Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymco753
Topic Author

AS v. DL, who is really the best?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 pm

It's an ongoing argument, but I want to know who is truly better when it comes down to AS and DL. DL has been trying to say they're now 1st over AS, but is that necessarily true? I'm on the side of AS being the better airline, simply because when it comes down to customer service it exceeds DL, when it comes to airport experience it exceeds DL, when it comes to the ease of traveling AS is easier. My last AS flight I was on, the treatment was beyond DL's level of treatment. Is this a biased opinion? Discuss.

Lpbri

Re: AS v. DL, who is really the best?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Who is best a what? What yardstick do you use? Everything you cited was all opinion.I've flown both and I can't cite any differences between them or any other US major.

flymco753
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:33 pm

That's the point, I don't know enough about statistical reasons as to why DL is better than AS and so fourth. I physically don't know who is better, so someone enlighten me on what makes one better than the other.

jplatts

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I have never flown on AS, but I have flown on VX between DFW and LAX back in 2012 prior to the AS-VX merger and I have flown on DL between DFW and SEA in 2003 back when DL still had a hub at DFW. I have had good experiences on both VX (prior to its merger with AS) and DL. I have also been on DL flights from LGA to DFW through ATL back in May 2016 and I have been on a DL flight between CVG and DFW back in June 2017, and I have had good experiences with DL on those flights back home.

stlgph

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I always get 2 biscoffs on Delta, and rarely do I have to ask.

Newbiepilot

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

AS has a better frequent flyer program and better regional network in the pacific northwest and alaska. They also have a stronger west coast to hawaii network from smaller cities.

Delta has a long haul international network and covers the entire country.

Beyond the finite comparisons, the rest is opinion. They are pretty similar on competing routes.

Bald1983

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm

flymco753 wrote:
It's an ongoing argument, but I want to know who is truly better when it comes down to AS and DL. DL has been trying to say they're now 1st over AS, but is that necessarily true? I'm on the side of AS being the better airline, simply because when it comes down to customer service it exceeds DL, when it comes to airport experience it exceeds DL, when it comes to the ease of traveling AS is easier. My last AS flight I was on, the treatment was beyond DL's level of treatment. Is this a biased opinion? Discuss.

In the end, for the most part, at least in the back of the plane, a seat is a seat, is a seat. They tend to be the same size and service tends to be correct but not what people envision of the so called "glory" days. I believe one advantage that Delta has over Alaska, at least in Seattle is the ability to fly international. I wonder if Alaska should consider, using 787's, start making an international presence out of Seattle. They could fee the traffic to Seattle. Of course, there may be a reason why I am not an airline CEO.

ILS28ORD

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

This is only relevant to domestic flights. And they're 2 different types of airlines. Are they comparable? Maybe only if you live in SEA.

WWads

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

In the end, for the most part, at least in the back of the plane, a seat is a seat, is a seat. They tend to be the same size and service tends to be correct but not what people envision of the so called "glory" days. I believe one advantage that Delta has over Alaska, at least in Seattle is the ability to fly international. I wonder if Alaska should consider, using 787's, start making an international presence out of Seattle. They could fee the traffic to Seattle. Of course, there may be a reason why I am not an airline CEO.

AS has chosen to rely on codeshares for international flights. They've lost all of their Skyteam partners thanks to DL though, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for certain routes. I don't think that a lack of intercontinental flights is their problem though. I think that DL is just so large and is better able to absorb losses that they will eventually grind AS down. This seems like a battle of attrition, and AS isn't going to win that sort of battle.

Some have said that AS should try to open a hub or focus city somewhere in the Eastern part of the US. I think that's a mistake. They should dig in where they have a brand presence, and not overextend. Certainly compete on O/D routes where it makes sense, but if they try to open a hub at any major East Coast city, it'll be like DL's (failed) hub at DFW. They don't need to be a national carrier.

Aptivaboy

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm not sure that this question is really answerable in its present form. You'd need to provide more metrics. Its like asking me which I prefer to the islands, United, Delta or Hawaiian? It would come down to airport amenities, seat comfort, meals, IFE, price, etc., plus many other opinion related variables. Respectfully, if you could list your metrics you may get a better response.

Flighty

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Not to be a rules wuss but there is an Aviation Polls & Preferences forum for questions just like this.

Yflyer

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Flighty wrote:
Not to be a rules wuss but there is an Aviation Polls & Preferences forum for questions just like this.

:confused: This thread already is in the Polls & Preferences forum.

Edit: Ok, I see. It apparently just recently got moved here.

jeffh747

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:26 pm

DL is doing much more than AS to improve the passenger experience- cabin retrofits, lounge updates, and innovation (like the bioscanning to board). Just flew on one of their A321s in Economy and it was amazing- lots of legroom, moodlighting, and most importantly, personal TVs. If you’re flying across the country and don’t feel using streaming entertainment- which I personally have had nothing but negative experiences with- then DL is the way to go. They just retrofitted all of the ex-NWA A319/A320 aircraft with the same interior as their A321 and it’s gorgeous. AS is doing the opposite with the VX Airbuses- removing the TVs and other elements that DL is adding. DL also seems more fair to me with their prices. Whenever I need to go to SEA, I’ve found that DL offers better fares than AS from South Florida to SEA, although I can’t confidently say if that’s the same from other markets.

If AS had not been killing off VX, I likely would’ve said otherwise, as the AS product, in my opinion, is vastly behind VX and DL in terms of onboard experience and lounges. The only thing I like about AS is their FF program, and their always friendly crews. Mileage Plan is more rewarding to me than SkyMiles, and I’ve yet to have a single negative experience when it comes to crewmember interactions.

TL;DR DL offers superior hard products, and better prices, AS offers better FF program, and a more welcoming soft product.

Bald1983

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 pm

WWads wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

AS has chosen to rely on codeshares for international flights. They've lost all of their Skyteam partners thanks to DL though, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for certain routes. I don't think that a lack of intercontinental flights is their problem though. I think that DL is just so large and is better able to absorb losses that they will eventually grind AS down. This seems like a battle of attrition, and AS isn't going to win that sort of battle.

Some have said that AS should try to open a hub or focus city somewhere in the Eastern part of the US. I think that's a mistake. They should dig in where they have a brand presence, and not overextend. Certainly compete on O/D routes where it makes sense, but if they try to open a hub at any major East Coast city, it'll be like DL's (failed) hub at DFW. They don't need to be a national carrier.

I believe that they have enough brand loyalty that the could make a go out of international flying such as in Seattle.

WWads

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
WWads wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

I believe that they have enough brand loyalty that the could make a go out of international flying such as in Seattle.

Sadly the 787 backlog is such that AS would have to wait 4-5 years to start service. Unless they wanted to use 767s. They have the legs for pretty much every European destination, and many Pacific destinations from SEA.

smallvoyageur

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 pm

This is interesting, the problem with AS going international is that currently, they codeshare with AA for going international. They could try and codeshare with DY with their SEA and OAK service as they are the nearest in comparison to what AS is, a high-class LCC.

77H

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 am

Bald1983 wrote:
WWads wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

While I don't doubt that AS is a great airline (haven't yet had the chance to fly them) and I don't doubt they have a strong following in the PNW/WC I have to imagine they have almost non-existent brand recognition outside of the US. DL, even with its global recognition has had a difficult time turning SEA into a thriving Pacific Gateway. It is difficult to argue that AS would fair any better.

77H

TUSDawg23

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm

There are a ton of metrics you could put together to rank which carrier is better.

Network=I would pick DL over AS in terms of a much larger network, but AS has DL beat in some niche areas like Alaska and Western Canada. They also fly to Hawaii from some second-tier cities like SAN and OAK which DL does not do.

In-Flight Experience=They are extremely similar. wifi-connectivity, very similar seat pitch, ability to purchase meals, USB or AC power options. DL has entertainment screens on many of its mainline domestic fleet while AS rents out the digeplayers so DL gets a slight edge in this area.

Customer Service=I would say AS is slightly better here, but not by much

DL is the 800 pound gorilla, while AS is a much smaller gorilla. For most folks, it comes down to price and the experience is comparable on both. For FF's, I would agree that AS has the better and more flexible FF program, but DL can attract a wider FF base because their network is so vast, they have numerous JV's, and they can get you a lot of places throughout North America and the world with non-stop or one-stop service.

Super80Fan

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm

All of these AS posts lately are sure making me a Delta fanboy. The two really aren't comparable, even know many AS fanboys/employees on here make it sound like they're the world's largest and greatest airline.

AS is a small little regional carrier that really isn't an option unless you're based out of Alaska, SEA, or PDX. It will be interested to see what happens with the VX merger being finalized. My only experience flying them was with Horizon, on a very short flight. All the employees I interacted with were friendly but it was way too short to get a grasp on their amenities and service recovery.

Delta on the other hand is a global airline that flies to many, many places in the US and usually gets me to where I need to go on-time and cheaply. Most of their employees are friendly and amenities are usually good.