YYZflyboy
Topic Author

Alliances during Winter Storms

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 pm

In light of recent Winter Storms, have airlines rebooked customer on other alliance partners' flights through another hub? For example, instead of UA's SFO-EWR-TLV, customers were routed via IST, MUC, FRA, and YYZ to free up UA's other planes to clear the backlog at EWR once the inclement weather dies down. If not, what's the point of these alliances?

XAM2175

Re: Alliances during Winter Storms

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't know of what specific actions were taken by carriers during these storms but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this is the point of alliances. In my mind they've always been more about forming very basic virtual networks with reasonably-aligned frequent-flier benefits and the thin veneer of additional connectivity that comes from the interline agreements necessary to make them work in the background.

Witness how BA now refuse to interline baggage to any other airline, let alone their OneWorld partners, and also how some of the most comprehensive joint-business ventures in aviation at the moment like QF+EK and DL+VS involve airlines that aren't members of any alliance.

Exactly how any disrupted carrier handles passengers during their recovery will be determined to a much greater extent by the nature of the disruption and the specific agreements they have with other airlines at that station more than any blanket alliance "friendships".

gunnerman

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:39 pm

At BA, when there is a disruption a policy is issued to the call centres which sets out the rules for rebooking, e.g. rebook in the same cabin within a certain period on BA and certain other oneworld carriers. However, at the airports the reservation agents had (and may still have as my information is not up-to-date) wider powers and can rebook on rival carriers as they operate under a different policy.

devron

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Just recently I got rebooked from AF to LH. Big competitors.

AAvgeek744

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Seems to me alliances are nothing but a marketing ploy. Given the fact some airlines within alliances don't have much if any relationship with each other and the fact many code share and have joint ventures outside their respective alliances, they seem to have run their course.

rlwynn

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 pm

Last January I was booked DUS-LAX on KLM. I saw that AMS was closed due to ice before there was an announcement and I went to the desk. She offered to get me to LAX on LH through EWR from DUS. I said I would really like to fly from Europe straight to LAX. She said how do you want to go, CDG, FRA, MUC or ZRH? So I picked Swiss.
I can drive faster than you

ACDC8

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 am

LH has rebooked me on BA and KL several times in the past. KL has rebooked me on AC several times in the past.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut