Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fbgdavidson

Re: Visiting the cockpit of an aircraft inflight

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Just accept you won't get to visit midflight and work around that...ask about visiting on the ground before departure (as long as you board as early as you can) or after.

A couple of years back I was invited up to the flightdeck on an AA 757. The wife and I were flying STT-MIA-JFK and at STT we were the first to board via the stairs and the captain greeted us and asked if we could wait a second as the FAs were just tidying things up. Less than a minute later we were onboard....fast forward to a few hours later where we board our completely different 757 for the hop to JFK. Who greets us by the door but the same captain! He asked the wife and I if we wanted to come forward into the cockpit whilst the flight prepared to depart. My wife dropped me in it and said I learned to fly with the Royal Air Force, at which point I'm put in the left seat with his hat on and start working through the pre-flight checks with the FO. I get as far as firing up the APU when the purser from FC lets the captain know that we are pushing back shortly and sadly the fun had to end shortly thereafter...I was on a high for the rest of the night!

Other than flying privately it was the first time I've been in the cockpit since just after 9/11.

studentdrbev
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
Just accept you won't get to visit midflight and work around that...ask about visiting on the ground before departure (as long as you board as early as you can) or after.

A couple of years back I was invited up to the flightdeck on an AA 757. The wife and I were flying STT-MIA-JFK and at STT we were the first to board via the stairs and the captain greeted us and asked if we could wait a second as the FAs were just tidying things up. Less than a minute later we were onboard....fast forward to a few hours later where we board our completely different 757 for the hop to JFK. Who greets us by the door but the same captain! He asked the wife and I if we wanted to come forward into the cockpit whilst the flight prepared to depart. My wife dropped me in it and said I learned to fly with the Royal Air Force, at which point I'm put in the left seat with his hat on and start working through the pre-flight checks with the FO. I get as far as firing up the APU when the purser from FC lets the captain know that we are pushing back shortly and sadly the fun had to end shortly thereafter...I was on a high for the rest of the night!

Other than flying privately it was the first time I've been in the cockpit since just after 9/11.

Thats just awesome. Hope I get a chance like that too :hissyfit:

studentdrbev
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Let’s ask some US based flight crew members on this forum for you input.

A regular flyer, who is well aware of 9/11 and security rules, approaches you during a flight and asks to visit the flight deck in flight. This person knows full well that is illegal but asks you anyway.

How do you react? What would you think if that happened?

Not every regular flyer flies with airlines flying into the US and certainly not everyone lives in the US, do they?

KLDC10

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 pm

a340crew wrote:
Really you can't even stand at the front galley waiting for the toilet to open because congregating is a security concern....

As a pilot I can tell you if a flight attendant called me and told me this, given its a grown adult asking and not a 4 year old kid, the cockpit would go on lockdown and we are looking for somewhere to divert. I am also sure there will be some guys waiting when we arrive to ask the individual some questions.

In the USA an announcement is made on most airlines "The flight deck door is at the front of the aircraft and unauthorized persons are not permitted access"

And you are a pilot for which airline exactly?
If you really are a pilot, wouldn't your airline take a dim view of diverting at great cost because of an innocuous question?

Your final point is utter rubbish. I haven't heard an announcement like that once. I primarily fly with Delta in the US, but I've also taken flights with United and American. I've heard announcements telling passengers not to congregate around lavatories, but not to tell them they can't access the flight deck.

jeffh747

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Yeah I’ve never in 19 years of flying, ever heard such an announcement as “the flight deck door is at the front of the aircraft and unauthorized persons are not permitted access”. There’s certainly a placard by the door that says Flight Crew Only, but I’ve never heard an announcement. I smell something fishy here.

As others have said, if you ask during flight, 9/10 times you’re gonna be told no. You’re not going to be interrogated for terrorism or anything like that. You can ask however during boarding to visit the cockpit or after landing. If the crews aren’t busy or if there isn’t a delay, they’ll generally try to accommodate you.

IPFreely

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 am

a340crew wrote:
In the USA an announcement is made on most airlines "The flight deck door is at the front of the aircraft and unauthorized persons are not permitted access"

Which airlines announce this? I've never heard it on Alaska, Allegiant, American, Delta, Southwest, United, or any of the regionals I've flown -- not even once. But I've never flown Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and some regionals. Are they the ones who announce this? Do they announce it on every flight like the rest of the safety briefing?

Bhoy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:21 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
a340crew wrote:
Really you can't even stand at the front galley waiting for the toilet to open because congregating is a security concern....

As a pilot I can tell you if a flight attendant called me and told me this, given its a grown adult asking and not a 4 year old kid, the cockpit would go on lockdown and we are looking for somewhere to divert. I am also sure there will be some guys waiting when we arrive to ask the individual some questions.

One of the multiple US operators of A340s, presumably. :roll:

VSMUT

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
You are paranoid, nobody is going to arrest or question you for asking in Europe. It isn't illegal to ask in the first place, so the police wouldn't even bother to interfere. I know, because I have asked a ton of times over the past few years, and I have yet to be questioned, arrested or warned.

And FYI, a lot more than one major european airline allows jumpseaters.

Next time you are in the US ask for a jumpseat ride in flight, smart guy. See how far you get.

No disrespect, but you might want to read my response first. Specifically the part about "Europe" ;) Smart guy...

BoeingGuy wrote:
Further, the crew probably thinks you are either a terrorist or, more likely, a complete idiot for asking.

Or more likely they will think that you are just very interested in how a massive machine moving at several hundred kilometers per hour works, as has always been the case with any sane person. Same reason why "Pilot" always figures on the list of most attractive jobs, or why Space X just had the 2nd most viewed live stream in the history of the internet.

KLDC10 wrote:

Most certainly not with Air France. That airline is pretty good when accommodating curious guests.

thaiflyer

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 am

This is best read i had for a long time :-)
I'm not a pilot i even i can see a lot of bullocks written here.
I fly for my work on a weekly basis for over 29 years (non US carriers) and never heard a announcement about the cockpit location or door etc.
During my many flights with Asian carriers and i know that some of them still allows cockpit visits on rare occasions.
And i'm convinced that nobody would be arrested for polity asking and probable polity being refused :-)
Unless you fly with a certain American carrier in which case you will be probable almost beaten to dead and dragged of the plane.

IPFreely

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:26 am

a340crew wrote:

Still wondering which airlines announce this? I've never heard it on Alaska, Allegiant, American, Delta, Southwest, United, or any of the regionals I've flown -- not even once. But I've never flown Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and some regionals. Are they the ones who announce this? Do they announce it on every flight like the rest of the safety briefing?

a340crew

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 am

IPFreely wrote:
a340crew wrote:

Still wondering which airlines announce this? I've never heard it on Alaska, Allegiant, American, Delta, Southwest, United, or any of the regionals I've flown -- not even once. But I've never flown Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and some regionals. Are they the ones who announce this? Do they announce it on every flight like the rest of the safety briefing?

Its a standard announcement on Jetblue when the main cabin door is closed.

Super80Fan

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 am

a340crew wrote:

Do you mean "Please do not congregate, stand, or form a line in the forward galley"? I've heard that before but I've never heard that announcement before on my American, United, US Airways, AirTran, Southwest, Delta, Virgin America, Hawaiian, Spirit, JetBlue, or countless regional jet flights....

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 am

Super80Fan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
"Inappropriate and amateurish"? "Foolish and disrespectful"? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I travel enough in the US to know that there is nothing wrong with asking

If you are asking flight crews to let you visit a flight deck in flight in the US in 2018 you are really a fool.

Clearly you know nothing about the industry. And you aren’t intelligent enough to know it. One of these days you are going to rub a flight crew the wrong way and you will be in trouble.

Are you talking about asking to visit mid-flight or talking about visiting all-together, such as before/after the flight?

We were talking about asking for an in-flight flight deck visit on a US carrier. Despite the fact that I work in the industry and even have a bit of an airplane security background, a couple of posters think they know more and were laughing at me when I stated it’s not even a good idea to ask.

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 am

ACDC8 wrote:
a340crew wrote:

What a load of rubbish!

The cockpit does not go “in lockdown” if a grow adult respectfully asks a question. No one will be waiting for you to ask questions when you arrive.

But here’s a question. Something we see everyday all over the US. If some pax are waiting in front to use the loo, “congregating” being the term? Do those pax cause the flight deck to “lockdown” as well? Will those pax have someone waiting to ask “questions” upon arrival? Of course not. They’re politely asked to please return to their seats and wait there. The plane doesn’t go into Def Con 4 and the Men in Black aren’t “waiting” for them either.

Nice. You just told an actual pilot that his response about action a pilot would take is a load of rubbish.

This is why I stopped posting on this tread for awhile.

What’s the old saying? Never argue with an......

I’m going to laugh when one of you jokers ask the wrong crew for an in-flight visit and get hauled off by the police sometime.

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 am

studentdrbev wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

A regular flyer, who is well aware of 9/11 and security rules, approaches you during a flight and asks to visit the flight deck in flight. This person knows full well that is illegal but asks you anyway.

Not every regular flyer flies with airlines flying into the US and certainly not everyone lives in the US, do they?

No but we were discussing whether it’s a smart idea to ask for an in flight cockpit visit on a US carrier.

ual747den

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am

I am amazed by the arguing back and forth on here about this subject. If you are flying in the US don't even ask to visit the cockpit inflight! It is not just a company policy not to let you in but it is against the law. If you are a grown adult asking such a question it is a little suspicious and even just the slightest little thing or miscommunication could take that from a little suspicious to a lot suspicious. You already know that it is not allowed and that the crew had peers who were murdered because the wrong people gained access to the flight deck so it is insensitive to the crew to even ask. As an adult and as an aviation enthusiast you know that its not allowed and you know why so just leave it alone and if you would like to visit the flight deck wait until everyone else has deboarded and ask the crew then, they will be happy to let you go up there and take some pictures. If you have your kids with you they will most likely be happy to let them sit down in the seat and take pictures wearing the pilots hat!

Nicoeddf

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

ual747den wrote:
I am amazed by the arguing back and forth on here about this subject. If you are flying in the US don't even ask to visit the cockpit inflight! It is not just a company policy not to let you in but it is against the law. If you are a grown adult asking such a question it is a little suspicious and even just the slightest little thing or miscommunication could take that from a little suspicious to a lot suspicious. You already know that it is not allowed and that the crew had peers who were murdered because the wrong people gained access to the flight deck so it is insensitive to the crew to even ask. As an adult and as an aviation enthusiast you know that its not allowed and you know why so just leave it alone and if you would like to visit the flight deck wait until everyone else has deboarded and ask the crew then, they will be happy to let you go up there and take some pictures. If you have your kids with you they will most likely be happy to let them sit down in the seat and take pictures wearing the pilots hat!

You see, and I am amazed by the amount of paranoia going on between you and BoeingGuy. It's irrational and childish to imply Police hauling you off the aircraft for politely asking if a Cockpit visit possible or not. Not everybody is an industry insider, not everybody knows "the law".
And you see, I hazard the guess that none of the 9/11 terrorists asked politely if he might, if it isn't too much of a disturbance, just visit the flight deck and then pulled off their stunt.

Hence, I suggest getting back to reality. Reality is: Nobody planning taking control of a plane is asking the F/As if he just might visit upfront. Further reality is, that this cracking down on people asking polite questions is one of the least topics anybody should invest time in. Are they stupid for asking? Surely not. A bit ignorant? Maybe. A safety hazard? God, no.

A professional crew does exactly one thing: Smiling back and politely explaining, that a flight deck visit, unfortunately, is not possible inflight. But that maybe he/she can get a glimpse later at the gate.

No, lets stop the drama, please.

VSMUT

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:46 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
studentdrbev wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

No but we were discussing whether it’s a smart idea to ask for an in flight cockpit visit on a US carrier.

OP specifically mentioned Malaysia Airlines and Kuala Lumpur. I fail to see how that equates to discussing US carriers specifically.

Super80Fan

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

If you are asking flight crews to let you visit a flight deck in flight in the US in 2018 you are really a fool.

Clearly you know nothing about the industry. And you aren’t intelligent enough to know it. One of these days you are going to rub a flight crew the wrong way and you will be in trouble.

Are you talking about asking to visit mid-flight or talking about visiting all-together, such as before/after the flight?

We were talking about asking for an in-flight flight deck visit on a US carrier. Despite the fact that I work in the industry and even have a bit of an airplane security background, a couple of posters think they know more and were laughing at me when I stated it’s not even a good idea to ask.

OK that makes more sense lol. First & Last time I was in a cockpit mid-flight was in May 2000 when I was 4 years old. Been in cockpits many times after but of course on the ground.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

ual747den wrote:
You already know that it is not allowed and that the crew had peers who were murdered because the wrong people gained access to the flight deck so it is insensitive to the crew to even ask. As an adult and as an aviation enthusiast you know that its not allowed and you know why so just leave it alone

"You already know that it is not allowed..." :lol:

I'm fairly certain a large proportion of the US general population do not "know" this for a fact.

And I'm absolutely certain that the majority of visitors from outside the US do not "know" this.

I doubt if even all us avgeeks here on a.net all "know" this!

"As an adult and as an aviation enthusiast..."
Ok, notwithstanding my point immediately above, within those strict limitations you have the merest beginnings of a logical argument. It would be a waste of time to even ask.

Now tell me how the crew on any US plane will "know " that you, or I, or anyone else, is an aviation enthusiast who must therefore possess this insight?
The answer is that they must treat us simply as another passenger asking a simple question.

Otherwise the US must ensure that this information is published with large signage at every airport worldwide with connections to the US, and that every foreign government drills this information into their citizens if they are foolish enough to contemplate visiting the "Land of the Free" and the home of the distinctly paranoid.

It would approximate to jailing American tourists for taking selfies outside Buckingham Palace, and asking if the Queen was at home today.

Hang on..... looks like she is too......

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
ual747den wrote:

You see, and I am amazed by the amount of paranoia going on between you and BoeingGuy. It's irrational and childish to imply Police hauling you off the aircraft for politely asking if a Cockpit visit possible or not. Not everybody is an industry insider, not everybody knows "the law".
And you see, I hazard the guess that none of the 9/11 terrorists asked politely if he might, if it isn't too much of a disturbance, just visit the flight deck and then pulled off their stunt.

Hence, I suggest getting back to reality. Reality is: Nobody planning taking control of a plane is asking the F/As if he just might visit upfront. Further reality is, that this cracking down on people asking polite questions is one of the least topics anybody should invest time in. Are they stupid for asking? Surely not. A bit ignorant? Maybe. A safety hazard? God, no.

A professional crew does exactly one thing: Smiling back and politely explaining, that a flight deck visit, unfortunately, is not possible inflight. But that maybe he/she can get a glimpse later at the gate.

No, it's not drama. There's now another similar thread on the same topic. Between the two threads, at least three flight crew members have posted the same thing. If someone asks in the US or certain other countries, there is a good chance they are going to be met by security when they get off the plane.

Not sure why this is such a hard concept for some people to grasp. I'm sure a crew is going to use some judgement on their part, but it's still not a good idea.

CCGPV

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
ual747den wrote:

No, it's not drama. There's now another similar thread on the same topic. Between the two threads, at least three flight crew members have posted the same thing. If someone asks in the US or certain other countries, there is a good chance they are going to be met by security when they get off the plane.

Not sure why this is such a hard concept for some people to grasp. I'm sure a crew is going to use some judgement on their part, but it's still not a good idea.

There's always white-knight busybodies in every industry looking to be the hero. Its unfortunate you take such a stance for no reason other than to "teach the public a lesson." smdh

IPFreely

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

CCGPV wrote:
There's always white-knight busybodies in every industry looking to be the hero. Its unfortunate you take such a stance for no reason other than to "teach the public a lesson." smdh

Pretending to “teach lessons” is what grumpy old men do. Just laugh and move on.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 am

IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Pretending to “teach lessons” is what grumpy old men do. Just laugh and move on.

One more time. I'm not old. I'm not grumpy. I've yet to see you post much of anything of any intelligence on any thread. This is all you can come up with? Not like you'd post anything of substance or intelligence.

Anyway, I'll respond to CCGPV. Not sure what exactly is your point.

I'm strictly stating it's not a good idea. Several crew members have posted the same. There are 2-3 people on this thread who keep insisting they know better and keep making a big drama out of my very simple recommendation that it's not smart to ask to visit the flight deck in flight in the US or some other countries. Read the responses from several pilots and flight attendants on this and several other threads.

However, you are partially correct. It's pointless to argue with those other 2-3 people. Like they always say, never argue with an idiot. I'll stick to more productive threads.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 am

IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

One more time. I'm not old. I'm not grumpy. I've yet to see you post much of anything of any intelligence on any thread. This is all you can come up with? Not like you'd post anything of substance or intelligence.

I'm strictly stating it's not a good idea. Several crew members have posted the same. There are 2-3 people on this thread who keep insisting they know better and keep making a big drama out of my very simple recommendation that it's not smart to ask to visit the flight deck in flight in the US or some other countries. Read the responses from several pilots and flight attendants on this and several other threads.

However, you are partially correct. It's pointless to argue with those other 2-3 people. Like they always say, never argue with an idiot. I'll stick to more productive threads.

CCGPV

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I'm just pointing out how wrong you are in saying that law enforcement will act upon someone asking to see the cockpit. You can call them all you want but as soon as they talk to them and find out its an innocent question they will walk away laughing. The only thing that accomplishes is making law enforcement waste their time on non-issues like people asking to see the cockpit. You are not doing a thing to protect the skies by trying to be a hero. Its rediculous.

You want to be a gatekeeper SO bad but it just comes across as try-hard. Everyone knows it.

Next time you pass through can you bring me a coffee, please?

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 am

CCGPV wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

I'm just pointing out how wrong you are in saying that law enforcement will act upon someone asking to see the cockpit. You can call them all you want but as soon as they talk to them and find out its an innocent question they will walk away laughing. The only thing that accomplishes is making law enforcement waste their time on non-issues like people asking to see the cockpit. You are not doing a thing to protect the skies by trying to be a hero. Its rediculous.

You want to be a gatekeeper SO bad but it just comes across as try-hard. Everyone knows it.

You are way off the mark. I'll take that beer you are going to bring me though.

Several of you are way over exaggerating and over-dramatizing my comments. What part of "it's not a good idea" now that I've said several times don't you understand?

However, I did say there is a risk that security could meet you at the gate. At least three airline employees have also stated that on this thread.

Now is that difficult? Thanks for getting me that IPA.

This has turned into a stupid thread all the way around. The moderators should lock it. It's a waste of all of our time.

CCGPV

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

You are way off the mark. I'll take that beer you are going to bring me though.

Several of you are way over exaggerating and over-dramatizing my comments. What part of "it's not a good idea" now that I've said several times don't you understand?

However, I did say there is a risk that security could meet you at the gate. At least three airline employees have also stated that on this thread.

Now is that difficult? Thanks for getting me that IPA.

This has turned into a stupid thread all the way around. The moderators should lock it. It's a waste of all of our time.

If I were a flight attendant I'd be happy to serve you whatever drink you wish as it's what I spend most of the time at work doing.

You claimed in multiple posts that asking to see the cockpit would result in being interrogated, arrested or kicked off the flight. That simply would not happen.

IPFreely

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:38 am

CCGPV wrote:
If I were a flight attendant I'd be happy to serve you whatever drink you wish as it's what I spend most of the time at work doing.

You claimed in multiple posts that asking to see the cockpit would result in being interrogated, arrested or kicked off the flight. That simply would not happen.

I think you are missing the phony but fun drama.

Your version is something like this...

Passenger; "Excuse me, I have never been in an airliner cockpit, would I be able to visit?"
FA: "I'm sorry, that is not allowed in flight but if you stay in your seat after arrival at the gate there might be time for a visit after the flight"
Passenger: "OK, thank you."

The grumpy old man version is sometihng like this...

Passenger: "Excuse me, I have never been in an airliner cockpit, would I be able to visit?"
FA: "CODE RED CODE RED ALL CREW MAN YOUR BATTLE STATIONS"
Pilot: "MAYDAY MAYDAY WE ARE DIVERTING DEFCON STATUS 3 SCRAMBLE INTERCEPTORS AND FBI TO COORDINATE GROUND INTERCEPT"
Passenger: "So I guess that's a no?"

While your version is of course accurate it is not nearly as dramatic and exciting as the grumpy old man version.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 am

IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Passenger; "Excuse me, I have never been in an airliner cockpit, would I be able to visit?"
FA: "I'm sorry, that is not allowed in flight but if you stay in your seat after arrival at the gate there might be time for a visit after the flight"

Passenger: "Excuse me, I have never been in an airliner cockpit, would I be able to visit?"
Pilot: "MAYDAY MAYDAY WE ARE DIVERTING DEFCON STATUS 3 SCRAMBLE INTERCEPTORS AND FBI TO COORDINATE GROUND INTERCEPT"

While your version is of course accurate it is not nearly as dramatic and exciting as the grumpy old man version.

Thanks for proving my point exactly. You've yet to post anything intelligent on any thread.

Anyway, I hope you get all your homework finished tonight for Jr. High School tomorrow.

CCGPV

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Thanks for proving my point exactly. You've yet to post anything intelligent on any thread.

Anyway, I hope you get all your homework finished tonight for Jr. High School tomorrow.

Man, you got me there. Good way to show maturity!

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 am

CCGPV wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Man, you got me there. Good way to show maturity!

I wasn’t replying to you. Your post was reasonable.

I was referring to the other poster. He has the bizarre need to continue to call me a bizarre name on several threads now, every time he doesn’t agree with an opinion. Yet, I haven’t seen any rationale or contribution to the topic.

Nicoeddf

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm

IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Very accurate description of what is happening on this thread.

But funny it is how the not-grumpy not-old man is diverting the attention to the point that everybody else is stupid and an, and I quote, idiot.

By the way BoeingGuy...you always quote 2-3 people on here who are crew and agree with you. That doesn't make your point any more valid. My 125.000+ thousand colleagues would disagree with you, including those in cabin and flight deck. They would much rather prefer the professional version.
But hey, perspective can be different I guess.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Very accurate description of what is happening on this thread.

But funny it is how the not-grumpy not-old man is diverting the attention to the point that everybody else is stupid and an, and I quote, idiot.

By the way BoeingGuy...you always quote 2-3 people on here who are crew and agree with you. That doesn't make your point any more valid. My 125.000+ thousand colleagues would disagree with you, including those in cabin and flight deck. They would much rather prefer the professional version.
But hey, perspective can be different I guess.

What I have a problem with is those 2-3 people putting laughing emojis and otherwise berating others who don’t agree with their opinion. I realize I got frustrated and did a little of the same myself, but it’s not appropriate.

I’m happy to have someone disagree with an opinion I state, respectfully and with rationale. I let myself get a bit angry with the rude responses of those 2-3 people and responded poorly.

IP’s constant name calling and insults that have now occurred on a few threads towards me are unacceptable and I expect it to stop.

TailDragging

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm

I've been a lurker her for at least ten years but only recently made an account. What I'm amazed by is the amount of maturity that doesn't exist in these threads. It's either name calling or A vs B threads. We are all here because we love aviation and aircraft. Why do we always need to fight?

@BoeingGuy, you're not going to be hauled off a plane for asking to see the flight deck while in flight as long as you are respectful and obey crew instructions. I fly several times a year in the United States on US airlines, mainly UA/WN; a mix of INTL and domestic. As a private pilot and an Aerospace Engineering student, I love planes and the chance of being able to visit a flight deck in flight would be amazing. Yes, I know that legally in the US it is not allowed. I've asked the head FA several times whether flying , F,J, or Y. Every single time they call the flight deck and the answer is always no. They usally will tell me to come back once we get into gate and I get to visit then. I've had wonderful conversations with pilots in the fight deck at the gate. Sat in the captains seat several times with the hat. Once I got to sit in a 787 for a good twenty mindsets at SFO with the crew. Not once over the years have law enforcement met me at the gate to haul me off.

To the person who us claiming to be crew and that an announcement is made that the flight deck is off limits before leaving the gate. Not once have I heard this made both in the US or overseas. All they say is no forming of a line at the front lavatory.

Now time to see how bad the attacking is on me. Lets all remember that this is all online and words on here to me wont hurt me since I don't know any of you.

ual747den

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm

TailDragging wrote:
@BoeingGuy, you're not going to be hauled off a plane for asking to see the flight deck while in flight as long as you are respectful and obey crew instructions. I fly several times a year in the United States on US airlines, mainly UA/WN; a mix of INTL and domestic. As a private pilot and an Aerospace Engineering student, I love planes and the chance of being able to visit a flight deck in flight would be amazing. Yes, I know that legally in the US it is not allowed. I've asked the head FA several times whether flying , F,J, or Y. Every single time they call the flight deck and the answer is always no. They usally will tell me to come back once we get into gate and I get to visit then. I've had wonderful conversations with pilots in the fight deck at the gate. Sat in the captains seat several times with the hat. Once I got to sit in a 787 for a good twenty mindsets at SFO with the crew. Not once over the years have law enforcement met me at the gate to haul me off.

There are several odd things about this post but I have to ask, if you are familiar with the industry and the rules and regulations in place why would you ask in the first place and why do you continue to ask every time you fly? I find your story hard to believe because you say that the FA calls the flight deck to ask the pilots however I cannot imagine that happening, I don't know why any FA would bother the pilots with that question.
Another disturbing part of your post is that you are going up to the flight deck after the flight and sitting in the Captains seat and wearing his hat, how old are you? It is appropriate to take kids up there to do that and take pictures but its rather weird for an adult to be doing that. Visiting the flight deck after the flight is fine, but don't ask the pilots to wear their hat!

ACDC8

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

Unless there is A) some other suspicious behaviour going on or B) the crew members see themselves as (to quote Captain Ramius) some sort of "Buckaroo", you will not be met by the Men In Black when you get off the plane to be "questioned".

ACDC8

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 am

ual747den wrote:
There are several odd things about this post but I have to ask, if you are familiar with the industry and the rules and regulations in place why would you ask in the first place and why do you continue to ask every time you fly?

People know that they can't take their bottle of water, cup of coffee, half litre bottle of shampoo past security - why do they continue to ask every time they go through security?

ACDC8

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

Nice. You just told an actual pilot that his response about action a pilot would take is a load of rubbish.

This is why I stopped posting on this tread for awhile.

What’s the old saying? Never argue with an......

I’m going to laugh when one of you jokers ask the wrong crew for an in-flight visit and get hauled off by the police sometime.

Yes I did call it rubbish - because thats what it is. Interestingly, how the poster in question went from this mysterious announcement (that no one else seems to have ever heard before) about not being allowed to ask to visit the flight deck being standard on "most or many US airlines" to just Jetblue.

BoeingGuy wrote:
What I have a problem with is those 2-3 people putting laughing emojis and otherwise berating others who don’t agree with their opinion.

Hmmm, berating as such as calling someone a "smart guy"?
BoeingGuy wrote:
Next time you are in the US ask for a jumpseat ride in flight, smart guy. See how far you get.

... or calling someone a "Joker" as you did in this thread? If you're gonna dish it, don't complain about it when you get it back :sarcastic:

Adispatcher

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:20 am

This thread is great.

In the US, not gonna happen. I think most people know this and understand this. Especially since 9/11. Ask before or after, and if there is time, I'm sure the crew would be happy to show you around.

I have seen some confused looks when doing my annual fam ride mid-flight on a international leg, though. To the passengers, I am just some guy who wandered up front, talked to the FA, hopped inside, then came back out later and returned to his seat like nothing happened.

September11

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:43 am

I was invited to the cockpit onboard near empty Eastern A-300 ATL-SEA inflight. I became confused there because the cockpit was dark and cabin was bright. It was a 2-minute invitation, given I was an unaccompanied minor traveling in first class.

B777LRF

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Nothing is impossible, you just have to venture outside Europe or the US:

http://youtu.be/yZorfOWCkOo

Or, if you're in e.g. Europe, ask the right people for a chance to ride the jumpseat:

Take-off
http://youtu.be/N9Q2x_Flii0
Landing
http://youtu.be/g9eCp61IFjo

CCGPV

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 am

Go to Belize or Costa Rica. You can sit in the right seat on Caravans all day long.

chimborazo

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 pm

In 2013 I was on a PIA 777 flight from LHR to LHE, the captain was stood in the business class cabin before the flight. I said hello and asked if I could come in the cockpit for takeoff- in reality knowing his was highly unlikely whatever their policy may ultimately have been. He said it's not possible then stared at me for a few seconds and said he'd get me during cruise. Yeah, right thinks I. Two hours or so into the flight, he wanders down the aisle, pointed at me and then beckoned with his finger. Next thing I'm sat in the jump seat having a cup of tea and a chat. It was amazing for a semi av-geek like me. I was there for about half an hour and what really astounded me was when the captain who had invited me (who was acting as FO - 2 captains that day) got up and went to the lav. So I'm sat on my own in the cockpit with the captain having a chin wag about the various controls with him occasionally holding up a hand as he's listening to ATC. I'm 1.9m and 120kg... not that that's entirely relevant but I replayed the whole situation in my head after and thought wow. The captain seemed genuinely pleased to have someone taking an interest in it all.
My all time favourite flight moment in hundreds and hundreds of flights.
I've since gone on to get my ppl and enjoy taking up folks who've maybe travelled commercial a lot but don't ever see the controls. Many have the same look on their face as I'm sure I did as sat on that jump seat.
I asked same on a flight last year and was respectfully denied. As it happens, the flight crew were checking in at the hotel at the same time as me. I thanked the FO for the very smooth landing, we had a chat, and I mentioned it was me who'd asked to go into the cockpit. He smiled, looked at the captain, and said now he'd met me he would have said yes.

Regarding the arguing above: I have no idea what their policy is as I've never looked into it. I asked: one time I was allowed, another time I was respectfully denied.

IPFreely

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 am

chimborazo wrote:
Regarding the arguing above: I have no idea what their policy is as I've never looked into it. I asked: one time I was allowed, another time I was respectfully denied.

Don't you mean that because you asked, the airplane diverted to the nearest airport and upon landing you were met by security and dragged away for interrogation? :D :D :D

longhauler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Don't you mean that because you asked, the airplane diverted to the nearest airport and upon landing you were met by security and dragged away for interrogation?

I had to chuckle, as a few weeks ago, a passenger on a SFO-YYZ flight I was working asked if he could visit the cockpit. The Flight Attendant he asked graciously told him why not and invited him to stop in when deplaning. 99.999% of the time, that is how it is handled. At no time did anyone think it was anything other than an aviation enthusiast asking to see something we know he would dearly enjoy.

Not everyone is as well informed as us. Most don't fly all that often, and who knows ... the last time he had the courage to ask may actually have been before rules changed.

What we did though, is make up a bag of "aviation stuff" to give him, that we have for passengers .... stickers, wings, post cards, NAVI magazine, etc.

When he did visit after landing, we uploaded our weather maps and route to his iPad. (We don't carry printed maps any more, as that was a common "gift" as well). Took his picture in the right seat, beaming. Sadly, that's all we can do these days.

irelayer

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

aa87 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
Yeah, there's an established procedure and it's really easy!
1) be a kid
2) ask before 2001

In the late 70s as a kid I used to pester flight attendants with questions about flying and their jobs. Once, and my first time, was brought up front on a National DC-10 mid-flight. What struck me first was looking out front and realizing it seemed we were suspended, no movement. I also thought the DC-10 power panel looked like a big cash register.

"

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Roger Murdock: I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

Joey: You are Kareem! I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.

Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now, Joey. Right, Clarence?

Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone. Let him stay here.

Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is...

[showing his nametag]

Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.

[Kareem gets angry]

Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes! "

LOL

ACDC8

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:17 am

longhauler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Don't you mean that because you asked, the airplane diverted to the nearest airport and upon landing you were met by security and dragged away for interrogation?

I had to chuckle, as a few weeks ago, a passenger on a SFO-YYZ flight I was working asked if he could visit the cockpit. The Flight Attendant he asked graciously told him why not and invited him to stop in when deplaning. 99.999% of the time, that is how it is handled. At no time did anyone think it was anything other than an aviation enthusiast asking to see something we know he would dearly enjoy.

Not everyone is as well informed as us. Most don't fly all that often, and who knows ... the last time he had the courage to ask may actually have been before rules changed.

What we did though, is make up a bag of "aviation stuff" to give him, that we have for passengers .... stickers, wings, post cards, NAVI magazine, etc.

When he did visit after landing, we uploaded our weather maps and route to his iPad. (We don't carry printed maps any more, as that was a common "gift" as well). Took his picture in the right seat, beaming. Sadly, that's all we can do these days.

Thank you for an intelligent and professional response :bigthumbsup:

aeromoe

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:40 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
Damn! I was born in the wrong generation. Curse being born after 2001... removes most of the fun of flying.

Yes, there was much fun to be had "back in the day." Been in the cockpit while inflight of: British Midland Viscount inbound to Heathrow, Royal Air Force VC-10 crossing the Atlantic, BA Concorde, Lufthansa A340-200 crossing the Atlantic, Reeve Aleutian L188 Electra up in Alaska, as well as some others. During the 80s and 90s mind you...yes...it is my "back in the day" and yes, it was definitely a different time for airlines and airline enthusiasts.

British Midland Viscount on final to Heathrow in 1985:

Concorde G-BOAE during Concorde Fan Club flight in 1985:

Royal Air Force VC-10 over the North Atlantic in 1987:

Reeve Aleutian Electra over Alaska in 1999:

Aeromoe

studentdrbev
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 am

aeromoe wrote:
PanzerPowner wrote:
Damn! I was born in the wrong generation. Curse being born after 2001... removes most of the fun of flying.

Yes, there was much fun to be had "back in the day." Been in the cockpit while inflight of: British Midland Viscount inbound to Heathrow, Royal Air Force VC-10 crossing the Atlantic, BA Concorde, Lufthansa A340-200 crossing the Atlantic, Reeve Aleutian L188 Electra up in Alaska, as well as some others. During the 80s and 90s mind you...yes...it is my "back in the day" and yes, it was definitely a different time for airlines and airline enthusiasts.

Concorde G-BOAE during Concorde Fan Club flight in 1985:

Royal Air Force VC-10 over the North Atlantic in 1987:

Aeromoe

The pictures are just mesmerizing. Thank you for sharing :praise: