Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B17GEAA
Topic Author

Aviation Degrees

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 am

What can one expect to do with a Mechanical Engineering - Aerospace degree? What are the job opportunities looking like? Is it a good field to go into?

Thanks.

evank516

Re: Aviation Degrees

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm

My advice for you is to forego an aviation degree and get something a little more generalized unless there's a specific specialty you're looking for. I have a BS in Aviation Administration and I regret every day of it now. It was a huge mistake.

Kno

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 pm

evank516 wrote:
My advice for you is to forego an aviation degree and get something a little more generalized unless there's a specific specialty you're looking for. I have a BS in Aviation Administration and I regret every day of it now. It was a huge mistake.

Not to harp on a sore spot, but would you mind sharing a little more about why? I'm looking to transition into a career in aviation myself and would love to hear about others experiences.

evank516

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Kno wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Not to harp on a sore spot, but would you mind sharing a little more about why? I'm looking to transition into a career in aviation myself and would love to hear about others experiences.

Getting something more generalized will allow you to qualify for positions outside of aviation as well. My recommendation is to gain your basic knowledge through other industries and then bring it into aviation. However, this is only for the business administration side of the field, not something like A&P, maintenance, dispatch, etc. People may look at your resume and wonder why you are applying to work in their company when your degree is specifically for aviation, like mine. It just lets you get more experience and may cause less hurdles in finding a career path. Keep an open mind and don't focus solely on aviation in college. Also, in case you change your mind about working in aviation, you can go elsewhere. I've decided to call it quits on working in the field (and I only kind of work in it) and just keep it as a hobby and now I'm pretty much screwed and can't afford to go back to college and do something else.

geologyrocks

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 am

I do think that an aerospace engineering degree is probably an exception but for full disclosure I am not an engineer. I 100% agree with not doing an aviation management degree or really any type of management degree. They're all equally useless if you ask me.