Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetwet1
Topic Author

Cans of beer on a US domestic flight.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

We are having a debate at work on the number of cans of beer on a typical US domestic flight, does anyone have any insight ?

Are there routes known for a larger than normal load ?

COSPN

Re: Cans of beer on a US domestic flight.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 pm

At $6 a can only the very rich can afford it

ual763

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Yeah definitely! I can only speak for United, but they do take regional preferences (historical data) into account when stocking an aircraft. For example, flights that are stocked at the airlines' Midwest hub (Ohare) tend to have a lot more beer on them, then flights leaving IAH for example. Flights down there may stock more miniature bottles of hard liquor. They do the same thing with food as well. I've noticed that flights going to/from SFO/LAX tend to have a lot more Vegetarian/Pescetarian meals stocked, as opposed to the O'Hare/Houston flights. The number of cans varies per flight for the above reasons, but on average, I'd say the aircraft has about 25-30 cans of beer loaded on. The time of day, also affects how many are loaded. Morning flights typically have a lot less, while evening flights typically have quite a few more.

stlgph

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Flew from New York to Chicago for St Patrick's Day on Friday.
Flight was out of liquor, wine, and beer by the time we hit Cleveland.

wjuddsonk

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I typically fly AFT galley on a domestic 737 and we are stocked with one bar cart for economy- which has usually about 16 beers. Then the first galley has about 16 as well. So 32 in total for 737. International flights have restock inserts of beer in the galley but domestic does not so whats on the cart, is everything we have. I would say it's pretty consistent across the board. Sometimes you may not have one or two due to low stock but the cart set up including bin with beer is pretty standard.

Ufsatp

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm

COSPN wrote:

$6 is really not that expensive. "Very rich", nice hyperbole.

IADCA

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ufsatp wrote:
COSPN wrote:

In a number of major cities - like the coastal cities where several major airlines have hubs - $6 would actually be on the cheaper side for a decent beer.

wingsofman72

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm

No idea how many they have, but way back in 1970 was on a PA 707-320 NAS-JFK that had an English Ruby Team. The weather was bad in JFK an we missed our slot (just behind BA going the same place at the time) due to the fact that they sent for more beer for the flight. We took over an hour ATC on the ground in NAS (and they had the bar open, so they had to replenish the beer again)! Flight turned out to be one of the roughest flight I ever took from start to touch down, including over an hour hold and divert to IAD. All the way, the team was singing drinking songs one of which included a line about "what a way to die" every time we hit strong turbulence. Poor honeymoon couple next to me were sick (and scared the whole time). Bet no airline would EVER do that these days (at least in the US).

JannEejit

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Hah, you know what I'd love ? If every beer can sold on a flight was recycled from aircraft aluminium and a bit like how fresh cuts of meat are traceable back to the farm and livestock they came from, if each beer can bore the reg and a picture/brief biog about the aircraft it came from. OK, I'll move along now ! ;-)

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 pm

I think destination and number of first class seats makes a difference. Flights to LAS or Reno go thru more than flights to Omaha. Also number of people who drink for free if 24 or 8 makes a huge difference .

Rookie87

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 pm

About 24-30 cans on AA on some domestic flights. That number goes up on longer flights I believe

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Back in the early '90's I was on a WN thru flight the routed PHX-SAT-HOU. For some reason we were delayed out of PHX due to a thunderstorm or some thing. So as an apology, after we got airborne on the way to HOU from SAT, they announced that all beer would be free. The crew asked people to raise their hands if they wanted a beer, and literally chunked cans over people's heads! I can tell you, they were stocked with way more than 16 beers on that flight. I'd imagine 35+ people had a beer on that 40 minute run!

spacecadet

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 pm

When I flew Horizon from PDX-SEA, which is a very short hop, they did a full drink service and made a big deal out of having a bunch of local microbrews. I'd say at least 50% of the cabin did imbibe. So there had to be at least 30 cans just on that short flight.

Enzed

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 am

would have thought on afternoon peak hour flight such as SYD/MEL or SYD/BNE on a QF or VA 738 that they would require 100+ cans/flight.

Think QF give beer away free on Australian domestic flights between 1600 & 1900. Not sure about VA.

BC77008

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 am

Ufsatp wrote:
COSPN wrote:

Grow up. It was a joke.

KentB27

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

spacecadet wrote:
When I flew Horizon from PDX-SEA, which is a very short hop, they did a full drink service and made a big deal out of having a bunch of local microbrews. I'd say at least 50% of the cabin did imbibe. So there had to be at least 30 cans just on that short flight.

I think Alaska and Horizon are a bit unique in that aspect. They love to support local breweries which is pretty cool in my opinion.

Ufsatp

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

BC77008 wrote:
Ufsatp wrote:
COSPN wrote:

Grow up. It was a joke.

At best it was an immature joke, and not a good one at that. I am not the one that needs to “grow up”.