Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Etihad halves baggage allowances for discount tickets booked in UK

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Link/Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 87426.html

"Etihad Airways, one of the biggest Gulf airlines, has abruptly cut baggage allowances for many of its passengers."
"Travellers booking discount tickets to key destinations in Africa including Johannesburg, Lagos and Nairobi will find the previous allowance of 46kg cases has halved overnight to 23kg."
"On a return flight from Heathrow or Manchester to any African destination, a second 23kg bag will cost $1,280 (£904), plus a further 25 per cent if paid at at the airport."

"Bizarrely, for journeys beginning in Africa, the allowance has barely changed, with 40kg allowed for all economy passengers."
"UK economy travellers to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh who were previously entitled to 46kg have seen their allowance fall by over one-third, to 30kg — unless they book a “flex” ticket, in which case the limit is 35kg. "

Will Qatar, Turkish or Emirates follow suit.
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

nordikcam

Re: Etihad halves baggage allowences for "thousands" of UK passengers

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm

From LHR or MAN it's easy to take SN via BRU...you do not have this problem !

gokmengs

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm

There must be a typo on the fee as it seems absurdly high

BREECH

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

Bizarrely!? They book discount tickets to the economy, and are outraged that their allowance is now just like every other airline? I've never seen a 46kg baggage allowance in economy ANYwhere. 20kg is the industry standard. I'd say the previous 46kg allowance was BIZARRELY high.

LGAviation

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

BREECH wrote:
Bizarrely!? They book discount tickets to the economy, and are outraged that their allowance is now just like every other airline? I've never seen a 46kg baggage allowance in economy ANYwhere. 20kg is the industry standard. I'd say the previous 46kg allowance was BIZARRELY high.

First of all, 23 kgs and not 20 kgs are the industry standard. Secondly, in Asia/Africa and especially Brazil higher limits are the norm and if I'm not mistaken there still is the rule mandating 2*32 kgs on Brazil flights in economy. The second bag fee though outrageous and a couple of years ago a similar fee charged by Emirates made me book Etihad for a long-term stay down under.

BREECH

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 pm

LGAviation wrote:
Secondly, in Asia/Africa and especially Brazil higher limits are the norm and if I'm not mistaken there still is the rule mandating 2*32 kgs on Brazil flights in economy.

64kg per passenger in economy? You are having a laugh! On the Paris-to-Rio flight, for example, that would require carrying 13 tons of economy luggage alone. I'm sorry, but I have to kindly ask you to provide some sort of proof of this rule's existance. Because Air France baggage calculator for economy is 1 item of 23kg. 2x32 is for business class. And as far as I know that's how it is on all airlines.

LGAviation

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm

BREECH wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
Secondly, in Asia/Africa and especially Brazil higher limits are the norm and if I'm not mistaken there still is the rule mandating 2*32 kgs on Brazil flights in economy.

64kg per passenger in economy? You are having a laugh! On the Paris-to-Rio flight, for example, that would require carrying 13 tons of economy luggage alone. I'm sorry, but I have to kindly ask you to provide some sort of proof of this rule's existance. Because Air France baggage calculator for economy is 1 item of 23kg. 2x32 is for business class. And as far as I know that's how it is on all airlines.

You're right, Air France now has changed the policy

"Tickets issued from 27 September 2017 in Economy or Premium Economy cabins: For roundtrip flights in which the first flight departs from Brazil, you can transport 2 checked baggage items of up to 23 kg / 50 lb each (158 cm / 62 in) at no extra charge*.
* For tickets issued until 26 September 2017, you can transport 2 checked baggage items of up to 32 kg / 70 lb each at no extra charge."

https://www.airfrance.com.br/BR/en/comm ... france.htm

Lufthansa, American and many others though still maintain it
https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf ... 406536.pdf
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/bag ... policy.jsp

I believe I once found the actual rule by the Brazilian watchdog that stipulated that international economy passengers are entitled to that amount but that would require some time for me to look back up

USAOZ

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:33 pm

LGAviation wrote:
BREECH wrote:

First of all, 23 kgs and not 20 kgs are the industry standard. Secondly, in Asia/Africa and especially Brazil higher limits are the norm and if I'm not mistaken there still is the rule mandating 2*32 kgs on Brazil flights in economy. The second bag fee though outrageous and a couple of years ago a similar fee charged by Emirates made me book Etihad for a long-term stay down under.
no industry standard at all but many airlines are reducing theur allowances to compete with lccs.

Many airlines australia to usa allow 46kg. Ha allow 64kg. This is all going to reduce to 23 or 20kg or less. 23kgs is still a lot. Many people have learnt to check less & save money which means airlines can carry more freight. It's the future. .

You don't need 10 of everything to go on holidays for week or 2. Many just keep packing until they get to their limit whatever it is. Billions of litres of fuel wasted every day

BREECH

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 pm

LGAviation wrote:
https://www.airfrance.com.br/BR/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/bagages-soute-airfrance.htm

Lufthansa, American and many others though still maintain it
https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf ... 406536.pdf
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/bag ... policy.jsp

I believe I once found the actual rule by the Brazilian watchdog that stipulated that international economy passengers are entitled to that amount but that would require some time for me to look back up

All those links, including AA, say it's 1x23, everything else is either a different class or extra charge. LH link didn't open.

BREECH

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 pm

USAOZ wrote:
Many airlines australia to usa allow 46kg. Ha allow 64kg. This is all going to reduce to 23 or 20kg or less. 23kgs is still a lot. Many people have learnt to check less & save money which means airlines can carry more freight. It's the future. .

You don't need 10 of everything to go on holidays for week or 2. Many just keep packing until they get to their limit whatever it is. Billions of litres of fuel wasted every day

Agreed!!!

A rhetoric question. WHAT can you possible put in your bags that you need SIXTY FOUR KILOGRAMS of luggage allowance? Every time I see an American in an airport I ask myself this question. WHAT is inside those two human-trafficking-sized bags you're struggling to push along the concourse!? I find even 23kg difficult to fill. Sometimes if a country is too interesting I might have more on the way BACK in souvenirs or interesting clothes, but then again, it's 23kg per person, so you still have wiggle room.

debonair

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:21 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
"Travellers booking discount tickets to key destinations in Africa including Johannesburg, Lagos and Nairobi will find the previous allowance of 46kg cases has halved overnight to 23kg."

I think the topic and title is misleading! All bookings done before January 31st are honoured, only new bookings are affected! So, it is the customers decision to fly with ETIHAD or not! So who says "thousands" will be affected if they choose not to buy?!

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 am

BREECH wrote:
USAOZ wrote:

Agreed!!!

A rhetoric question. WHAT can you possible put in your bags that you need SIXTY FOUR KILOGRAMS of luggage allowance? Every time I see an American in an airport I ask myself this question. WHAT is inside those two human-trafficking-sized bags you're struggling to push along the concourse!? I find even 23kg difficult to fill. Sometimes if a country is too interesting I might have more on the way BACK in souvenirs or interesting clothes, but then again, it's 23kg per person, so you still have wiggle room.

Sigh...the "holier than thou" attitude. And it's actually not that hard to fill 2x 23kg for typical VFR traffic.

Of course, it's even easier once you start packing balikbayan boxes :stirthepot: :stirthepot: