Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OneX123
Topic Author

My One (Extremely Minor) Norwegian Pet Peeve

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi All,

I am originally from Boston but have lived and worked in London for quite a while. Therefore, I've flown Norwegian's LGW-BOS route many, many times.

Before the pet peeve I must say that I've always enjoyed the flight & service and found the prices to be amazing (typically sub $400 when BA and Legacy's charge over $1K)

However, when boarding the 787 (or right after takeoff) there is a quick welcome video played on all the PTV's. The video shows air to air shots of the 787 while saying the cabin has better pressurization and Norwegian's mix of new 737's, 737-Max's, and 787's make them one of the most efficient airliners around.

The part that always stuck out to me is when they're talking about the 787's windows. The narrator says "We've made them X amount bigger than...". Now I understand this is an extremely small point to write a post about but I was wondering if any of you have realized this as well?

To the average flier who's actually paying attention to the video, it may sound like Norwegian has made their own 787's window bigger, and that their 787 has bigger windows than other airlines.

Wondering your thoughts!

Egerton

Re: My One (Extremely Minor) Norwegian Pet Peeve

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Please consider referring your issue to the UK Advertising Standards Authority. They do a good job in stopping untrue or misleading adverts.

AAvgeek744

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

OneX123 wrote:
Hi All,

I am originally from Boston but have lived and worked in London for quite a while. Therefore, I've flown Norwegian's LGW-BOS route many, many times.

Before the pet peeve I must say that I've always enjoyed the flight & service and found the prices to be amazing (typically sub $400 when BA and Legacy's charge over $1K)

However, when boarding the 787 (or right after takeoff) there is a quick welcome video played on all the PTV's. The video shows air to air shots of the 787 while saying the cabin has better pressurization and Norwegian's mix of new 737's, 737-Max's, and 787's make them one of the most efficient airliners around.

The part that always stuck out to me is when they're talking about the 787's windows. The narrator says "We've made them X amount bigger than...". Now I understand this is an extremely small point to write a post about but I was wondering if any of you have realized this as well?

To the average flier who's actually paying attention to the video, it may sound like Norwegian has made their own 787's window bigger, and that their 787 has bigger windows than other airlines.

Wondering your thoughts!

It's my experience, very few pax even know what type aircraft they are on unless it's brought out in the safety briefing and see it on the cards. I've a friend who for the past ten years swears she flew to Hawaii on a Southwest 747. We as avgeeks probably over analyze everything. I doubt Norwegian is going this to gain brownie points with flyers.

TC957

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

It's just DY blowing their own trumpet on the benefits of a 787. I would guess most people realize Boeing didn't make 787 windows any bigger for DY than anyone else.
Another example of iffy airline advertising is VS who harp on about the " new " A330-200's joining them this spring. As we all know they aren't new, but ex-AB.

Mortyman

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

OneX123 wrote:
Hi All,

Wondering your thoughts!

I would have thought it was not Norwegian themselves that made these type of videos, but that it is a made to order video by Boeing media.

OneX123
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Mortyman wrote:
OneX123 wrote:
Hi All,

I would have thought it was not Norwegian themselves that made these type of videos, but that it is a made to order video by Boeing media.

I would think if it was Boeing that made the video they might be a bit for boastful...ie "Boeing has made these windows X amount bigger..."

To an earlier comment; It's not that I think it's false advertising to a point that needs reporting to authorities...I just always found it to be a funny little play on words. As one said above, probably 98% of passengers don't even listen to the video so could just be my over-analysis.

Appreciate the response, all!

Goodbye

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm

It's quite normal for a company to say "we've...." when they mean a manufacturer or supplier has done that thing.

They have to make these videos for the lowest common denominator, and for that person, they probably don't know who Boeing is, therefore it is quite fine to say "We've made the windows bigger", rather than "Boeing has made the windows bigger".

32andBelow

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 pm

They have made the windows bigger by buying a new airplane. If they made the windows of their HDQ bigger do they have to mention the contractor and all the sub contractors when announcing th change?

Arion640

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 pm

TC957 wrote:
It's just DY blowing their own trumpet on the benefits of a 787. I would guess most people realize Boeing didn't make 787 windows any bigger for DY than anyone else.

Awhh I'm not sure, If I told a few people I know airliners are custom made to order they would believe me. There's some silly people about. But like mentioned, us avgeeks over analyse everything.

I once overheard someone on an Emirates A380 flight saying that the A380 is a big plane, but doesn't beat the Boeing 747 that has 3 decks.

BartSimpson

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 am

OneX123 wrote:
Hi All,

... when BA and Legacy's charge over $1K)

To the average flier who's actually paying attention to the video, it may sound like Norwegian has made their own 787's window bigger,

Honestly, if you rant about some really minor semantic error, then please do it in a grammatically correct way. It's legacies (plural), not legacy's (genitive case).

Rant over.