Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tofur
Topic Author

From Your Cabin Crew: We Love Our Passengers

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:56 am

Just want people to know that we do appreciate our passengers. This month I have been doing Vancouver and Los Angeles turns from Toronto, 13 hour days on the 767 and 777. It is a long day, physically and emotionally exhausting. Throughout the day we interact with passengers and get to know a bit about them, where they are going, why they are going, their likes, dislikes and preferences. It is actually what makes us enjoy our careers with the airline.

This evening as passengers were deplaning it made me realize once again why I love my job. We stand there smile and genuinely say thank you, and nearly every single passenger smiles and says thank you! It means the world to us and thank you to our amazing passengers!

Chemist

Re: From Your Cabin Crew: We Love Our Passengers

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks for the posting. We wish all crew were like you!
I'm guessing you aren't from the one of the US3 that shall not be named!

FA9295

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:13 am

Yep, constantly being inside a 767 or 777 at 36,000 feet for hours on end does sound exhausting! I'm not a flight attendant, but I do have massive respect for what they do and what they have to put up with, specifically the rowdy and disruptive passengers.

It seems that with the negative media press going around lately regarding the aviation industry (*cough cough*, United...), that we tend to forget the most important parts of the flying experience, and the people that make it all happen!
Last edited by FA9295 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super80Fan

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:13 am

Thank you for all you guys do as well! It definitely can be a thankless job, but it's people like you that make me enjoy flying. Even here in the US we have some great employees, none of which though work for United!

FA9295

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:14 am

Chemist wrote:

Likely on Air Canada, given the flight legs and the type of aircraft(s) that they mentioned... ;)

chunhimlai

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

It sounds like goodbye on deathbed

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 am

tofur wrote:
Just want people to know that we do appreciate our passengers. This month I have been doing Vancouver and Los Angeles turns from Toronto, 13 hour days on the 767 and 777. It is a long day, physically and emotionally exhausting. Throughout the day we interact with passengers and get to know a bit about them, where they are going, why they are going, their likes, dislikes and preferences. It is actually what makes us enjoy our careers with the airline.

This evening as passengers were deplaning it made me realize once again why I love my job. We stand there smile and genuinely say thank you, and nearly every single passenger smiles and says thank you! It means the world to us and thank you to our amazing passengers!

There are some indeed lovely airline staff out there. They do their job with charm and grace. Flying isn't always the nicest thing to do, but the efforts of these people really make the difference.

You've got to respect them. It's not an easy job.

longhauler

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:10 pm

cpd wrote:
You've got to respect them. It's not an easy job.

I recently did a flight with a new hire F/A. Young, eager, happy and willing to jump through hoops for the passenger. But ... it's a fine balance between the new F/As and the older, more experienced ones that can pretty well handle anything and have seen everything. I enjoy flying with both.

But on this flight, I made an announcement to the passengers ... it was her first flight, so I mentioned it in my "welcome aboard from the flight deck" greeting to welcome her to the business. But I reminded the passengers that the last months of her training was not about service, but about "everything else". Not only could she speak four languages, but she was capable of dealing with a cardiac patient with an EAD, knew other country's regulations, knew security procedures and drills right to the letter, knew where "safety equipment" was located in about 8 different aircraft types ... all the while serving your dinner with two spoons and picking out a nice wine with dinner.

I think, even we as enthusiasts forget just how involved the F/A job is!

When saying good bye to the passengers at our destination, (yes I am one of the Captains that do that) quite a few people thanked me for my comments.

LHUSA

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Chemist wrote:

Flight attendants, even at the US 3, do love their passengers. I'm sure you're talking about UA here, so I should add I've only had wonderful interactions with FAs - over 300 segments over the last 5 years. Looks like you've missed the entire point of the OP's post. Can't go 3 responses on anet without someone's cynicism ruining a sweet moment.

klm617

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 pm

So my question is why are they requiring you to do 13 hour days that seems like quit a lot and how can one be alert after flying that long. The whole issue is companies are wiring their employee's to death and after repeated 13 hour days one can not be at top performance that is a proven fact. Thank you for your service indeed but I'm sorry that is not a healthy work environment that your company is subjecting you too.

flydude380

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Chemist wrote:

Are you for real?

Btw, I love my pax too. Well, those pax that genuinely appreciate and recognize the service I give them. When a pax shakes your hand (which happens to me quite a bit sometimes) that’s when you know you’ve done well.

I love the pax who build rapport and a connection with me, for the time I spend with them and the time I spend building rapport and a connection with them.

I love my pax who give me a genuine smile back, just as I greet them with a smile (with my teeth showing)

And I love my pax who know what they are doing and have entiquette and are the most understanding. I also love those who comply.

flydude380

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 pm

klm617 wrote:
So my question is why are they requiring you to do 13 hour days that seems like quit a lot and how can one be alert after flying that long. The whole issue is companies are wiring their employee's to death and after repeated 13 hour days one can not be at top performance that is a proven fact. Thank you for your service indeed but I'm sorry that is not a healthy work environment that your company is subjecting you too.

It’s what some crew bid for at North-American carriers. Doing Coast-Coast flights in North-America can easily mean just 8-10 days of work in a month. And there are some crew who bid coast-coast turn-arounds as they prefer being at home in their own bed than at a hotel. Furthermore, 14 hours is the max duty that crew are allowed to work anyways. Although it is long, the law permits 14 hour max duty period.

davescj

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:01 pm

I generally fly DL. In the many years and miles, I think I've written 1 complaint ever. Was the service always stellar? No. Was it excellent? The vast majority of the time, yes. I don't like some of DL's choices for Skymiles, but they have good instincts and training with customer service agents in general (Club agents, check in, FA, reservations). In one of their smaller stations gate agents recognize pax when they see them, even giving a hug. I've occasionally recognized and FA on a flight and they do as well for people regularly on their route. Yes, the 'bad' stories do need to be addressed. But let's not let a few bad apples spoil a barrel.

longhauler

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm

klm617 wrote:

Those that bid a 13 hour day, do it to reduce their days worked in a month. Witness the block awards, both pilots and flight attendants, and you will see that the top 10% are all single 13 hour days worth 10 - 11 hrs credit each day. No one is "forced" to work a day like that and people remain senior on junior equipment for just such flying.

For example, I work 7 or 8 days a month ... doing YYZ-AUA-YYZ or YYZ-SFO-YYZ. I am not sure if it is "healthy" or not, but I sleep in my own bed in my own time zone every night and only work Tuesdays and Thursdays. I find a day like that far far FAR less tiring than a 10 hour day that could include YYZ-LGA-YYZ-ORD-YYZ. for 7 1/2 hours credit. (I'm too old for that).

Fatigue is a huge issue right now with regard to Threat and Error Management. I get asked about these long Caribbean turns all the time. I have to shrug ... by all common sense, one should be tired on return ... but oddly enough, you are not.

klm617

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:58 pm

longhauler wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Those that bid a 13 hour day, do it to reduce their days worked in a month. Witness the block awards, both pilots and flight attendants, and you will see that the top 10% are all single 13 hour days worth 10 - 11 hrs credit each day. No one is "forced" to work a day like that and people remain senior on junior equipment for just such flying.

For example, I work 7 or 8 days a month ... doing YYZ-AUA-YYZ or YYZ-SFO-YYZ. I am not sure if it is "healthy" or not, but I sleep in my own bed in my own time zone every night and only work Tuesdays and Thursdays. I find a day like that far far FAR less tiring than a 10 hour day that could include YYZ-LGA-YYZ-ORD-YYZ. for 7 1/2 hours credit. (I'm too old for that).

Fatigue is a huge issue right now with regard to Threat and Error Management. I get asked about these long Caribbean turns all the time. I have to shrug ... by all common sense, one should be tired on return ... but oddly enough, you are not.

That makes more sense then and I understand but in the original post the poster would have us believe they are working 13 hours a day which is really not the case.

klm617

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:58 pm

longhauler wrote:
klm617 wrote:

That makes more sense then and I understand but in the original post the poster would have us believe they are working 13 hours a day which is really not the case.

JAAlbert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm just an aviation geek and think every time I step on an aircraft is a special event, so I guess I'm not a typical passenger. Still, I always say hello to the cabin crew and make sure I thank them as I leave. For me, the experience of flying is still miraculous - the thought of lifting all us folks five miles in the air, taking us across continents and oceans, and delivering us safely back onto some distant land, never ceases to amaze me. That's worth a thank you, I think!

PPVLC

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 am

It's nice to hear that from a fellow FA. I was taught to treat passengers the way I would like to be treated and this was my motto throughout my career, I think this is the reason I've never had problems with passengers. I sometimes read the news of FAs not being able to manage simple situations on board, how they quickly escalated into something ugly making the whole group look bad. I wish people could keep in mind that these are exceptions and good FAs never make the news, just the few weak ones.

superjeff

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
I'm just an aviation geek and think every time I step on an aircraft is a special event, so I guess I'm not a typical passenger. Still, I always say hello to the cabin crew and make sure I thank them as I leave. For me, the experience of flying is still miraculous - the thought of lifting all us folks five miles in the air, taking us across continents and oceans, and delivering us safely back onto some distant land, never ceases to amaze me. That's worth a thank you, I think!

Me too, although I did work for a couple of airlines decades ago (both no longer with us). And I always say thank you to the crew for the trip. I think that there are still a few of us who are still thrilled at the physical side of flying! Even in Economy :-)

NozPerry

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Depending on the pax it does make a difference on flights, I love being able to talk to them and build a connection because honestly on 14 hour flights it make sure it pass quicker because you then have something to do like; right I’ll go stock the toilets, do a cabin walk through and then you can think yeah I’ll ask 37F if they’re ok and need anything. I genuinely appreciate when (as horrible as it sounds) when they understand that we are busy sometimes and if we’re eating to allow us a few minutes to finish our meals.
In regards to the alertness on long sectors is lots of coffee (only joking.. but it does help) just keeping yourself busy, I walk through the cabin up to flight deck and back down every 15 minutes just to keep myself alert and to maintain situational awareness, and of course if you can sleep on crew rest it’s a bonus even if it’s just for a couple of hours.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 am

klm617 wrote:
longhauler wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Yeah it’s similar to where I work... if I’m put on reserve they cannot have me work more than 6 consecutive days with 2 days off at each end of the six days 2 off 6 on 2 off, considering commuting from home to my base they allow me to waive those days off and go 1-7-1 then get more strung together.

As longhauler has said “no one is forced into anything”, but we can offer to do more than required to accommodate our personal scheduling desires provided we don’t bust duty limits.