AirAfreak
Topic Author

What are your “must-have” carry-on items you take onboard for a pleasant and comfortable flight?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am

Quality <<noise-canceling headphones>> and the relaxing scent of <<French Lavender>> in the form of an essential oil for my airplane pillow are some examples of “must-haves” in my cabin bag when flying long-haul.

The familiar scent of home <<French Lavender Essential Oil>> aides in relaxation especially when crossing multiple time zones. A few drops around the seat area is my crucial coping mechanism when that passenger seated in front of me has a severe case of foul body odor!

Pre-moistened <<sanitizing sheets>> for my hands after a untensil-free inflight snack are especially useful while seated at the window seat which avoids interrupting my seat neighbors to wash my hands in the lavatory.

Machine-washable <<travel slippers>> by MUJI keep my feet warm while providing a barrier against the bacteria-ridden airplane floor. The soft sides provide greater comfort to my swollen feet when moving about the cabin 8 hours into a flight.

A sturdy aluminum <<tablet stand>> by Bluelounge is quite useful when your PTV is inoperative.

Also by Bluelounge, are these amazing <<cable clips>> which offer the best solution for charging cable management! They are made from silicone and come in bright colors for easy view. I highly-recommend them! Share if you know of something even better!

These are just a few examples of my “must-haves” when flying medium to long-haul services. What are some of your essentials and why do you recommend them?

Happy 2018 and Happy Flying!
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

cpd

Re: What are your “must-have” carry-on items you take onboard for a pleasant and comfortable flight?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

AirAfreak wrote:
Quality <<noise-canceling headphones>> and the relaxing scent of <<French Lavender>> in the form of an essential oil for my airplane pillow are some examples of “must-haves” in my cabin bag when flying long-haul.

The familiar scent of home <<French Lavender Essential Oil>> aides in relaxation especially when crossing multiple time zones. A few drops around the seat area is my crucial coping mechanism when that passenger seated in front of me has a severe case of foul body odor!

Pre-moistened <<sanitizing sheets>> for my hands after a untensil-free inflight snack are especially useful while seated at the window seat which avoids interrupting my seat neighbors to wash my hands in the lavatory.

Machine-washable <<travel slippers>> by MUJI keep my feet warm while providing a barrier against the bacteria-ridden airplane floor. The soft sides provide greater comfort to my swollen feet when moving about the cabin 8 hours into a flight.

A sturdy aluminum <<tablet stand>> by Bluelounge is quite useful when your PTV is inoperative.

Also by Bluelounge, are these amazing <<cable clips>> which offer the best solution for charging cable management! They are made from silicone and come in bright colors for easy view. I highly-recommend them! Share if you know of something even better!

These are just a few examples of my “must-haves” when flying medium to long-haul services. What are some of your essentials and why do you recommend them?

Happy 2018 and Happy Flying!

My must have list would include <<whatever I'm paid by a company>> to use and promote, right?

Maybe I'm being too cynical and suspicious.

I don't go anywhere without my old Bose noise cancelling headphones - they are superb. Had them for a very long time and they do an amazing job of killing the air-con and engine noise on planes.

AirAfreak
Topic Author

Re: What are your “must-have” carry-on items you take onboard for a pleasant and comfortable flight?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am

Hi cpd!

I approached this with the purpose of gaining insight on how my fellow a.net members prepare for a flight. This is meant to be a useful tool for sharing ideas amongst ourselves to improve comfort and efficiency. I’m simply coming from a place of learning.

Happy Flying,

AirAfreak
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

B747forever

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 am

All I need are my Bose noise canceling headphones and an eye mask. I have always been able to sleep even in Y as long as I have those two things.
Work Hard, Fly Right

citationjet

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 am

Noise cancelling headsets, iPod for music, neck pillow, eyeshades, Ambien (10 mg) for long flights, small flashlight, snacks like Fig Newtons, gum, hand sanitizer.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

davescj

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am

Noise cancelling head set, book to read (I prefer the book, not a kindle), if a long flight something comfy to wear, and a smile and thank you for the crew.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

theobcman

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Travel Book (not kindle)
Eye mask
Elemis face moisturiser

(Preferably no wi-fi) 12 hour flight is MY time to eat / drink / watch movies without interruption please !!

ACDC8

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm

To be honest, I don't have any "must have" items to make for a pleasant and comfortable flight but the to make a long flight a little bit more enjoyable ...

A simple paper back book and skin moisturizer - everything else simply is a waste of space in carry-on.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Flanker7

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

A book and as little as possible hand luggage. I don't prepare for a flight i just do it.
Flying blue only if possible

vhtje

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:03 pm

The list varies slightly depending upon if it is short haul or long haul.

Short haul:
- Noise Cancelling headset (best investment ever for a frequent flyer like myself)
- iPad loaded with catchup BBC shows/Netflix/iTunes movies
- Magazine
- charging cables for my iPhone/iPad
- bottle of water

Long haul - in addition to the above, I take:
- loose-fitting cotton t-shirt and shorts for sleeping - I change into these as soon as I can upon boarding
- Hammamas cotton blanket (see this:https://hammamas.com/view_all)
- spare pair of underwear and socks (if going to Australia)
- spare handkerchief
- ZzzzQuill tablets (from the US) (or Night Nurse if I have run out) - this is not only for the journey, but to help with jet lag when I arrive
- current book I am reading
- small can of Nivea
- face spray mist
- spray bottle of eau de toilette (Chanel offer Bleu in a refillable travel size which passes under the 100mL limit so can go through security)
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

jetblueguy22

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Phone and headphones are my only must haves. Depending on how busy I am it may include my laptop so I can get some work done as well.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

planewasted

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Phone and headphones are my only must haves. Depending on how busy I am it may include my laptop so I can get some work done as well.

Same for me.
Maybe some old fashioned earplugs for sleeping if on a long-haul flight too. I don't understand the thing with noise cancelling headphones. They remove the non-annoying low frequency sounds but let the annoying high frequency sounds through. Just make everything sound weird. Earplugs work the opposite way. Removes annoying high frequency sounds.

CCGPV

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Bose headset, kindle, eye mask, Xanax.
Stay curious

spacecadet

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Noise cancelling headphones and my phone are usually all I need. I use Sony headphones, not the Bose ones favored by most here, and I love them.

Now that electronic devices are allowed at all times if they're in airplane mode, a phone is a lot more useful. I can listen to my own music, watch videos, take photos or video of takeoff/landing, or read.

If I know that there is no IFE on my flight, I will usually also bring my tablet. I used to pre-load it with movies, but I rarely do that anymore since the only airline I routinely fly that doesn't have IFE is Delta, and they just substitute free streaming on flights with no IFE. But if I forget the tablet or don't know I'll have no IFE, my phone is a good substitute.

Also, I guess related to that, I always bring my phone charger. Most flights now have power at every seat, and I usually need it.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

rlwynn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 am

Just a hoodie or a sweater. And the phone.
I can drive faster than you

PanzerPowner

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Camera, Decent Headphones, Some Snacks or something from the food court to fill inbetween the meals.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Phone, wallet, clothes and passport.

Edit: Nearly forgot, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Ca ... 0140285261

To help me stay calm as the bloke next to me covers everything in lavender before stripping to his undies.

Fred

FriscoHeavy

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:37 pm

My wife just got me a pair beats headphones a few months back, which I was against forever. She surprised me with them and now I travel with them all the time. I should have listened to hear sooner.
Whatever

stlgph

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:08 pm

headphones.
spare set of clothes for whatever the reason.
travel size mouthwash and deodorant.

have to stay pretty.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Rookie87

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am

Large water bottle(s)
Bose Headsets
3DS and/or Nintendo Switch
Eye mask
Scar to cover my nose (helps with the dryness of the cabin air)
Sleep meds for when I’m at destination or flight is longer than 10 hours.

EricAY05

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Essential:

- Deodorant stick (yes, I care about my fellow travelers)
- Enough various clothes that can be worn on top of each other in case of a really cold cabin, also a couple of pairs of socks of different thickness
- Book, just in case the IFE sucks or no IFE
- Healthy snack bars

Non-essential:

- Bose headphones (unfortunately they are not great at cancelling speech)
- Whatever I need for one night/day in case baggage does not arrive

dz09

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm

this is a must for me especially on long flights
1- loose clothing.
2- comfortable socks
3- car air freshener (little tree vanillaroma)
4- plenty of Benadryl.

novak500

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 am

Nothing in particular for the flight, maybe just headphones and my iPhone for movies

LH658

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:15 am

ear plugs, ear phones, gum, chapstick, lotion, snacks, jacket or a pillow.If it long haul add tooth brush and tooth paste.

angusjt

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 am

Earphones, Phone (prefferably offline, but for music, time etc.), GoPro (or any camera) to record takeoff/landing, bottled water or juice and a bag of chips.

If flight is 6+ hours i'll bring a change of shirt, toothbrush, blanket and a pillow.

afterburner

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 am

Dental floss. I hate it when there's a piece of food left stuck between my teeth.

DalRiada

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 am

Bottle of water, magazine and/or book and headphones.

AirAfreak
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Phone, wallet, clothes and passport.

Edit: Nearly forgot, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Ca ... 0140285261

To help me stay calm as the bloke next to me covers everything in lavender before stripping to his undies.

Fred

Thank you for the laugh and for the helpful reading suggestion, too!

Any suggestions on a great neck/travel pillow?