Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kno
Topic Author

Cathy pacific or Qatar for my trip?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 am

Hey guys,

Next week I am taking a last minute 2 week vacation where I plan to visit Hong Kong, bangkok, and a 3rd undecided destination (either Bali, Phuket, or Hanoi).

I have two airline options I am having trouble deciding between and I'd love some 2nd opinions. I live in BOS but plan to leave from NYC. I'm choosing between flying Cathay or Qatar - the interaries are:

Qatar
77W jfk-doh
A380 doh-bkk

A346 bkk-doh
A359 doh-bos

And take a side trip to Hong Kong for a few days during the trip, taking advantage of the Thai 744 between bkk-hkg

Cathay
A359 ewr-hkg

Hang out for a few days and catch a Thai 744 to bkk

Cathay
A359 bkk-hkg
77W hkg-jfk

On Qatar im thinking it would be so awesome to fly on so many new (to me) and rare types of planes - especially the a346

On Cathay I really love the convenience of the outbound flight and I've always wanted to try this airline - the a359 and 77W are also both new types and I could fly them on both airlines.

Those who have flown both airlines what would you prefer? I know I've given limited details about the flights outside of plane types and connecting airports but from a plane centric and airline centric experience what would be most avgeek heavenly and comfortable? What about connecting in hkg vs doh? Both flights will be in economy FYI.

This trip is a big deal and a rare experience for me. I'm usually on narrowbodies in the 50 states on the us3 so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance!

aerorobnz

Re: Cathy pacific or Qatar for my trip?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 am

Qatar for the aircraft variations alone. The A346 is getting harder to obtain too (if you haven't flown one)

directorguy

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 am

I think you should go for QR. More variety. Try see if you can do a long layover in DOH, either spend a night there or take a city tour. See something you've never seen before (though SE Asia will be the highlight obv).

AirbusA343

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am

Go for QR, simply because of the variation.

debonair

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 am

Hi, for sure take the rare A346 on QATAR and stay some days for free in Qatar: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html

On HKG to BKK you can also fly 5th freedom airlines like Royal Jordanian or Emirates - or THAI! But you can try, to catch up a domestic THAI B747 ride on BKK-HKT. Giving you more exotic airlines AND the B747!

Kno
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! Cathay is turns out to be more convenient for my plans but I'm having a hard time giving up the variety of aircraft QR has to offer - I'm wishing I could find a way to book Cathay there and take Qatar back.

aviationaware

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Take CX - QR is owned by a state sponsor of terrorism, so every dollar spent for a ticket with QR indirectly finances terror organizations like Hamas.

Fiend

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 am

I've booked a trip to BKK in May/June and have the A346 DOH-BKK and BKK-DOH....