Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trexel94
Topic Author

AE Centurion Lounge coming to DEN?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Plans for an American Express Centurion Lounge at Denver Airport could be in the works. If it comes to fruition, the lounge will be one of the largest lounges built by AE surpassed only by JFK.

On a personal note, i'm not familiar with AE lounges, how do they compare to airline clubs like the Lufthansa senator or United?

Read the rest of the story here
https://news.get.com/denver-may-get-new ... on-lounge/

trexel94
Topic Author

Re: AE Centurion Lounge coming to DEN?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Update: The proposed lounge will be located in concourse C. Seems like an odd location considering only Southwest and Alaska fly out of that concourse.

Brick

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Concourse C probably contains the only available space to put a new lounge. United is using every square inch of Concourse B. There's only one place in Concourse A to put a lounge and that space is already occupied by the AA/BA lounge.

LH lounges are nice, though I've only been to the one in FRA.

UA lounges are dumps. I dropped my membership several years ago as the lounges are overcrowded and noisy. Food/drink options were and continue to be a joke.

AC and LH lounges put UA's lounges to shame.

tpaewr

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Update: The proposed lounge will be located in concourse C. Seems like an odd location considering only Southwest and Alaska fly out of that concourse.

Mostly likely not by choice. In IAH they are in the rather empty Terminal D, as when CO built C & E they arranged for no rival lounges. Given how much better Centurion is than any airline lounge and I do not see any carrier welcoming them.

It is my understanding AA fought them coming to DFW as well.

I love Amex and welcome the expansion of the Centurion network!

ua900

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Plans for an American Express Centurion Lounge at Denver Airport could be in the works. If it comes to fruition, the lounge will be one of the largest lounges built by AE surpassed only by JFK.

On a personal note, i'm not familiar with AE lounges, how do they compare to airline clubs like the Lufthansa senator or United?

Read the rest of the story here
https://news.get.com/denver-may-get-new ... on-lounge/

The quality of the AE lounges depends on their size and their location. All of the ones I've been to (HKG, SFO, DFW and IAH) are way better than the UA clubs and marignally better than larger LH group senator lounges (FRA, MUC, ZRH). Food tends to be fresh and local, wines tend to be great and mixed beverages are pretty good as well. HKG was the one outlier to that, very reserved staff, food was mediocre and perfectly on par with the nearby Thai lounge and UA club. Still nice enough though.

The biggest drawback is that when AE opens, they quickly get crowded in places where someone like UA already operates. SFO and IAH are are short walk from the competing UA clubs. I assume it's similar for AA in MIA and DFW, though I've not been to the AA clubs at DFWs, so I only see one side of the coin, a full club at DFW with massage signups three hours out.

MIflyer12

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Locating the Centurion lounge in the concourse with Southwest and Spirit... I"m loving the irony.

trexel94
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm

In addition to AE, Plaza Premium lounge also is coming to DEN and will be located in Concourse A.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... -nice.html

cschleic

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Locating the Centurion lounge in the concourse with Southwest and Spirit... I"m loving the irony.

Southwest has a lot of biz travelers these days so it'll probably draw some of them. Spirit...not.

Beechtobus

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Concourse C is likely the only place where there is enough real estate. As long as it’s in the center core, it won’t be too out of the way for passengers to visit. As a platinum card holder, I have to say I’m pretty excited about the Centurion finally coming to my hometown airport.

OzarkD9S

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Well I would qualify to enter the Centurion lounge with my DL branded AMEX Platinum card. Haven't been able to check one out yet as my travels haven't taken me to one so far. Will it be located where the old smoking lounge was on the main level or upstairs?

airfrnt

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 am

As noted above, there are two lounges coming in. The most important may actually be the Plaza Premium going into the A concourse. this is Plaza Premium's first US lounge, and the build out is immense. International flights usually depart from A, so I think this location will be excellent.

Southwest has plans to grow Denver to be it's largest city, so it makes sense for them to be on A, at least until the great hall renovation is complete. Both the Centurion Lounge and the Plaza Premium lounge will be built in new space on A& C that is roughly similar to where United's Lounge is on B concourse (down the concourse a bit, up on the second level). This should give outstanding views, especially on A.