Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACDC8
Topic Author

Use of Electronic Device/Headphones Policy Question

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Is there a credible reason why there is such a varying policy on the use of electronics/headphones on board aircraft other than company policy?

As an example, in Canada ...

Airline A) Allows you to use small handheld devices and put on headphones/earbuds during all phases of the flight including taxi, takeoff and landing.
Airline B) Allows you to use small handheld devices put will not allow the use of headphones/earbuds during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Airline C) Does not allow you to use any electronic device or headphones/earbuds during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Airline D) Requires you to completely power down (not just airplane mode) all electronic devices and remove all headphones/earbuds during taxi, takeoff and landing.

So, whats the deal? Why are there such varying polices from one airline to the next? Does Transport Canada have various levels of electronic use and given to airlines if they meet certain criteria or is it simply someone in management or safety department saying this is the policy?

Kiwirob

Re: Use of Electronic Device/Headphones Policy Question

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Happily my primary airline SAS allows use of handheld devices from gate to gate.

PerVG

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Perhaps it's a safety thing? So that passengers will be readily aware of any crew indications in an emergency situation?
Some airlines might think it makes a difference, and others not so much.
Just guessing, here... ;)

jumpjets

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

I have always assumed the headphones/earbuds rules are to do with safety. If you are plugged into the airlines own IFE then the announcements override the entertainment and you hear the message - if you are using personal electronic devices the messages won't get through your headphones and you may not realise you are about to crash :-)

Why that should only apply at takeoff and landing and not inflight too I am not sure - maybe its because those phases of the flight are particularly critical.

conaly

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 am

I have been using headphones with a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo Switch (handheld console) on many airlines during boarding, taxi, take off and landing. The only time anybody complained was once on Turkish Airlines, when they didn't allow me to have my headphones on during taxi and take off. On Lufthansa, they just told me not to use headphones on take off and landing while I was sitting next to an emergency exit, but otherwise they didn't care at all.

I noticed, that even on one airline there can be different regulations depending on the airplane in use. In 2016 I was on Lufthansa GOT-FRA-NUE. GOT-FRA was operated with A319, FRA-NUE with B733. On A319 they allowed to use any electronic device any time in flight mode, on B733 however they told us to switch off all electronic devices before take off and landing, while they can be turned on in cruise, if they have been set to flight mode BEFORE they have been switched off.

stlgph

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:27 pm

As of late, I've been finding that headphones are a no no during taxi/take off and that earbuds are allowed.

ACDC8
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks to all those who've replied, especially those who shared their policy experiences on various carriers.

I get the safety aspect of it, but my question was more if this simply comes down to airline specific policies or if there is something more in regards to rules in regulations from carrier to carrier certification requirements that may let one carrier allow this and the other not.