Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flyboy1266
Topic Author

AA Baggage Allowance/Rules ex Australia

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

Long time lurker, first time poster, this question is more likely for the agents out there.
I am currently in the process of booking an extensive multi city itinerary ex PER to the USA and initial budget quotations has seen the AA Airpass as the most sensible cost effective option. Itinerary as follows, PER-JFK-BUF-MIA-LAS-SEA-SFO-LAX-HNL-PER, flights within Australia and HNL-PER are on QF metal with AA codeshare flight numbers. I have had conflicting advice from a number of travel agents in regards to 2 x 23 kg checked bags on all sectors, Some are saying because all sectors are on the one ticket and ex Australia that the 2 x 23 kg checked bags are free on all sectors, whereas others have said that this only applies to the "international" sectors and not the internal USA flights. I'm a little confused as I did a similar itinerary with another carrier in 2016 and baggage was all inclusive. Anyone have any ideas ?

SpinOn2

Re: AA Baggage Allowance/Rules ex Australia

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

It depends on how long you are staying at places, if it's connecting or visiting for more than 12 hours... International will be free, but any onward flights (not connections) will cost $25 for first bag $35 for second bag if by yourself normally.

However, I believe with airpass depending on the tier you are, it comes with a certain elite status which gets free checked bags. If you are gold, it's one free bag, Plat, Plat Pro is 2, Exec Plat is 3. (Domestic, so it would cover all your intra-US flts)

I would suggest calling AA about Airpass, see what plan would get you what elite level. Then you will know how many free bags you get.

RyanairGuru

Re: AA Baggage Allowance/Rules ex Australia

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:36 am

If it is one ticket number then 2x23 applies on all flights, domestic or international. If the internals are ticketed separately then bag fees apply.

To be honest the reason that you are getting conflicting information is probably that some travel agents are quoting it as one ticket and others could be quoting the US internals separately. As a travel agent in Australia I always look at the fare all on the same ticket and broken up onto separate tickets to work out what would be the best value.

As it is, that itinerary would DEFINITELY quote one one ticket ex-Australia so I would be sure to ask your travel agent that is what they are doing before paying.