Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blankbarcode
Topic Author

Planned Stopovers?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I work for a [Certain Charter Airline Part of a German Conglomerate] and have noticed that they do something that's IMO quite unique to the aviation world these days: planned stopovers.
For example, there are flights we operate that go to Marsa Alam via Hurghada. So basically, we fly to Hurghada, some passengers deplane, some new passengers board, and the flight continues on to Marsa Alam with a mix of new and old passengers.

So basically, the passengers from the origin point to Marsa Alam land in Hurghada before they continue on to their final destination. This seems like the older days where this was very common, and I personally haven't heard of/experienced this until now!

Are there other airlines that do this today? What's the experience like for the passenger side?

qcpilotxf

Re: Planned Stopovers?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 pm

The rest of the industry refers to them as Thru or 1 stop flights. They are fairly common domestically in the US and around the world. International legs have fallen out of favor for these, but they are alive and well.

From a passenger perspective it just like making a connection except you keep the same plane and in most places the same crew (and you don't have to run to the other side of the airport)

c933103

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:58 pm

I recall certain American airlines which have just went bankrupt was using their 767 to transport their customers from various points in China to various points in the US, and given the lack of range of 767 they constantly use ANC as stopover.
Actually, while they are relatively less commonplace, I think every week there are still a rather high amount of stopover flights like this taking place, like a number of SQ flights to America, EK's fifth freedom flights, a number of flights to South Pacific, so on so forth

airbazar

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm

It sounds more like a classic "triangle route". You don't see it as much anymore but there are a few, especially to Africa where volume may not be as high to certain destinations so an airline will combine 2 destinations on the same round trip. SN has such routes to Africa, just to name one airline.

qf002

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:03 pm

These flights aren't as common as they once were but there are still plenty of them around (I can think of dozens to/from/within Australia off the top of my head and that's without trying). The experience is basically the same as making a normal connection just without the risk of missing your second flight.

HimalayanFlyer

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm

You see it in Africa quite a bit, although pax don't always deplane. KQ used to operate NBO-LUN-LLW-NBO, and NBO-LLW-LUN-NBO on alternate days and ET operate ADD-LLW-BLZ-ADD. From a passenger perspective it is a bit annoying, you have to sit on the ground for an hour. When I used to fly into LLW I used to try and avoid flights that involved a stopover as it annoyed me.

EightyFour

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Widerøe in Norway still operates certain thru-flights like that, especially in the north. Also in Norway, in 2012 I flew BGO-ARN-HEL on Finnair where ARN was just a stop, and I didn't deplane. I'm pretty sure that BGO-HEL is now non-stop.

sassiciai

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Hey, come on, Guys, stop overs are offered almost everywhere!

If I want to book BRU to MNL, I have a variety of 1-stop options. Almost all of them offer me a stop-over (in their hub) and in most cases, at no extra charge (for flights)

If I decide to fly BRU - HKG on CX, have 2 days in HK, then fly HKG - MNL, I buy the stop-over ticket and don't pay more!

I have done this via HKG, SIN, and AUH on the Manila route several times, and to other destinations elsewhere

Am I missing something in the OP's question? Don't all/most airlines offer stop-overs?

Edit: Is it the situation of the pax who stays on the original flight at the first stop, and continues on to a second stop with same crew/equipment? Ah ha, that's different! I need more time to think that through!
Last edited by sassiciai on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draken21fx

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

EK does DXB-LCA-MLA. The LCA-MLA part is a 2h flight roughly. I think the stop over in LCA is around 1-1,5h.

jumpjets

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm

I am fairly sure that BA still have some of these flights on their London to the Carribean Islands routes - eg LGW-UVF-GND and I think the LGW-TOB routes through one of the other islands.

Blankbarcode
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Apologies for the incorrect term causing some confusion, but thank you all for your answers! Very interesting!

MalevTU134

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

This is simply a triangle route. Nothing new, and, as said above, plenty of them around. Examples: TK IST-BOG-PTY-IST and IST-HAV-CCS-IST.

FlyingHollander

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm

KLM also operates quite a few. Off the top of my head:

AMS-UIO-GYE-AMS
AMS-BOG-CTG-AMS
AMS-DMM-MCT-DMM-AMS
AMS-KWI-BAH-KWI-AMS
AMS-TPE-MNL-TPE-AMS
AMS-SIN-DPS-SIN-AMS
AMS-KUL-CGK-KUL-AMS

There are also a few to East Africa. I believe EBB and KGL as well as DAR and JRO are combined. And there used to be routes like this to the Dutch Caribbean and Kazakhstan, but I'm not sure if those are still around.

Edit: I forgot about AMS-EZE-SCL-EZE-AMS and the relatively new addition of WDH, which is combined with LAD.

chepos

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm

One that is soon coming to an end at AA is MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA. Only the MIA-VVI-MIA will survive.

tribird1011

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 am

During Winter months...

Air Transat YYZ-LIS-OPO-YYZ

zakuivcustom

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:13 am

jumpjets wrote:
I am fairly sure that BA still have some of these flights on their London to the Carribean Islands routes - eg LGW-UVF-GND and I think the LGW-TOB routes through one of the other islands.

Indeed
There's BA2157/2156 or 2256, going LGW-ANU (Daily), then depending on the days, 2/wk each to SKB, TAB, and PLS
Then there's BA2158/2159, LGW-UVF (Daily), continuing to POS 5/wk and GND 2/wk

VS also does the same thing, 2/wk VS89/90 LGW-UVF-GND, and 2/wk VS97/98 LGW-UVF-TAB. Don't know if you can just buy the ticket on the UVF-GND/TAB sector on VS, though (I randomly search for UVF-GND and only BA shows up).

TheEuphorian

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am

airbazar wrote:
It sounds more like a classic "triangle route". You don't see it as much anymore but there are a few, especially to Africa where volume may not be as high to certain destinations so an airline will combine 2 destinations on the same round trip. SN has such routes to Africa, just to name one airline.

Another example is TG's Bangkok-Gaya-Varansi-Bangkok route

fry530

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:33 am

How about Icelandair?

They offer a couple days of a stopover in Iceland along with a ticket to somewhere else in Europe, like Paris or London. At least here in the US they advertise that. I know it works well for them, as it draws the tourist traffic that wants to see some famous European city and get to go to another country for no extra air fare. Plus I know it has driven tourist traffic to Iceland as well.

directorguy

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:30 pm

You mention that some passengers enplane at HRG. Presumably they're going back to Germany and not RMF so probably a triangular routing e.g. DUS-HRG-RMF-DUS.
The Red Sea resorts in Egypt are very popular with Germans so you get flights like these all the time.

HELyes

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 am

EightyFour wrote:
Widerøe in Norway still operates certain thru-flights like that, especially in the north. Also in Norway, in 2012 I flew BGO-ARN-HEL on Finnair where ARN was just a stop, and I didn't deplane. I'm pretty sure that BGO-HEL is now non-stop.

Finnair still operates thru-flights to BGO via ARN, their partner Wideroe have direct service BGO-HEL.