Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Caryjack
Topic Author

Air Shows for Travelers

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:32 am

Air shows are put on when the weather has the best chance of being nice. I like travel and like air shows so if I do both I will have nice weather. Seems simple enough.
I'm general admission and it looks like I could have been admitted to this years Singapore air show, but what others? Not Farnborough but what other large civilian or military show will let me in?

If I plan my travels around air shows, where am I able to go?

As someone here once said, "I'd rather be in a crowded air show then lay on a beach", or something like that.
Thanks,
Cary

Balerit

Re: Air Shows for Travelers

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:45 am

South Africa hosts some great airshows with heavy involvement from the SAAF. The big ones are at Swartkops Airforce base and AAD at Waterkloof Airforce base.

http://www.airshowsa.org.za/

Caryjack
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Balerit wrote:
South Africa hosts some great airshows with heavy involvement from the SAAF. The big ones are at Swartkops Airforce base and AAD at Waterkloof Airforce base.

Thanks Balerit. Cape Town is one of my favorite cities so this will give me an excuse to visit Pretoria on my next trip to South Africa. It's a good time to visit the region so my theory holds. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Cary

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Caryjack wrote:
If I plan my travels around air shows, where am I able to go?

The World's Greatest Airshow; RIAT 2018, 13-15 July, RAF Fairford
......followed one week later by Farnborough.

Either one is worth the trip; both together is a no-brainer.

Balerit

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Caryjack wrote:
Balerit wrote:

Thanks Balerit. Cape Town is one of my favorite cities so this will give me an excuse to visit Pretoria on my next trip to South Africa. It's a good time to visit the region so my theory holds. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Cary

Swartkops airshow is on the 5th May and AAD on 19th-23rd September.

Caryjack
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

The World's Greatest Airshow; RIAT 2018, 13-15 July, RAF Fairford
......followed one week later by Farnborough.

Either one is worth the trip; both together is a no-brainer.

Thanks SheikhDjibouti. RIAT looks very interesting, plus it's located in a very nice part of the country. I didn't realize that I could get into Farnborough....I must have confused it with Dubai.
Cary

Caryjack
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 am

Balerit wrote:
Caryjack wrote:
Balerit wrote:

Thanks,
Cary

Swartkops airshow is on the 5th May and AAD on 19th-23rd September.

Hello Balerit,
I see you found the thread. :smile:
I miss-used the calendar in the link you provided and got the wrong date...but I have it now.
Thanks,
Cary

PatrickZ80

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

The "Luchtmachtdagen" (Air force days) of the Netherlands Air Force always include an airshow. This year (2018) there won't be any for financial reasons, but next year there will be. The date is still unknown but expected to be somewhere in june. The location is known, it'll be at Volkel Airbase.

Note that if you want to get there, Volkel doesn't see any commercial flights but it's rather close to Eindhoven which is the second-largest airport in the Netherlands. From Eindhoven Volkel is easy to reach. Amsterdam is less recommended since it's further from Volkel and it takes longer to get there.

VSMUT

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Paris Airshow. Close to CDG, and you can catch dedicated shuttle busses directly from there to the airshow in Le Bourget. If you can book the flights yourself or request it, it could be done during a long connection. Next one won't be until 2019 though.

The Danish AF is holding its airshow this year on the 10th of June in Aalborg. It is a bit out of the way, but at least Aalborg airport is relatively well served by commercial flights. This show is one of the bigger ones in Europe, easily attracting over 150.000 on the single day this airshow is on. Some of this years highlights include practically all types in the Swiss AF, and the Ukrainian Su-27.