Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evanbu
Topic Author

Non-Revenue on Concorde?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what was it like, if it all possible, to fly non-revenue on Concorde? Were the flights full? Was there a different dress code, etc.?

PM

Re: Non-Revenue on Concorde?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:33 pm

It wasn't non-rev but my wife (then an employee with Swissair) and I flew LHR-JFK for 1/10th of the lowest price in 1997. It was an offer to any airline (as far as I know). Don't know if it was a standing thing or a one-off.

No special dress code. In those days we had to dress up for any ID90 flight. The flight was pretty full. We were in the last row.

I still have all the giveaways somewhere...

B777LRF

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:35 pm

I once bought an ID90 LHR-JFK-LHR, where one leg was in C on a 747 and the other on Concorde. Dress code was the same; nice trousers, jacket, tie and shoes. Was lucky to fly on G-BOAC, and had the distinct pleasure of arriving in JFK sooner (local time) than we had departed LHR (local time).

These tickets wasn't always available, rather they were offered for sale in 'low' periods on selected flights. I've been told that the service to Barbados was never available to ID pax, and that IAD only rarely was available. This was on BA, far as I know AF never offered ID tickets on their SSC services.

Cunard

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Although non rev here's a little story from years ago.

Cunard were famous for chartering Concorde especially to connect passengers to the Queen Elizabeth 2 during her world cruises in the 1980/90's and it would more often than not make a flyover of the ship before landing such as in Hong Kong and Sydney.

In 1986 there was a crew change in Hong Kong when a British Airways Boeing 747 was chartered by Cunard to transport the crew to Hong Kong and those going on leave returning back to LHR on the same aircraft.

On the outbound B747 two crew members and they were waiters missed the chartered crew flight and were therefore put on the specially chartered Concorde to take them to Hong Kong as there was two spare seats.

When those two waiters joined the ship they were like heroes everyone knew the story but if that situation happened now they would have just been dismissed, they were two very lucky individuals and needless to say I was very envious :-)

PI4EVER

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 pm

I too took advantage of the ID90 and flew JFK-LHR on Concorde and came home on a 747 LHR-IAD.
I flew on G-BOAF and have a champagne glass I was given by a F/A with a complimentary bottle of the bubbly she gave us prior to landing.
The "normal" dress code for most non-revs included coat and tie so customary to be dressed that way to go anywhere.
DL was the best airline to upgrade non-revs to F class, but strict adherence to their coat and tie standard to be boarded period.
Once seated, you could remove your coat and loosen your tie, but you'd never get past the ticket counter if not dressed to policy.
Flight crews would not be seated in F class if wearing their uniforms. Crew and non-revs were not to engage in "idle talk" or "airline stuff" with revenue passengers and rarely were seated with revenue passengers when traveling alone.
The service on BA on both aircraft were beyond any experience up to that point flying domestic First Class. I remember the cart or "trolley" BA rolled down the aisle for the cocktail service, and the coffee/tea dessert cart. Over the top classy in every aspect of service and presentation!

APYu

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm

BA Staff could also book Hotline tickets for themselves and friends and family. These are discounted confirmed tickets - and you could get LHR - JFK one way supersonic and the other way subsonic for about £800 as a Hotline ticket at quiet times of the year. I was only a student at the time so didn't have that kind of money, I so wish I had found a way to find it.

PaulYUL

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:58 pm

My underestanding is that it was possible to fly non rev on BA but not on AF. One of my friend who was an AF Captain and had to fly BA to experience Concorde.

Arion640

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm

It may of changed now but ID travel on BA is just basically smart dress attire, no shorts, football tops etc. Your not supposed to let anyone know you're on ID and the crew isn't etheir.

citationjet

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:03 pm

My father non-revved on Concorde for free. They had a ferry flight from JFK to ICT to pick up passengers for a charter flight to Europe the next day. My father worked for America West, who worked the ground crew for Concorde in Wichita, KS (ICT). He rode Concorde with about 10 other non-revs on board from JFK to Wichita subsonic, and he was able to spend about 20 minutes in the cockpit during the subsonic flight. When he arrived in Wichita, he had me and my two sons tour the plane while it sat empty at the gate. We had complete access to the planes interior and exterior for about an hour. Great memories.

longhauler

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Most of the flights I have flown on Concorde have been on some sort of employee discount.

My first flight, SIN-BAH-LHR was actually on an ID80, as my Dad flew for Air Canada. I was supposed to fly on a VC-10 SIN-LHR, with many stops between, but the agent in SIN liked me, (I was wearing a school blazer and tie) and let me on.

And when I flew for CP, because of our association with BA, they gave an employee discount rate of USD800 for JFK-LHR or LHR-JFK. It was confirmed, but only 7 days in advance. (Not normally a problem on Concorde with its last minute clientele). I flew it JFK-LHR and returned to YYZ on AC.

When I flew on Braniff, IAD-DFW-IAD, it was on an ID50.

My other flights were always full fare. YYZ-LHR and return in J on BA for about CAD1500. (It was a special deal, as the aircraft was in town for the CNE airshow).

And on AF CDG-JFK, but the normal fare was about half of what BA was charging LHR-JFK.