FlyingSicilian
Topic Author
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 am

Hello,

I am trying to compile a list of the shortest routes flown by the main airlines of the US, Canada, and Mexico. Jet or Prop does not matter for my list and for my list a regional carrier marketed as mainline would count for what I need.

I can just find Southwest HOU-AUS at 148mi and United SFO-STS at 66mi

Anyone know American, Delta, Air Canada, Aeromexico, WestJet, Hawaiian, Alaska, and jetBlue?

Thanks
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
SeaDoo
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 am

I would assume for AS it is PSG-WRG 32 miles

For HI, I would assume OGG-KOA 84 miles
 
BillyD
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 am

AC has YVR-YYJ - 40 mi.
 
Noise
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 am

YVR-YCD is 33 miles with AC and WS.
 
BillyD
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:41 am

BillyD wrote:
AC has YVR-YYJ - 40 mi.


WS have YVR-YCD - 33 mi.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to compile a list of the shortest routes flown by the main airlines of the US, Canada, and Mexico. Jet or Prop does not matter for my list and for my list a regional carrier marketed as mainline would count for what I need.

I can just find Southwest HOU-AUS at 148mi and United SFO-STS at 66mi

Anyone know American, Delta, Air Canada, Aeromexico, WestJet, Hawaiian, Alaska, and jetBlue?

Thanks


WN also has MDW-GRR, 137mi. So far that's the shortest I can find on WN's network (Another close one is ATL-GSP, 154mi).

EDIT: Just realized ORD-MKE is 67mi (Straight line distance). Just losing out to SFO-STS.

EDIT 2: I believe AM is MEX-QRO (109mi). Of course, there may be some 2-hop flights that I'm missing.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
FlyingSicilian
Topic Author
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to compile a list of the shortest routes flown by the main airlines of the US, Canada, and Mexico. Jet or Prop does not matter for my list and for my list a regional carrier marketed as mainline would count for what I need.

I can just find Southwest HOU-AUS at 148mi and United SFO-STS at 66mi

Anyone know American, Delta, Air Canada, Aeromexico, WestJet, Hawaiian, Alaska, and jetBlue?

Thanks


WN also has MDW-GRR, 137mi. So far that's the shortest I can find on WN's network (Another close one is ATL-GSP, 154mi).


Thanks, Southwest's webpage fact sheet lists HOU-AUS. I appreciate the update.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 5363
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:19 am

There have been threads on this before. SFO-OAK was one of the all time shortest routes in the US.
 
FlyingSicilian
Topic Author
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:32 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
There have been threads on this before. SFO-OAK was one of the all time shortest routes in the US.


I am aware of old threads. Continental's IAH-EFD (and before that IAH-HOU) intracity flights, which were bookable, normal flights, were the shortest and only intracity flights for many years.

However, I am needing and seeking a list of the current shortest mileage-wise.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:58 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:

However, I am needing and seeking a list of the current shortest mileage-wise.

My I ask why? Just curious.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
IADCA
Posts: 1617
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm

As is usually repeated on these threads, a good general guide is that many of these will be short flights across water, where driving takes much longer than it normally would or is impossible. Another alternative is routes between major airports that are very close together but between which traffic conditions are very bad.

For example, I'd bet that for B6, one of the shortest (may well be the shortest) is BOS-MVY (70 miles), slightly shorter than BOS-ACK. Both seasonal. Most majors will have numerous routes under 100 miles on regional metal.

FlyingSicilian wrote:
Hello,


WN also has MDW-GRR, 137mi. So far that's the shortest I can find on WN's network (Another close one is ATL-GSP, 154mi).

EDIT: Just realized ORD-MKE is 67mi (Straight line distance). Just losing out to SFO-STS.

EDIT 2: I believe AM is MEX-QRO (109mi). Of course, there may be some 2-hop flights that I'm missing.


ORD-MKE might be the shortest on AA, though.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

IADCA wrote:
As is usually repeated on these threads, a good general guide is that many of these will be short flights across water, where driving takes much longer than it normally would or is impossible. Another alternative is routes between major airports that are very close together but between which traffic conditions are very bad.

For example, I'd bet that for B6, one of the shortest (may well be the shortest) is BOS-MVY (70 miles), slightly shorter than BOS-ACK. Both seasonal. Most majors will have numerous routes under 100 miles on regional metal.


For B6, there's also the 1/day SJU-STT at 68mi (Most of the flights between them are on Cape Air). And of course, it's flight across water.

For DL - So far the shortest I can think of is DTW-LAN (75mi). There may be some shorter one, though.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Virgin America's is LAX-LAS, not that it will matter in a few days time.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
cofannyc
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Confirming a few and adding a few (based on OAG data for Jan 2018 travel):

AA: ABE-PHL @ 55 mi
AC: YCD-YVR @ 32 mi
AM: MEX-QRO @ 117 mi
AS: PSG-WRG @ 31 mi
B6: SJU-STT @ 68 mi
DL: APN-PLN @ 69 mi
F9: ABQ-DEN @ 349 mi
G4: FAT-LAS @ 258 mi
HA: LNY-MKK @ 27 mi
NK: FLL-MCO @ 178 mi
PD: YTM-YUL @ 87 mi
UA: SFO-STS @ 66 mi (though GUM-ROP comes in at 56 mi)
VX: LAS-LAX @ 236 mi
WN: GRR-MDW @ 137 mi
WS: YCD-YVR @ 32 mi
9K (Cape Air): EWB-MVY @ 26 mi
 
FlyingSicilian
Topic Author
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Shortest mileage USA, MEX, CAN flights list?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 pm

cofannyc wrote:
Confirming a few and adding a few (based on OAG data for Jan 2018 travel):

AA: ABE-PHL @ 55 mi
AC: YCD-YVR @ 32 mi
AM: MEX-QRO @ 117 mi
AS: PSG-WRG @ 31 mi
B6: SJU-STT @ 68 mi
DL: APN-PLN @ 69 mi
F9: ABQ-DEN @ 349 mi
G4: FAT-LAS @ 258 mi
HA: LNY-MKK @ 27 mi
NK: FLL-MCO @ 178 mi
PD: YTM-YUL @ 87 mi
UA: SFO-STS @ 66 mi (though GUM-ROP comes in at 56 mi)
VX: LAS-LAX @ 236 mi
WN: GRR-MDW @ 137 mi
WS: YCD-YVR @ 32 mi
9K (Cape Air): EWB-MVY @ 26 mi


Awesome, exactly what I needed for a presentation. I owe you an adult beverage or three!
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos