brian415
Topic Author

People-mover that uses same trainset and tracks to SERVE both landside and airside

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 am

I distinctly remember having rode on a people-mover system at KIX that segregated landside and airside passengers on the same trainset. The innovation involved compartments and glass doors that prevented intermingling of passengers.

COSPN

Re: People-mover that uses same trainset and tracks to SERVE both landside and airside

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am

I think it was separation of arriving and departing passengers... never anyone. From “outside”

WIederling

Re: People-mover that uses same trainset and tracks to SERVE both landside and airside

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am

brian415 wrote:
The innovation involved compartments and glass doors that prevented intermingling of passengers.

completely ot:
The (3 station) transit underground rail below Heathrow. What a failure!
Murphy is an optimist

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am

Singapore did the same with their Skytrain (forgive me if I didn't remember the name as it was five years since I went to SIN). For all lines, one carriage is for landside pax transfer while the other carriage is for airside pax. The two carriages are physically separated (as two carriages I believe can be separated for different sets).

That's the only other one that pops into my mind. Most of the people movers serve either landside (seldom) or airside, or better arrivals and departures (maybe in separate directions, e.g. ICN and HKG).

Michael

Bhoy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 am

The train at Zurich from the E building to the main building has separate compartments for arriving pax and sterile transit pax who've already cleared security for their onward flights, again with movable glass dividers depending on passenger flow.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am

Operationally since years at FRA connecting several stops between T1 and T2 with possible extensionto T3 in the next decade. Airside passengers cannot Exit/load landside and vv.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

bennator

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 am

Besides SIN which is mentioned above, the people mover in TPE does the same thing in the same way. Two carriages, coupled together but with no physical way between them, one of which opens doors to landside, and the other to airside

doug_or

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

The train to the S Gates in SEA has separates cars for passengers who've cleared customs and immigration but not been rescreened.
When in doubt, one B pump off

388crazy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm

brian415 wrote:
I distinctly remember having rode on a people-mover system at KIX that segregated landside and airside passengers on the same trainset. The innovation involved compartments and glass doors that prevented intermingling of passengers.

I was at KIX just over a week ago and it's not separating landside and airside but instead arriving and departing passengers.
Types: 320, 321, 332, 333, 359, 388, 737, 738, 739, 74L, 744, 752, 753, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, CR7, DH4, E170, E175
Airlines: 6E, 9W, AA, AS, CX, D7, DJ, DL, EK, FJ, IR, JJ, JQ, KQ, LB, MH, MI, NZ, QF, SG, SQ, TG, TT, UA, VA

mozart

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

With the exception of the two Paris airports, CDG and ORY, any airport in Schengenland that has such a train, as they all have to deal with a distinction between transfers/arrivals coming from "clean" countries and "unclean" countries.

Zurich and Frankfurt were already mentioned, but also MUC. LHR as well, albeit not in Schengen land

chunhimlai

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm

KUL too

Both KUL t1 and SIN T1-T3 has security scan in front of the gates so there is no separation of dep/arr pax using people-train

r2rho

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:16 pm

EWR could really use something like this to finally provide an airside connection between terminals, while replacing the too small and outdated curent people mover.

txjim

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

DFW had the Airtrans system groundside then added the TrAAin system to service AA terminals airside in 1990 using the same tracks. The system ended for passengers in 2003 with the airside Skylink system starting in 2005.

brian415
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 am

txjim wrote:
DFW had the Airtrans system groundside then added the TrAAin system to service AA terminals airside in 1990 using the same tracks. The system ended for passengers in 2003 with the airside Skylink system starting in 2005.

FALSE. TrAAin was exclusively LANDSIDE. Its top speed was not much more than 10 miles per hour. It was decommissioned because there was no value in maintaining a landside people mover.

Birdwatching

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm

MUC even has an airside bus that physically segregates Schengen and non-Schengen pax with a huge glass barrier. Depending on the bus stop, only the doors in the front or rear open.

Meanwhile in the USA, there is no way to transfer airside between terminals at many hubs. It's not exactly rocket science.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

aeromoe

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 am

Birdwatching wrote:
Meanwhile in the USA, there is no way to transfer airside between terminals at many hubs. It's not exactly rocket science.

Not exactly rocket science but it can be expensive to implement. Airside busses are one option...a dedicated people-mover like DFW is another option. If the terminals are designed for it from the outset it is much easier to construct and implement than if not designed for it. I really don't know how many airports in the USA other than those with them already in use have a reasonable capability to have an airside people-mover engineered into their existing terminal layouts. I can say those that have them either above or below ground are certainly convenient. I know I'm only restating the obvious but this is a discussion forum.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

txjim

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 pm

brian415 wrote:
txjim wrote:

FALSE. TrAAin was exclusively LANDSIDE. Its top speed was not much more than 10 miles per hour. It was decommissioned because there was no value in maintaining a landside people mover.

My memory and Wikipedia says otherwise but I'm not claiming either one to be perfect.

From Wikipedia:
In 1991 American Airlines built 2 new stations each in Terminals A (2E) and C (3E) for $38 million as part of the new "TrAAm" (later, "TrAAin" service).[22] The modern stations, built adjacent to employee stations on the secure ramp side, allowed connecting passengers to transfer between American's terminals without exiting security to use the inter-terminal airport train. These stations provided escalator service directly to the terminal gate areas. A fifth TrAAin station serving Terminal B (2W) was later constructed along a guideway when American Airlines expanded to that terminal. This new service resulted in termination of the Airtrans cargo service, as all cargo vehicles were converted to passenger vehicles.