Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sapporo
Topic Author

Customer Service AA vs DL

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Due to advancing snowstorms in the Northeast, I was rerouted by AA onto DL to get from TUL to BOS. I know IRROP's are hard, but at every turn, it seemed like the GA's, FA's, and the phone staff at AA were unfriendly, curt, and even bordered on rude. The opposite was true at DL - at every level, the airline seemed customer-service oriented. Is this a common sentiment? Is there something culturally different at AA vs DL? Or, was this just a series of random interactions I had?

masgniw

Re: Customer Service AA vs DL

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

I've had pretty good customer service with DL over the last few years. I've had a few major delays while flying them -- some weather, some mech. The gate agents -- who had zero control over the delay -- had seemingly infinite patience with the irate passengers and did everything in their power to keep everyone updated and comfortable. After the delayed trips, when I inquired about compensation, customer service agents took the "how can we make this right?" approach and gave me a fair and generous compensation package.

I haven't flown AA regularly in years -- can't really speak to them.

vhtje

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 am

Oh God here we go - yet another DL fanboy thread.

Come on - your experience has to be random. Just as every person has bad and good days, so does every employee at every airline. If AA were more adversely affected by the weather than DL, then it stands to reason that their Customer Service personnel will have been far busier, thus explaining any 'unfriendly, curt' behaviour you experienced.

But a cultural difference that leads to a significantly different level of customer service? I should think not.

I find service on four of the US airlines I have flown with any regularity (AA, VX, AS and WN) excellent compared to international airlines, with staff friendly and approachable. Of course I have also encountered the odd grumpy bad apple, but they were few.

masgniw

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm

vhtje wrote:

Oh God here we go - yet another person making something out of nothing.

Is it not possible that OP was just sharing their experience and seeing if it was unique or not? Not really a big deal.

evank516

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 pm

masgniw wrote:
vhtje wrote:

Oh God here we go - yet another person making something out of nothing.

Is it not possible that OP was just sharing their experience and seeing if it was unique or not? Not really a big deal.

That comment was also made by someone who does not fly DL regularly, however he does frequent AA.

Not a fanboy post, I can't really give you much info since I haven't flown AA since 2014. I can compare DL and B6 and I've seen their service to be roughly equal, with B6 a very small nudge higher.

IPFreely

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 pm

Sapporo wrote:
The opposite was true at DL - at every level, the airline seemed customer-service oriented. Is this a common sentiment? Is there something culturally different at AA vs DL? Or, was this just a series of random interactions I had?

Have you met these two yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqIz8M2CUc

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Let me this straight, AA rebooked you on DL due to weather delays (something they don't have to do and something DL categorically refuses to do in similar circumstances) but AA has the bad customer service? How dare they attempt to get you to your destination!