ltbewr
Topic Author

Best and worst coach class food experiences

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:11 am

While it is an old joke that airline food is an oxymoron, especially in coach class, I was interested in comments on the the best and worst coach class food experiences some of you here have had.
I know I have had a few decent experiences, I am also glad I brought something with me or had something before the flight as the food offered was like a choice of what poison you want to get sick from. I recall on a short notice red-eye back in 1982 (?) on a AA DC-10 SFO-JFK, when the F/A offered me a meal, I told her that I had a nice dinner before the flight. She replied I don't blame you. Some charters I was on back in the early to mid-1980's were awful too.
One of the worst all time was last November on a LHR-EWR UA flight. My 'pasta' dinner choice main entree was badly overcooked and largely inedible. Thankfully I had lunch at LHR in terminal post-Security so I wasn't hungry. One of my best was in 1982 on a DEN-EWR Flight on the old CO and on a DC-10, a breakfast of an omlant and some sausage.
So come on, some of you have have some horror stories and maybe some good ones of coach class in flight food experiences.

AirAfreak

Re: Best and worst coach class food experiences

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 am

Worst:

Presidential Airways
Boston - Washington/Dulles
737-200
Breakfast: Chilled Bagel with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I was flying as an Unaccompanied Minor at the bulkhead row.

Best:

Air France
Washington/Dulles - Paris
A340
Dinner: Veal (Main Dish) and on the side a slice of pumpernickel bread topped with cream cheese and thick slices of smoked salmon. This flight was on the new A340 for Air France making this a particularly special occasion. I cannot recall the year, but I can recall the featured film on this flight was, “Nell,” starring Jodie Foster and Liam Neeson. I was a teenager flying to Paris. It was my very first Air France flight, too!
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

hoons90

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 am

Best:

Emirates EK242 YYZ-DXB
Indian vegetarian meal
Mushroom and corn masala with panchmel dal and butter rice topped with cashew nuts
I wouldn't have questioned it if I was served this in Business Class. The portion was enormous and the quality was just superb.

Worst:

Air China CA887 PEK-LAX
Pasta with "cream" sauce
Spaghetti was so overcooked that you could smush it into a paste with a slight press of the finger. Sauce had the consistency of mucus and tasted very artificial.
Shame, but I liked everything else about the flight.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

spacecadet

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:48 am

I don't remember that many economy food experiences that were memorably good, although many have been perfectly fine.

But a few meals have stood out as memorably bad. One was an ANA flight JFK-NRT, the breakfast meal was literally a pile of ground beef on a plate. This is NOT a Japanese dish of any kind that I just misunderstood as a westerner, btw. This was like if you started making Hamburger Helper and stopped at the "brown 1 pound of ground beef" stage. Then served it for breakfast.

Then just a couple of weeks ago, flying NRT-PDX on Delta, the breakfast was a "breakfast stromboli". It was literally a long baseball bat shaped piece of pizza dough with some eggs inside it, microwaved and served in its original box.

It seems like breakfast is where most airlines have problems.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

hoons90

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 am

spacecadet wrote:

It seems like breakfast is where most airlines have problems.

One of the best meals I've had in Y, but didn't make the list above, was a breakfast meal. It was a crepe with a cream cheese filling that Etihad served me.
But I do agree with you, most airlines treat breakfast as an afterthought. You're lucky if you get more than a piece of banana and a muffin for breakfast on a North America-Europe flight on pretty much any airline.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

PITingres

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 am

Didn't we have a thread on this topic not all that long ago?

I don't recall any best, although I've had some pretty decent meals. The worst, by a wide margin, was a hideous, inedible pasta with "white sauce", which was almost certainly a preparation of Elmer's Glue, on a US Airways TATL flight. They had a chicken selection as well, but it ran out less than halfway down the airplane. I don't remember the date, but it was surely close to 20 years ago and I still remember it. I complained to an FA about it, and she said that since they started serving that particular dish a week or so before, she had had several dozen other complaints about it, and hardly anyone ate more than a bite of it. I gather they stopped it shortly after.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

RamblinMan

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 am

Best: By far, Korean Air bibimbap. ICN-ATL. Would gladly have paid $15-$18 for the dish in a restaurant. All the meals on that trip were good but this one was memorable.

Worst: Some sort of beef and pasta on Aer Lingus, ORD-DUB. Pure gristle, couldn't chew it up. The buy-on-board menus for Europe flights were in the seat pockets and I remember multiple people around me expressing disappointment upon realizing that these were not for our flight, as the sandwiches looked pretty good and we would all have been willing to pay a few bucks to get something edible.

Honorable mentions--
Good: Hungarian cheese turnover with complimentary wine, breakfast on Malev.
Pretty Awful: Continental barbecue sandwich.

Yflyer

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 am

Best: Indian vegetarian meal on Lufthansa, FRA-BLR. For the record I'm neither vegetarian nor Indian, it just sounded better than the other option, and I think I made the right choice.

Worst: I've never had one that was really all that bad, but I did once get a turkey sandwich on Delta that wasn't all that great. That one was particularly disappointing because it was a BOB meal.

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 am

Worse: AA UIO-MIA. I do not want to know what part of what animal was in that meal.

Best: Several meals on Qantas. I’ve had quite a few meals with QF that I would rate as excellent, although I’ve also had some bad ones. In my experience the food on QF is either excellent or poor, I’ve never had a meal with them that I’d describe as average.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

dredgy

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 am

RamblinMan beat me to it - Korean Air bibimbap is a fantastic meal, I had it first on a flight from BNE->ICN. I've flown them lots of times since and it's always a go to, though their Western options are also excellent. Bangkok Airlines is a notable contender too - had a fantastic hot curry meal with them on a 20 minute flight.

Worst would be the snack pack Qantaslink puts on regional QLD flights.

HOOB747

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:54 pm

The special seafood meal on Thai was amazing! The regular meal on Sichuan Airlines (HKG-CTU) was the best airplane food I have ever had! For a short, 2.5 hour flight! I recommend them just for the food! The worst, American Airlines long-haul (HKG-DFW) pasta meal, just awful, inedible. And I love airplane food, but that one was criminally bad. I was sad.
I love dem planes....

stlgph

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Agreed the best regular economy meal experience has to be Korean Air's bibimbap.

The best "pay extra for your economy meal" experience has to be LOT Polish. Second to that - Icelandair's lamb salad.

Ironically the worst economy meal .... LOT Polish. A chicken and a small portion of vegetables (carrots and a half of a broccoli stem) reheated so many times the sauce had entirely evaporated and it was nearly impossible to cut through the chicken. Pretty much had to rip portions off with my fingers.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

conaly

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Worst:
British Airways JFK-LHR: I believe that was the first and only time for me, that I just couldn't eat that stuff, despite being quite hungry. I don't know anymore what it was exactly, but it was disgusting mixture of rice, gravy, meat and vegetables.

Honorable mentions:
Air Koryo PEK-FNJ – the cheeseburger assembly kit

Best:
BOM-BDQ Jet Airways: on a domestic flight in India I had a very nice chicken-sandwich-kindof thing. The bun was completely filled with that meat stuff and sauce, but it was exceptionally delicious.

Besides that, on long range I really liked the Singapore Airlines food.

UnitedIsBae

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Worst: AA, NRT-LAX 777-200ER

A sad really chewy piece of french toast. With a single slice of ham.

Best: JAL, PVG-NRT 767-300ER

Curry, served piping hot on a custom tray that plugs into the galley.
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD

steveinbc

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 am

Worst: had to be Air Canada economy rom SYD to YVR. It was truly inedible and I ended up eating almost all the Aussie snacks I had brought in my backpack as gifts for friends...uugghh
Best: it has to be Air India or Air France. Both serve truly excellent coach food
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

flyinggoat

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 am

Best:

Asiana LAX-ICN: A really tasty cold lemon shrimp noodle salad thing. At first I thought it was a bit odd since it seemed like chilled shrimp scampi, but it was actually really good. The rest of the meal was good too.

Continental EWR-LAX in 2008 Coach Class: They served a hot cheesesteak pizza thing with a great garlic crust. It was amazing.

Worst:

UA SFO-AKL last November. The eggs for breakfast taste like cardboard. It was awful. That whole flight was awful. Disheveled and extremely rude FAs, terrible food, and cramped seats (77W). At least the IFE worked.

blueflyer

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Best, BA ANR-LHR (or maybe LGW, it's been a while). Breakfast omelet, it was fluffy and everything you'd want an omelet on the ground to be. Since it's such a short hop, I suspect the caterer delivered the omelets piping hot 5 minutes before departure, so the crew only had to keep them warm until a few minutes after take-off.
MAGag