dan12345
Topic Author

Cabin Videography/Photography on AA

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 am

I am going to be traveling business class for the first time on AA 787 next week and of course want to document the trip as closely as possible. I want to start making video trip reports and am extremely new to this!

However, I am wondering if AA flight attendants usually would have a problem with me walking around the cabin with a camera (GoPro or DSLR). I would specifically like to get video and photo shots of a (near) empty cabin before most people have boarded. Does anybody have any experience with this or have flight attendants had a problem with this before. If I want to upload to Instagram/Youtube, do people's faces that happen to be in the video be blurred.

I would primarily like to use my GoPro for this, because it is not large and intrusive.

I would appreciate other people's experience on this issue.

aeromoe

Re: Cabin Videography/Photography on AA

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

This past December I had a flight attendant on my AA A330 flight from CLT to PHX explicitly tell me there was no photography onboard their aircraft and it "says so in the inflight magazine." The encounter started mid-flight when I was simply trying to get a phone photo of the map on the rear wall near the galley. I didn't press the issue and just returned to my seat.

My only experience with an F/A telling me something like this.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

aklrno

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:44 am

You mentioned "near empty" cabin before "most people" have boarded. I think that means some passengers have boarded. Most airlines would consider it an invasion of their customer's privacy and thus ban it.

I have been on flights where the airline itself wanted to do some videography (like for UA "Big Metal Bird" series). All passengers were asked to sign a release to allow themselves to be videoed. Care was taken to keep cameras away from those who did not want to sign.

Your desire for pictures does not outweigh my desire for privacy. The FA can't see just what is in your viewfinder, nor where the camera might be turned. Thus all use is banned. You might get away with a pictures of your travel companions in adjacent seats while seated. Stand up and you have a problem.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

aeromoe wrote:
This past December I had a flight attendant on my AA A330 flight from CLT to PHX explicitly tell me there was no photography onboard their aircraft and it "says so in the inflight magazine." The encounter started mid-flight when I was simply trying to get a phone photo of the map on the rear wall near the galley. I didn't press the issue and just returned to my seat.

My only experience with an F/A telling me something like this.

Moe

I just flew AA to New Zealand and took several photos on board. I took a few boarding or while sitting just to show the layout of the airplane. I also took a few of my girlfriend sitting in her seat. Of course they are all just for my personal trip photos. Other than an individual photo of my girlfriend in her seat - with no-one else in the photo - nothing will go on social media.

I also took quite a few out the window photos. In addition, during a delay at LAX on a E175, they let me walk out on the top of the boarding stairs and take a few photos of other airplanes. This was after chatting a bit with the crew (we had a ground hold in LAX due to weather in SEA), and they apparently knew I'm law abiding and an airplane fan who works in the industry.

No-one said anything at any time.

I didn't look at what was in the in-flight magazine, but my understanding is that AA permits on-board photography of your family, like sitting in their seats. They may not permit just walking around and taking indiscriminate photos though.

geologyrocks

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 am

Regardless of policies, people should have no expectation of privacy in public places.

jeffh747

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 am

I personally have never had a single issue on American when it comes to photography onboard. Delta and United, I’ve had one off encounters but not American, and I’ve flown their Dreamliners before. Ultimately it’ll come down to the crewmember. Most times they won’t care, but if they’re having a rough day, then that may be the only issue. My recommendation, if you’re really unsure and don’t want to potentially draw their attention, just ask them ahead of time. “Hi I’m Jeff and I’m a big aviation geek, and I love the 787, I specifically book this flight to ride on it. Do you mind if I take any photos of the cabin/seat/whatever?” Normally, asking politely goes a very long way.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90

janders

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 am

geologyrocks wrote:
Regardless of policies, people should have no expectation of privacy in public places.

The problem is an aircraft is not a public place, but private property.

Personally, I would be careful to avoid capturing shots of any other passengers onboard in an effort to be courteous and mindful of both fellow passengers and airline.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

geologyrocks

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 am

janders wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

The problem is an aircraft is not a public place, but private property.

Personally, I would be careful to avoid capturing shots of any other passengers onboard in an effort to be courteous and mindful of both fellow passengers and airline.

Most public places are private property. I’m not advocating that you should go against policies and I’m certainly not supporting people just going up and deliberately taking a photo of an individual but people have unrealistic expectations of privacy. It’s no different than being caught in the background while at Disney. Cameras are everywhere.

You can and should be able to leave your iPad on your dashboard in plain view in a parking lot. There are certainly several laws that would protect you. That doesn’t mean that they will. That’s all I’m saying. Just as a response to the poster talking about the protection of his privacy. You shouldn’t have an expectation in a public area and you shouldn’t expect your iPad to still be there when you get back.

masgniw

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

geologyrocks wrote:
Most public places are private property.

Wat.

geologyrocks

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 am

masgniw wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

Wat.

So you think shopping centers aren’t public spaces?

masgniw

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
masgniw wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

Wat.

So you think shopping centers aren’t public spaces?

My problem is with your use of "most".