Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LH658
Topic Author

Question about UA

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 pm

I will be traveling from AKL to IAH via SFO, though my ticket is actually booked like this (AKL-SFO-IAH-AUS.) Though I just want to get my bags at IAH, and not continue too AUS. Is that possible? I will be traveling with Air New Zealand to SFO, and the rest of the legs are on UA.

atrude777

Re: Question about UA

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 pm

If you are ticketed to fly on AZ/UA all the way to AUS the bag will go to AUS.

However, if you have no intention of flying the IAH-AUS segment, You'll have to call UA or maybe see if the agent in AKL/SFO can just cancel the IAH-AUS segment, and unseat you, and this will ensure the bag is checked only to IAH and not AUS. You MAY incur a Fee, I don't have access to your PNR so I cannot tell what restrictions, if any, you may have with the ticket.

The bag will have to be reclaimed at SFO for Custom's purposes, and will continue onward.

Alex

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 pm

atrude777 wrote:
If you are ticketed to fly on AZ/UA all the way to AUS the bag will go to AUS.

However, if you have no intention of flying the IAH-AUS segment, You'll have to call UA or maybe see if the agent in AKL/SFO can just cancel the IAH-AUS segment, and unseat you, and this will ensure the bag is checked only to IAH and not AUS. You MAY incur a Fee, I don't have access to your PNR so I cannot tell what restrictions, if any, you may have with the ticket.

The bag will have to be reclaimed at SFO for Custom's purposes, and will continue onward.

Alex

I have 1 hour 30 mins to connect in SFO, is that enough time? What if I made excuse like, I don't want to fly on wards to AUS? Sometime I notice, flights in USA, they ask if anybody wishes not to fly please deplane the aircraft.

RyanairGuru

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Is Austin the last flight on the ticket? If you have a return or onward flight then I can guarantee 100% that all subsequent flights will be cancelled if you no-show on IAH-AUS.

It is *highly* unlikely that the checkin staff will only tag your bag to a transit port, but there is no harm in asking. When they say no though you really are out of luck.

If you really do not want to take that flight then you should contact the airline and have your ticket reissued without that sector. They will charge you unless you are on a flexible ticket, but that’s the price you must pay for buying a restrictive ticket and then changing your mind.

HOOB747

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 am

You are out of luck. You will have to get your ticket re-issued with the change fee. Airlines don't like when fliers try to get cute with their itineraries, so if you really don't want to fly to Austin, you shouldn't check a bag. And if you have a return ticket back to AKL, then that will certainly be canceled if you don't fly to Austin.

LH658
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:37 am

I start my journey from Austin, my ticket was way cheaper to start my journey from AUS vs IAH. Though now thinking about it, I wish I would have opted out just to start my journey from IAH. Though the carry on solution doesn't seem bad. Thanks guys for the input.

Aptivaboy

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

If you can, consider getting a United Lounge pass at SFO if you think your layover is long enough taking customs and everything into account. It can be quite nice to have a place to relax and not have to deal with the masses.

I'd contact UAL customer service and ask which terminal your connecting flight will be in to be sure you can get into the right lounge (they have 2-3 at SFO), what the cost is, etc., and then decide if its worth your while.

Have fun and safe trip!

evank516

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

If you started your trip at AUS, why wouldn't you just end it at AUS? Do you live dead center between AUS and IAH? How did you get to AUS for your outbound flight? Is your car in AUS?
If you have a non-refundable ticket you WILL pay fees plus difference in fare. I'm willing to bet it will cost you a pretty penny to do so. I'd stick with your original itinerary and next time just originate in IAH.

LH658
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 am

evank516 wrote:
If you started your trip at AUS, why wouldn't you just end it at AUS? Do you live dead center between AUS and IAH? How did you get to AUS for your outbound flight? Is your car in AUS?
If you have a non-refundable ticket you WILL pay fees plus difference in fare. I'm willing to bet it will cost you a pretty penny to do so. I'd stick with your original itinerary and next time just originate in IAH.

I live closer to Houston, though cost leave from Austin was way way cheaper. Though cause some other plans, I have after return back to USA, I need be in IAH for family event. Rather just get off at IAH, let my relatives pick me up. I might just carry a carry on, so I can get off at IAH.

stratacruiser

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:51 pm

You’ll need to collect your baggage at SFO for customs check. If you have baggage that could be taken as carry-on domestically - where size and weight limits are less rigorously enforced than at overseas stations - just don’t recheck them. (Don’t forget about liquid size limits though). If they make you gate check on the IAH flight, just say your destination is Houston as they manually write the tags. 90 minutes should be OK at SFO if you move quickly - will also help if you have Global Entry and TSA precheck.

LH658
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 am

Just gunna carry on my bags on the way back from AKL, so I just simply get off at IAH.