Jshank83
Topic Author

ATH to AMS airline question

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 am

I haven't done any flying in Europe before (Only from the USA to Europe and back) so I have a question on flying within Europe.

I am going to be flying from AMS to ATH and back and have a couple questions for those of you with experience.

The flight options are:

Transavia (which I don't know much about but have gathered is LCC, so I probably won't fly them since they aren't much cheaper)
Aegean
KLM

I haven't flown Aegean or KLM before so I don't really have an opinion on either. I know the name KLM better but that doesn't mean much. So, I just wanted some input on which you like better and why. If there is one you would avoid and why. Also, is there anything I should know that is different flying European as opposed to in the USA.
How far in advance is the best time buy?

Thanks in advance.

steveinbc

Re: ATH to AMS airline question

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 am

Theres no doubt that Aegean hs the better service. Its also a Star Alliance member so you can earn points and if you have the atatus use the lounges and select preferred seats. KLM is solid but nothing special in my view.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Jshank83
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 am

steveinbc wrote:
Theres no doubt that Aegean hs the better service. Its also a Star Alliance member so you can earn points and if you have the atatus use the lounges and select preferred seats. KLM is solid but nothing special in my view.

I saw they have 2 fair classes. light and flex. I was surprised the difference between the two isn't bigger since it makes change fees free and you get a checked bag. How do advanced seat assignments work? I am guessing there is a fee. I have a UA frequent flyer account but I only flew one flight on it last year, so I don't have status.

It also acted like there was a meal on the flight when I did a dummy booking. It is only a 3.5 hour flight. That seems weird, but maybe that is how it is in Europe?

I don't have status on DL either so that wouldn't help me with KLM either. My home airport is a big WN station so I fly that most of the time, which doesn't help with international travel.

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 am

Aegean without a doubt. They are the best full fare carrier in Europe. They have regular sales and are good value too.
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

debonair

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 am

No question - Aegean!

If you are looking for real adventure, out of the box flying experience, I can recommend https://www.air-mediterranean.com/ flying into STN, where you can pick up a low-cost flight to AMS... Air Mediterranean is a very "exotic" and "unique" airline!

CyBeRino

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I saw they have 2 fare classes. light and flex. I was surprised the difference between the two isn't bigger since it makes change fees free and you get a checked bag. How do advanced seat assignments work? I am guessing there is a fee. I have a UA frequent flyer account but I only flew one flight on it last year, so I don't have status.

(Assuming you're referring to KL here) Flex also gives you priority baggage, security and boarding. Advance seat assignments involve a fee for non-status pax. If you do not wish to pay the fee, seat selection is free at OLCI which opens exactly 30 hours before departure.

It also acted like there was a meal on the flight when I did a dummy booking. It is only a 3.5 hour flight. That seems weird, but maybe that is how it is in Europe?

KL, being a full-service European carrier, does provide a complimentary meal and drinks on every flight. Of course, since these are short flights, the meal is not a replacement for dinner but more snack-size.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

CyBeRino wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
I saw they have 2 fare classes. light and flex. I was surprised the difference between the two isn't bigger since it makes change fees free and you get a checked bag. How do advanced seat assignments work? I am guessing there is a fee. I have a UA frequent flyer account but I only flew one flight on it last year, so I don't have status.

(Assuming you're referring to KL here) Flex also gives you priority baggage, security and boarding. Advance seat assignments involve a fee for non-status pax. If you do not wish to pay the fee, seat selection is free at OLCI which opens exactly 30 hours before departure.

KL, being a full-service European carrier, does provide a complimentary meal and drinks on every flight. Of course, since these are short flights, the meal is not a replacement for dinner but more snack-size.

Sorry I was talking about Aegean during this part. I should have specified. That said, I appreciate the KL info also! It is good to know they are 30 hours check in. I am used to everyone being 24.

Blerg

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Without a doubt you should go with Aegean. Their crew is phenomenal, so friendly, kind and helpful. Even on regional flights their service is better than what most airlines offer on longer flights.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks for all the responses everyone. It was very helpful!