Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

Flying AirAsia from Australia/NZ to N.E. Asia?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 pm

After a bit of search, on AirAsia site it seems like they would allow passengers to book tickets that travel from Australia/NZ via one of their hub to Japan/Korea/Beijing etc. Have anyone tried doing such a relatively long journey on the LCC and how's that? Did they capture any significant share of traffic im this market?

aerorobnz

Re: Flying AirAsia from Australia/NZ to N.E. Asia?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 am

I know someone that flew to S.E Asia on them from AKL, and they wouldn't do it again. They did so for about $399rtn but standard fares are more like $700. Traffic wise they have not made a big impact in the market - there is plenty of competition, so many people are able to get cheap deals to Asia on standard airlines with meals and bags. MH, CZ, CA even KE/SQ/CX all offer fares for similar or not much more at many times during the year.

SJL

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:30 am

Don’t do it! I flew PER-KUL-REP and on the return trip HAN-KUL-PER. Including baggage, food and access to Air Asia’s Red Lounge in KUL (all of which was inevitable due to the length of the journey and layover time) I paid $750 rt. I could have flown SQ for $1100 and I really wish I did. Tight 9 abreast on the a330s, aircraft packed to the gills on every sector, KLIA2 is not an enjoyable place to be for any length of time, awkward departure and arrival times, no mileage accrual. The only salvation was my first flight on an a320neo on the KUL-REP sector. I’ve done PER-DPS-PER on air Asia and had no objection but this latest trip was too much. Never again.

afterburner

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 am

I've flown on AirAsia's A320s several times and don't hesitate to fly on them in the future. However, I don't want to fly on their (AirAsia X's) A330s unless I have no other choices.