Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Yflyer
Topic Author

Connecting in HNL and KOA

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

I recently redeemed my United miles for a trip to Kauai this August. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to find Saver awards in both directions on reasonable dates, however they required an interline connection between UA and HA (which is kind of a plus for me as I'll get to fly on a 717 for the first time).

My outbound flights are SFO-HNL on UA and HNL-LIH on HA. Return is LIH-KOA on HA and KOA-SFO on UA.

I assume my flight to HNL will arrive at the Overseas Terminal and the inter-island flight will depart from the Interisland Terminal. Are those two terminals connected behind security? I've got nearly 3 hours to connect, but I'd rather not have to go through another TSA screening if I don't have to.

For the return flights, I see that KOA has two "concourses", and I read somewhere that there were plans to connect them behind security. Has then been completed, or should it be by August? From what I could glean from looking at each airlines' websites it looks like they're in different concourses there.

mcg

Re: Connecting in HNL and KOA

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm

No problem at HNL, it's just a nice long-ish walk, part of which will be outdoors. In KOA HA and UA are in different facilities (it would be a stretch to call them 'concourses') and you will have to go thru security there. KOA is a nice airport, very Hawaiian.

MrBretz

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I find it “interesting” that your return is via KOA not HNL. I presume HA will transfer your bag for you. In that case, you will exit baggage claim, make a left, and and take a short walk north in the sun to the UA terminal. You will go thru security again. Kona is very uncrowded generally. I have seen exceptions if there are delays or cancellations.

scoping2008

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 am

HA 717s are a fun ride. Seats don't recline (not that you'll need to on such a short flight). But, the Hawaiian Flight Attendants will run through the cabin offering you sealed cups of water or POG juice and complimentary HA maps of the island you are arriving at.