Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eielef
Topic Author

Lost hand luggage as transit in IST

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 am

My dad was connecting in IST (EZE-IST-AMM) and he was called for a second security check, some two weeks ago. While doing so, removing his shoes and so on, someone (in the crazy transit lounge at midnight), took his handback with documents, his phone, and few more things, nothing really valuable, no money or passports, and those things, but things like a driver's license which are a nightmare to get back. He filled a complain but no answers were given. He went back to IST Airport to check it (he flew back also TK, route TLV-IST), no answer.... What do you do? The bag he picked had some clothes, which were not his, and he gave it to those from security, but his bag was taken by someone else, someone who, so far, hasn't had the will to return it back to IST airport... Who to blame?

Isn't the security point of an airport the most secure place, maybe, in the whole country? And a theft was there, with billions of cams of surveillance, and they couldn't nor wouldn't catch the person who stole it. We thought it might have been a confusion, but not returning property which is not yours, after two weeks, means its a theft. There should be something learned from this experience: security controls should be done in some other way, never allowing a passenger to leave his bags in the bell, while he is on security controls.

In my experience, as I only travel with hand luggage, I've learned how never to be stopped, which shoes, which belt and so on. All my belongings (phone, coins, passport, boarding pass) are in my jacket pocket, which goes in a bin with my approved hand bag, while my laptop goes in a different one. In 3 seconds i'm done with it. But for most of the people, specially those who don't often fly, or who are not used to be in transit, or who have too much luggage (i'd say 70% of the people transiting IST), it can turn out as a nightmare as in this case.

So, take more time for security controls, and add more personnel and more scanners or whatsoever so it goes smooth, but it is secure, not only for the airport and the passengers, but for the person who is being checked.

tlvflyguy

Re: Lost hand luggage as transit in IST

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 am

I'm sorry for your father's experience.
Things like this have always happened and will continue to happen. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world, be it employees or other travelers at airports.
Honestly this isn't really IST specific or even aviation specific.
Being on the move is difficult and one must be constantly aware of their belongings because, well, bad people exist.

Regarding your cry for more personnel, more scanners, etc. - I think civil aviation has grown so much faster than the infrastructure expected it to.
30-60 minute wait at international transfers are a common occurrence, and governments are constantly playing catch-up.
It is a shame, and certainly makes the whole process more stressful and exhausting than it could be, but I don't see a change on the horizon.
Specifically, IGA may provide a big upgrade over IST really soon, but it too is coming at a point where IST is really far beyond its intended capacity.

Same applies, probably, for the lack of proper handling by the local authorities. They probably have too many cases to handle, not enough resources, and with a low chance of recovery to start with. It is a shame.

eielef
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 am

Yes, I agree with you. But there should be some rule, some order and safety for those in transit. Say an extra screening while leaving security control, or just erase those transit security controls, and trust those that have been done in Argentina, e.g., that comply with all the regulations of the FAA...

HHScot

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:30 am

We had a colleague who had a very expensive watch stolen at the security point at one of the major Middle East hubs. They noticed right away, and with help of the police and the security video were able to get the watch back within minutes. Apparently it's a very common thing with police being called in several times per week. Just because it's in an airport at the security area doesn't mean that criminals take the time off!

9MMPQ

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 am

Sorry to hear but this happens more then you would care to know. Conditions at check points are optimal when you think about it & opportunity sometimes makes the criminal. The main focus is on the the next passenger coming up to the metal detector or body scanner and any hand luggage about to go into the scanner. Everything before that is a jumble of people taking off belts, shoes and emptying their pockets while you'll maybe have 1 or 2 security agents repeating the routine to people over & over and send people from the queues to the next scanner.

On the other side someone just in front of you may require an extra pat down holding up the line while your bag & other belongings may have already passed their scan and are lying in wait on the other side. There might be an agent there but usually they are just concerned with collecting the emtpy bins and moving the full ones to keep the line moving. Another one of those moments were you may not have a clear line of sight to your belongings or are distracted by the security agent telling you to step up.

It's exactly why i keep a close eye on my belongings and will mostly only put them on the belt for scanning when the person in front of me has cleared the scanner and doesn't require a pat down. That way we'll both go through screening at the same time.

I doubt more staff could help to avoid this, a simple moment is all it takes to slip a watch or wallet in a pocket or from 1 bin to the other.

eielef
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Sure, you can keep an eye on your belongings, but having a 2 hour connection, in one of the worse airports in Europe (IST), after a 17h long flight from EZE, you really don't care so much. You are not so alert as before. Maybe, you don't even know there is this security control. And at some point, the police officer, believing you could have an explosive in your shoes, breaks the whole circuit of security, when you leave your luggage unattended. I mean, take me to the control, but stop the fucking xray machine while i'm there. And make the queue delay as much as you need, in order to have peace, security and specially order.

Sometime ago, I read on the news that a guy who had committed a very large heist in the US, took refuge in a police station. He went to ask if he could visit a friend who was there in custody. He had a long conversation, and spent a couple of hours there. In that time, the police thought he had already left the city or even the state. But he had been in their police station the whole time, with his car packed with stolen goods... It was the last place where the police would ever search.
So, for a criminal, stealing in front of the police, when the police is focused on something else, seems a very easy job. Specially knowing that 99% of hand luggage is very expensive staff, like phones, cameras, computers, cash, cards, etc.

SCQ83

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 am

tlvflyguy wrote:
I'm sorry for your father's experience.
Things like this have always happened and will continue to happen. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world, be it employees or other travelers at airports.
Honestly this isn't really IST specific or even aviation specific.
Being on the move is difficult and one must be constantly aware of their belongings because, well, bad people exist..

Not IST or aviation specific; let's say this is 3rd-world specific.

I doubt this happens on MUC or ZRH on a regular basis.

eielef
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:33 am

I just got an answer from TAV, Istanbul Airport Operator.
Please note that TAV Lost & Found Office takes record of the lost properties only if they are delivered to the office by the people who have found them anywhere within the terminal building Therefore we are not responsible for the properties that have not been conveyed to us. Since your properties have not been delivered to TAV Lost & Found Office and if you are convinced that they are stolen, we kindly request you to contact Police Department at Ataturk Airport.

That's a winning one. Why don't they do it? Why didn't they do it some 2 weeks ago, when the things were stolen, when the person who stole them was still there, when there were cameras and so on... My dad said, since day 1: it has been stolen. Sure, he had to rush to his connecting flight. If TK would have offered him assistance, like don't worry for the flight, we'll put you in the following one, go to the police station and do what needs to be done. TK did nothing. TAV doesn't feel responsable. The Police has lost the opportunity (because of the time gone) of catching the person responsable, getting back the stolen items, and having a happy ending for all.