Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BawliBooch
Topic Author

Aircraft Type with the most number of Hijackings

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Was going through a database of hijackings and was struck by how many incidents have involved the Airbus A300 - 62 in total that I could count.

Wonder which aircraft type has had the most number of hijack incidents in its career?

BawliBooch
Topic Author

Re: Aircraft Type with the most number of Hijackings

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Also interesting that American Airlines had not one but 2 hijackings in 2 years at the same airport (Haiti) with the same aircraft!

I guess AA only flew their A300's on some Carribbean routes - but still interesting.

IADCA

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 pm

If you have a database of hijackings sortable by aircraft type, why don't you just answer your own question?

It may well be the A300, and if not, it'd likely be something in widespread use throughout most of the mid-60s through 1980s when hijackings were more common, which would tend to suggest older-model Boeings (707, 727, 737, 747) as well as A300 and perhaps DC-9.

SeaDoo

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm

I would guess 707

BWIAirport

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Certainly interesting data, but this is, of course, an example of "correlation does not equal causation." My guess would certainly be older, longer-range planes, such as the A300/767, as mentioned.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Is this a real thread? You have the data, why put it out there? Especially on a topic like this. Use some common sense before engaging.

BawliBooch
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

IADCA wrote:
If you have a database of hijackings sortable by aircraft type, why don't you just answer your own question?

The database I "have" is aviation-safety! :P

I am just analysing the data there as an academic exercise.

Unfortunately that site doesnt list the hijackings per type as such. One will have to do individual types one by one. Thought members on the forum will have some idea on the most common type.

BWIAirport wrote:
Certainly interesting data, but this is, of course, an example of "correlation does not equal causation." My guess would certainly be older, longer-range planes, such as the A300/767, as mentioned.

I got into this exercise after hearing a comment from someone who worked with security services that IC814 was specifically targetted because (a) it was one of the flights operated by a widebody and (b) it originated in Nepal - where Pakistani intel had a decent network.

Part (a) of the comment was what got my attention. Is there something about a widebody aircraft that makes it easier to hijack? Is it somehow more convenient, especially for a hijacking that is intended to last for a long time? Was this guy talking sense? Or was it the beer talking? :P

September11

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 am

Oh my, I was not aware of the hijackings on Eastern A-300s

The most storied hijacking: The hijacked TWA 727 in Europe that lasted for days (3 weeks?)

I feel 727s were prone to hijackings back then

RohanDXB

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:24 pm

IADCA wrote:

It may well be the A300, and if not, it'd likely be something in widespread use throughout most of the mid-60s through 1980s when hijackings were more common, which would tend to suggest older-model Boeings (707, 727, 737, 747) as well as A300 and perhaps DC-9.

Exactly what I was thinking too. The most common types would be the ones flying when hijackings were most common. 1969-72 seems particularly busy in terms of # of incidents so I imagine the common aircraft of the time would be your best candidates.

Ro