002, I was flying LAX-LHR in First, the credit card I had used to buy the ticket had been cloned, the issuer (I want to say Citibank) killed the card and reissued with a new account number), BA check in wanted the original card.....To put it mildly the conversation between myself and the agent didn't go well, the conversation between myself and the station manager ended with him saying he would do me a "one time favor of allowing me to fly", you can guess how well that went down, it's one of the few times I have ever really lost it on a customer service person, not something I felt good about after, but I ended up cancelling the ticket and walking over to take a VS flight.

directorguy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I come from a country where IDs are First name/father's name/grandfather's name/great grandfather's name.
Our last names are technically any of the last three. We do not have middle names.
Clearly more than one way to skin a cat.