VC10er
Topic Author

When Celebrities Fly Commercial?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Hello all,

This may not be a very long thread, but I have a small itch of a question/s that I am curious about. And probably the FA's here have the answers. When a famous person, let's say VERY famous person books a ticket on any carrier, is it flagged in advance with the crew being notified ahead of time? Or are there just company rules that apply? Because I would assume that a celebrity does not want to have an FA say something like "OMG You're Madonna!" or ask for a pic or autograph. Are there even ways to help protect them from out-of-control passengers who may get overly star struck and want to meet them?

I have seen so many famous people over my lifetime of flying that I am sure I cannot remember them all. And I shall admit in some cases I was star struck, but I would never dare say a thing. It mostly happened when I was in First Class and there was far greater privacy. I did only ever speak to one, and that was Michael Phelps on a United flight to Singapore. He was in 1A and I was in 1k on a 747. He was very cool and he started the conversation, not me. He was off to practice in Singapore for the Beijing Olympics and said that Beijing was too polluted to practice for a month.

And today, when you have 2 seats together, I don't know how I would react if I was in my seat and Sigourney Weaver sat down next to me. (one person I once sat near). If it were Bill Clinton, heck, I sure would talk to him. Politicians are in a different category for me. (Although I realize a living ex-President would NEVER be flying next to me)

Last, and rather silly question, if it was indeed Madonna or Cher or Lady Gaga or any other single named celebrity, are they addressed as "Madonna" or "Ms Ciccone?", etc...
(Lol, I am just picturing some poor FA having to say "here's your short ribs Ms Gaga")

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

AA321T

Re: When Celebrities Fly Commercial?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Many times a Premium Services rep will come down before boarding and let us know we have a VIP on board, where they are sitting, and who it is. Sometimes they have special requests but that's pretty rare. They usually board near the end so that pax that are boarding won't see them sitting in their seat. Whenever I interact with a celebrity I always use whatever name is printed on the manifest. Many of these folks appreciate us treating them like anyone else; for example, I recently had Vanilla Ice on a flight and he mentioned that he was relieved that none of us made a scene about him being on board.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

That is funny! I had to read what you wrote a couple of times because I thought (at first) a celebrity had an issue with Vanilla Ice cream! Lol!

What you say makes a lot of sense...a rep coming and inform you prior to a famous person boarding. I once saw Phillis Diller get on the flight last, probably for the reason you mention, but she turned to us all in F and smiled and waved. I give her a thumbs up in return.

Gosh now I am curious if a person like Cher, Madonna or Vanilla Ice actually need to use their full names on their tickets?

Thanks

Dutchy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 pm

VC10er wrote:
Gosh now I am curious if a person like Cher, Madonna or Vanilla Ice actually need to use their full names on their tickets?

Isn't that mandatory? I doubt that Celebrities are above the law.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

STLflyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 pm

VC10er wrote:

It would have to match what's on their government ID/passport, so unless they got a legal name change to their stage name, then they'd have to use their legal name.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 pm

While most of the hottest celebrities wouldn't really ever need miles, but do they hold high status often? Eg: Global Services, Concierge Key (I can't recall BA's top-top status card name) I think it was "Decision Maker?" But assuming they are always flying paid (by someone else or themselves) premium classes, and often, they would achieve high status...if they even held a mileage acct?

I assume Phillis Diller was a multi-million miler!

I am sure that almost all FA's would provide classy and discreet care for anyone famous, and probably becomes "no big deal" after a while no matter who boards.

Thanks

sixtyseven

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello all,

This may not be a very long thread, but I have a small itch of a question/s that I am curious about. And probably the FA's here have the answers. When a famous person, let's say VERY famous person books a ticket on any carrier, is it flagged in advance with the crew being notified ahead of time? Or are there just company rules that apply? Because I would assume that a celebrity does not want to have an FA say something like "OMG You're Madonna!" or ask for a pic or autograph. Are there even ways to help protect them from out-of-control passengers who may get overly star struck and want to meet them?

I have seen so many famous people over my lifetime of flying that I am sure I cannot remember them all. And I shall admit in some cases I was star struck, but I would never dare say a thing. It mostly happened when I was in First Class and there was far greater privacy. I did only ever speak to one, and that was Michael Phelps on a United flight to Singapore. He was in 1A and I was in 1k on a 747. He was very cool and he started the conversation, not me. He was off to practice in Singapore for the Beijing Olympics and said that Beijing was too polluted to practice for a month.

And today, when you have 2 seats together, I don't know how I would react if I was in my seat and Sigourney Weaver sat down next to me. (one person I once sat near). If it were Bill Clinton, heck, I sure would talk to him. Politicians are in a different category for me. (Although I realize a living ex-President would NEVER be flying next to me)

Last, and rather silly question, if it was indeed Madonna or Cher or Lady Gaga or any other single named celebrity, are they addressed as "Madonna" or "Ms Ciccone?", etc...
(Lol, I am just picturing some poor FA having to say "here's your short ribs Ms Gaga")

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone

Treat them like anyone else. With courtesy and respect. Sir or ma’am would work when in doubt.

As for whether or not to strike up a conversation? If you have any social graces whatsoever you’d hopefully be able to deduce if someone was a willing participant in a conversation after an initial “hello”. If not, nothing written on here would ever help you. You being rhetorical.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Cherilyn Sarkisian, Thomas Cruise Mapother IV , Demetria Guynes,Cornelius Crane Chase the list is endless ;-)
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

gunnerman

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Queen Elizabeth II is the only person in the UK who does not need a passport. All passports are issued in her name as head of state, so she does not have one. However, she still has to comply with regulations by providing her full name, age, address, nationality, gender and place of birth to security or immigration officials.

jmw99ttu

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 pm

VC10er wrote:

Thanks

Back in the late 90s when I worked the gates for Delta I had a flight with Cher on board. Her PNR had her name as “Ms Cher”. She most definitely boarded last.

zrh177

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Back in summer of 2016 I was on a flight from MIA-LHR on a BA 747. While in the lounge prior to departure, I literally almost ran in to a small woman and remarked to myself, "wow, she looks like Jennifer Garner." The ironic part of this is that I am utterly clueless with regards to Hollywood and celebrities, so I have no idea why I thought that it was her. But sure enough, as we were disembarking in London, my travel companion nudged me and pointed out that Jennifer Garner was indeed on our flight. It's noteworthy that Ms. Garner was accompanied to customs by a BA worker.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 pm

jmw99ttu wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Back in the late 90s when I worked the gates for Delta I had a flight with Cher on board. Her PNR had her name as “Ms Cher”. She most definitely boarded last.

Back in the late 90s you could buy a ticket in the name of Donald Duck, and as long as you turned up with the relevant ticket, it didn't matter what your name was. If it was international then you also needed a passport, but nobody matched the two documents together.

Post 9/11 (& with the advent of the internet and paperless booking/no physical tickets) you need supporting ID in the form of drivers license or passport. This is checked, along with your personalised boarding card that now carries individual names, at check-in, at security, and again at the gate, even for domestic flights. If the ticket/boarding card says Mr Duck, and your passport says Mr Jones, the only way you get to fly is using your own wings.

I should add this may only have been the case at most airports in most countries and with most airlines, and undoubtedly there are/were exceptions. But as a general observation that's how I remember it. Pretty much like buying a ticket on a bus or a train; as long as you held onto that ticket, it didn't matter who you were.

Indeed, if your ticket was originally in the name of D (Donald) Duck, but your nephew Hubert (Huey Duck) turned up, it wouldn't ruffle any feathers.
Unfortunately, these days the LCCs rub their hands with glee and charge you $100 for the simplest of a name changes, or $150 if you've been really careless and waited until you are at the airport standing in front of them at the desk. With Ryanair that usually means that changing the name on an existing ticket costs more than purchasing a new ticket. :banghead:
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

TransWorldOne

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 pm

It's simply depends on the person and the mood they're in and the vibe they put off. Some celebrities are quite friendly and gregarious and are happy to take photos and engage with the crew and passengers. Others' nonverbal cues make it quite clear that they are not open to conversation (hat pulled low, sunglasses, one word responses, etc). Many of them board last and some even purchase the seat next to them so it remains empty (Eva Longoria used to do this, I'm not sure if she still does). Every celebrity I've had on board has been reasonably friendly and gracious and even the ones that aren't necessarily friendly per se, haven't been rude or obnoxious. It's funny how once you see them, you realize they really are just normal people with normal people quirks. As for their names on the manifest, yes it is their legal name and not some alias per government regulations.

STLflyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Queen Elizabeth II is the only person in the UK who does not need a passport. All passports are issued in her name as head of state, so she does not have one. However, she still has to comply with regulations by providing her full name, age, address, nationality, gender and place of birth to security or immigration officials.

I don't understand how the queen can dictate documentation requirements in other countries. Not needing a passport to enter the UK or other commonwealth countries makes sense, but if she shows up at immigration in, say, Japan, what's stopping them from saying "No, we don't care who you are, we want to see a passport!"

canyonblue17

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Celebs like crazy here at PBI - so much money around here. Most I have met have been wonderful. Many understand interacting with the public - especially at an airport - is part of the gig. We've have everyone from Sarah Ferguson (former Dutchess of York) to Paris Hilton to Joe Namath to Brooke Shields. Paris was wonderful - posing for photos and kissing cheeks. Namath is hysterical. My favorite so far was Billy Gibbons - lead singer of ZZ Top. We took photos with him - then he offered to buy us a round at the bar (we were on duty so we passed). Many of them say they feel safer flying commercial. I had Martin Short at the gate one time - he took the microphone from me and did his own version of announcements.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

keesje

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Madonna economy class to London to Portugal.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

NYCVIE

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 am

keesje wrote:
Madonna economy class to London to Portugal.

Looks like TP business to me.

n729pa

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:34 am

A couple of years ago Sir Michael Caine had to legally change his name to Michael Caine (his stage name) because his passport was showing his real name and this was causing him delays at passport checks. There's a guy I would love to get sat next to on a long haul flight.

2-3 years ago I was flying home from STO to LHR and Jean-Eric Vergne who was racing in Formula One at the time (I guess most of you won't know him) but I spotted him at the gate and I nodded an acknowledgement at him, and I was surprised to find him flying with me in Y, he was just like a regular passenger.

But I guess you will also get the "do you know who I am" types too. Whilst I'm pretty good at recognising faces, these stars with 15 minutes of fame or D-List celebs as I call them would happily pass me by.

glbltrvlr

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 am

My only celebrity encounter was flying to Australia back in the 80s. We were in first, just before the door closed, Brian Dennehy slipped on board and into the last first class seat, just in front of the board door. He had a couple of beers and slept for the remainder of the flight.

glbltrvlr

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Unfortunately, these days the LCCs rub their hands with glee and charge you $100 for the simplest of a name changes, or $150 if you've been really careless and waited until you are at the airport standing in front of them at the desk. With Ryanair that usually means that changing the name on an existing ticket costs more than purchasing a new ticket.

And in the U.S., a last minute name change, even with paid fee, will get you an up close and personal relationship with a TSA agent.

gunnerman

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 am

STLflyer wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

I don't understand how the queen can dictate documentation requirements in other countries. Not needing a passport to enter the UK or other commonwealth countries makes sense, but if she shows up at immigration in, say, Japan, what's stopping them from saying "No, we don't care who you are, we want to see a passport!"

She doesn't dictate anything. Bear in mind that she visits a country by invitation from its head of state, so she will certainly gain entry.

dcajet

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:07 am

Sheila Lanktree was one of those cabin staff members that made history at Aerolineas Argentinas.

Back in the early 60s, Sheila was on a Comet 4, from JFK to EZE, via POS and GIG. Aboard the flight from JFK came as a passenger Ms. Maria Callas, the famous Greek American opera singer, "la divina", diva of the divas, who was on her way to Buenos AIres to perform at the Teatro Colón. As is known by all, Callas was very temperamental and was in a very bad mood because of the arrival, the journalists and all the harassment. It occurred to Sheila to say that they could trade places, that she would put on her clothes and Callas her uniform. This happened and deceived the journalists who instead of following Callas followed Sheila wearing dark glasses and saying NO NO NO NO - it was another era, the controls at EZE were lax or non existent.

Nobody could make Callas happy. Only Sheila!

http://www.floxie.com.ar/2017/05/sheila ... rgentinas/
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

ubeema

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
Many of them board last and some even purchase the seat next to them so it remains empty (Eva Longoria used to do this, I'm not sure if she still does).

How does one purchase an empty seat (and under which name). Is it a special request with airline so it is not seen as no-show?

UPNYGuy

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:59 am

Kristen Chenoweth was behind me in F BOS-LAX. I left her alone as did everybody else.

TransWorldOne

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:07 am

ubeema wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Many of them board last and some even purchase the seat next to them so it remains empty (Eva Longoria used to do this, I'm not sure if she still does).

How does one purchase an empty seat (and under which name). Is it a special request with airline so it is not seen as no-show?

I believe there is some kind of note in the reservation that the person purchased two seats. Large passengers do it all the time.

RWA380

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 am

UPNYGuy wrote:
Kristen Chenoweth was behind me in F BOS-LAX. I left her alone as did everybody else.

My F/A friend at AS stated she was demeaning & demanding, not a pleasure to work with.

I can tell you from the standpoint of a travel agent who booked VIP & Celebrity types, airlines have celebrity lines where one can call to get these customers taken care of if needed, the names do always match their legal names & some are just great to work with & others will call & scream at you when the regional jet, on a one hour flight, doesn't offer a mainline jet experience, or when your flight to Paris that you booked at the last minute for fashion week, is not on your preferred carrier because you only fly business or first & they are sold out, so you end up on TN in F & your audio doesn't work & the meal is cold. But my personal favorite was the female lead of the Fugees, who called screaming the night of the grammys, thinking the small tent the hotel had out front was a operating circus & not just a cover for the fountain repair, demanding another suite in Hollywood for that night at another property. The mastermind of that same group I booked out of LAX that same night after they performed, he was on his way home to Haiti to vote, Haiti closed it's airspace that day & all flights cancelled in or out of the country, so after a quick rebook to Santo Domingo he was picked up by the Haitian military & he voted that day.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

LockheedBBD

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:14 am

VC10er wrote:
Because I would assume that a celebrity does not want to have an FA say something like "OMG You're Madonna!" or ask for a pic or autograph. Are there even ways to help protect them from out-of-control passengers who may get overly star struck and want to meet them?

There are some exceptions...these clips of a ...."celebrity"...... were recorded on a commercial WestJet flight :rotfl: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ysw5PC1V60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5ruN6e06U

eisenbach

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 am

The general rule that VIPs board last is true. My observations from Austria and Central Europe are, that industrial VIPs are flying mostly private jet services but that you meet TV and sports celebrities very often in Y class.

In (Austrian) politics even the president or chancellor travelling most of the time on regular commercial flights, on short haul mostly in Y. So once I was on a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Vienna and at the end of boarding the stewardess asked me, if I would mind to be reseated one row behind, as a VIP is coming. In fact it was the Austrian president flying back from an official mission in Central America, which wanted to sit next to the First Lady :-)

As we don't have a governmental fleet in Austria, for large diplomatic or commercial missions, a commercial plane (A320, B767,...) is chartered. So especially with the smaller planes you are always close to "politics". I think thats the main reason why our heads of state use mostly commercial flights for all the travel.

Presidents or sate secretaries of larger countries seem to reserve quiet often the whole F-cabin. This happened twice to me on flights.
DC-6, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, ATR42, ATR72, Dash8-400Q, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

opticalilyushin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

A few of my friends were on a domestic flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri a couple of years ago. Everyone was seated near the back with only 1 or 2 at the front- normal W&B for a Dash 8. During the flight one of my friends moved up front to get some nice pics of the scenery and the props, he sat beside one of the two at the front to do it. After the flight he found out it was the Icelandic president next to him!

In my own experience with celebs, it's usually a low key thing, I've even walked past a disembarking Bruno Mars without realising it was him. With senior politicians they will often travel with plain-clothes police officers who are 'packing heat'.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:18 am

ubeema wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

I once turned up at an airport with myself, two children and a fourth ticket (child #3 opted out). I hoped we might get four seats between the three of us on a crowded plane.
Not a chance! Someone else got the benefit of an empty seat next to them; not us. :hissyfit:

If your search engine is able to filter out all the crêpe and actually get proper results (unlike mine), you should ask about Queen guitarist Brian May and his travel arrangements. He has good reason to be protective about his "Old Lady" and invariably brings her on board with him, booking a second seat, even on Concorde.
Somewhere in one article I'm sure I read a line detailing how the guitar /spare seat was described on his ticket.

This is presented as news in 2014, but he's been doing it for years.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... light.html

ps - if anybody out there doesn't know; it's not Brian May being decadent for no good reason - his guitar is beyond unique.

WA707atMSP

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am

My favorite celebrity story: After she left office, former Israeli prime minister Golda Meir flew on AA from LGA to DCA. Unlike most celebrities, she was boarded first, then Mossad swept the aircraft before anyone else could board. One of my friends was the pilot; he is a native of Racine, Wisconsin, and Ms. Meir grew up nearby in Milwaukee. After Ms. Meir was boarded, my friend walked back to her seat, and the two of them spent several minutes chatting about what it was like to grow up in Wisconsin. I'm sure Ms. Meir enjoyed the conversation much more than she would have enjoyed a conversation about Middle East politics.

Bostrom

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:52 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
ubeema wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

I believe there is some kind of note in the reservation that the person purchased two seats. Large passengers do it all the time.

Quite common among musicians as well who need an extra seat for their instrument.

UPNYGuy

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm

RWA380 wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:

My F/A friend at AS stated she was demeaning & demanding, not a pleasure to work with.

I can tell you from the standpoint of a travel agent who booked VIP & Celebrity types, airlines have celebrity lines where one can call to get these customers taken care of if needed, the names do always match their legal names & some are just great to work with & others will call & scream at you when the regional jet, on a one hour flight, doesn't offer a mainline jet experience, or when your flight to Paris that you booked at the last minute for fashion week, is not on your preferred carrier because you only fly business or first & they are sold out, so you end up on TN in F & your audio doesn't work & the meal is cold. But my personal favorite was the female lead of the Fugees, who called screaming the night of the grammys, thinking the small tent the hotel had out front was a operating circus & not just a cover for the fountain repair, demanding another suite in Hollywood for that night at another property. The mastermind of that same group I booked out of LAX that same night after they performed, he was on his way home to Haiti to vote, Haiti closed it's airspace that day & all flights cancelled in or out of the country, so after a quick rebook to Santo Domingo he was picked up by the Haitian military & he voted that day.

She kept to herself, but I have read similar things as well. She knew I recognized her (I knodded and smiled). She smiled back to me, and kept to herself for the rest of her flight.

XAM2175

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Post 9/11 (& with the advent of the internet and paperless booking/no physical tickets) you need supporting ID in the form of drivers license or passport. This is checked, along with your personalised boarding card that now carries individual names, at check-in, at security, and again at the gate, even for domestic flights.

Not on Australian domestics mate - they retain the right to do an ID match at check-in but there's no routine ID-to-ticket comparison at security or boarding.

STLflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:
It would have to match what's on their government ID/passport, so unless they got a legal name change to their stage name, then they'd have to use their legal name.

Some countries, such as the UK, will issue passports that show a person's legal name on the ID page with an "observation" or endorsement of "The Holder is" or "The Holder is also known as", but I'm not sure how many celebrities have walked this road as opposed to legally changing their name.

(It is the case, I understand, that Kiefer Sutherland's British passport is so endorsed but because his full set of six given names is too long for the ID page)

gunnerman wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Queen Elizabeth II is the only person in the UK who does not need a passport. All passports are issued in her name as head of state, so she does not have one.
I don't understand how the queen can dictate documentation requirements in other countries.

Bingo. As Head of State, all her international travel is considered to be on behalf of the State, so it will be pre-arranged to the hilt.

---

My own experience with notable personalities on flights is limited but when I lived in Canberra it wasn't all uncommon to spot government persons jetting about on QF flights when they didn't merit a trip on one of the RAAF Challengers or BBJs. Indeed I flew to MEL once sitting directly behind Alexander Downer, who was Minister of Foreign Affairs at the time, and on another occasion a late admission to the J cabin on a flight to SYD happened to be Bob Hawke, a former Prime Minister, though that would have been personal travel at that point. I like to imagine that QF SOP for seeing his name appear on the manifest is to immediately pillage every bar cart on station for every available scrap of extra beer ;)

Groover158

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
There are some exceptions...these clips of a ...."celebrity"...... were recorded on a commercial WestJet flight :rotfl: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ysw5PC1V60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5ruN6e06U

Never in my time on this site have I felt such an urge to punch someone in the face, as I did when I saw those Lil’ Pump (whoever that is) clips.

jnev3289

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

When I was a Station Manager for AS at BWI, Ciara (Singer and Russell Wilson's wife) was flying on our BWI-SEA flight and I was instructed to meet her at the sidewalk, have her bags checked, and escort her through the TSA process and onto the plane. She was with an entourage and her son (who was FaceTime'ing with Russell Wilson which was awesome), but was generally perfectly nice to me and my agents.

VC10er
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

I once flew with Gisele from Rio to NYC on VARIG.
My god she was beautiful
Not one person made a fuss and no paparazzi at the airport- which I thought likely.

jumpjets

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
ubeema wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

Its quite easy to book two seats for the same flight - I did it once by mistake I booked online when the internet crashed just at the crucial moment and I thought my payment had failed so went through the process of booking again. It was only when I was at the gate at LCY that the BA gate agent stoppd me and asked if I realised I had two seats booked and then kindly explained how I could get a refund for the second seat even though technically it was a non changeable/refundable ticket.

So it must be quite easy to do it delinberately.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 am

STLflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:

The retired Cincinnati Bengal formerly known as Chad Ochocinco comes to mind!

I once checked in a Youtuber who was travelling on my airline at the time for a marketing campaign. I had to refer him to our ticketing staff because he was checked in under his nickname (which was clearly a stand-in for his real name, nothing that would throw you off otherwise) and not his real name in his passport. Because of that I believe he had to fly the next day because they didn't resolve it in time.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

vhtje

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

STLflyer wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

It's not that Her Majesty is dictating what documentation she needs, it is because she is Head of State (indeed she is the Head of State of a number of countries). Convention and courtesy dictate that any Head of State, on an official visit to a foreign country, is not subjected to the same rigours of immigration and security control as we mere mortals. Or, rather, the immigration and security is done differently. For example the US President, as Head of State, would not present a passport when landing in the UK on an official visit on Air Force One. It is worthwhile remembering that a Head of State does not just "rock up" to a foreign country - any visit to a foreign country by a Head of State is done at the invitation and instigation of the host country, and is planned many months (if not years) in advance, with details of who is accompanying the Head of State supplied to the host country.

Presumably if Her Majesty undertook a private visit to a country to which she is not Head of State, she would be required to present documentation - but form that would be, I do not know. I think most of her private ie non-state travel is to her homes within the UK (Sandringham, Balmoral) or to countries where she is Head of State.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

jumpjets

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Presumably if Her Majesty undertook a private visit to a country to which she is not Head of State, she would be required to present documentation - but form that would be, I do not know. I think most of her private ie non-state travel is to her homes within the UK (Sandringham, Balmoral) or to countries where she is Head of State.[/quote]

I seem to recall she had a bit of a thing going to see the gee-gees in Kentucky and at Longchamps - but have no idea in what capacity she went or what documentation she required.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

vhtje wrote:

STLflyer wrote:

Convention and courtesy dictate that any Head of State, on an official visit to a foreign country, is not subjected to the same rigours of immigration and security control as we mere mortals. Or, rather, the immigration and security is done differently.

Presumably if Her Majesty undertook a private visit to a country to which she is not Head of State, she would be required to present documentation .

First & foremost, a passport is simply a piece of paper designed to facilitate smooth and safe passage. It is not the Holy Grail.

People can enter a country without a passport; in fact it happens on a daily basis, particularly with refugees. True, in most cases there are restrictions, and delays, and bureaucracy, but these can be waived, e.g. in the case of a medical emergency. Or, if you are the Queen. Or the Pope. Or POTUS. Or engaged on a humanitarian mission. Or members of the UN Peacekeeping force. Or indeed any military that rocks up carrying it's own hardware.
(Ok, I concede that in many of these cases it is better all round if individual passports are carried, but I would argue they are optional accessories)

Indeed, many of the normal "rules", particularly regarding carrying of weapons, are circumvented when it comes to visits by Heads of State who bring their own bodyguards. They are probably also allowed to carry liquids in quantities greater than 100ml. I have certainly never seen a bottle of Moët & Chandon smaller than 375ml.

In the case of most state visits, or even unofficial visits by high-ranking personnel, I suspect it is a case of pre-clearance
In the case of the U.S., I would guess it can all be handled at their Embassy, 24 Grosvenor Square, W1A 2LQ.

CyBeRino

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Indeed, many of the normal "rules", particularly regarding carrying of weapons, are circumvented when it comes to visits by Heads of State who bring their own bodyguards.

In most countries that requires a metric assload of permits and documentation though. Do not think the POTUS can just bring his SS guys with all their weaponry willy-nilly. This must all be approved. (It almost always is, of course.)

They are probably also allowed to carry liquids in quantities greater than 100ml. I have certainly never seen a bottle of Moët & Chandon smaller than 375ml.

Here you go.

ei146

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 pm

In Germany you can have your pseudonym or artist's name in your ID and passport. You can even use it for legal matters, in contracts and for signatures, with real estate business being the only exception. So you could also use it for tickets. But many will just use their civil name anyway.

I was once on an Lufthansa evening flight from Berlin to Munich with Edmund Stoiber, at that time prime minister of the state of Bavaria. He was accompanied by an assistant and a bodyguard. He was driven in a limousine to the plane directly, boarded last and left first.

jetwet1

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:12 pm

I have been lucky enough to share flights with a few celebrities, from Madonna (VS LHR-JKF with her kids in Upper, kept to herself, didn't leave her seat) to Brian Dennehy ( sat next to him in Upper LAX-LHR, asshat is the nice way of describing him) to a few flights with Brad Pitt and whoever he was dating at the time (WN LAS-BUR on WN, a real nice guy, he would help with the peanut runs) Madonna boarded first, Dennehy with everyone else and Brad + whoever last, though they would hold 3 of the seats in row one for him.

Slightly funny side story, my wife and Angelina have the same OBGYN, we were in his office waiting for the wife to go get her annual when Brad and Angelina walked in, I look up, see who it is and say "Hi Brad, where are my peanuts?", he replies "Hey "Jet" long time no see"....The wife gave we a WTF look that could go down in history.

stratosphere

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 am

I have flown with a few famous people. I flew MEM-EWR in FC on a NW DC-9 across from Lawrence Taylor of the NY Giants he was flying with a friend and kept to himself no one treated him any different than any other passenger. Also flew from MSP-EWR on an NW A320 when Bill Murray boarded with a few of his friends they went right to the last row the flight was pretty empty was last flight of the night. Again no one bothered them. But the best flight I had was a flight out of MSP the agent asked me if I wanted to sit next to Sen Paul Wellstone I said sure. He was in coach it was a true pleasure to talk to him. I am not a democrat but this man in my opinion was a true man of the people he was dressed casual rode with us little people in coach a refreshing change from most all politicians. We had a real nice chat I was truly heartbroken when I heard he was killed in a plane crash.

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 am

Back in 2000, I worked the DL ramp at PWM. One day, my coworker and I were having a smoke break at curbside drop off when a black SUV pulled up and the Red Hot Chili Peppers got out. (They'd played a show the night before) They we're quickly met by a DL rep and ushered through the security door behind the checkin counter to the operations area out back where they waited before boarding their flight to CVG.

Another time, saw the members of Lynyrd Skynard eating lunch in the airport restaurant before their flight to ATL. The were very approachable and signing autographs for those who came up and asked.

flipdewaf

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 am

VC10er wrote:
(Although I realize a living ex-President would NEVER be flying next to me)
Its distinctly more likely than a dead one!

Fred

ojjunior

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Liked this topic...despite Madonna's pic above, any other? Would love to see...
BTW, in what planet is Eva Longoria a celebrity???
Also Vanilla Ice might be a celebrity for anyone over 30's, ask any millenial who's he and you gonna receive a big question mark as an answer. Put him on a flight full of teenagers and he will probably go unnoticed and not be bothered.

Had no experiences on board but somewhere in the 90's I clearly remember being behind Ray Conniff in the queue for a McDonalds sundae at GRU. Love him, miss him!

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Re:musicians flying with their instruments, I remember back in the late '80's flying an AA plane to DFW from DCA and I was seated in the second row of coach. After most everyone had boarded, on comes Mstislav Rostropovich ( he was conductor in DC at the time) hauling his cello on board. He took the bulkhead seat in front on my and his cello was propped up between the bulkhead and the seat next to him. It was interesting he was flying coach and not first, but it may have been easier to accommodate the cello in the first row of economy.
About 15 years ago, I was seated in first on a UA 737. Two Buddhist monks boarded late and sat behind me. I didn't think much of it. Late in the flight I got up to use the restroom and the FA asked me " do you know who the Dalai Lama is?" I said, yes, he's the head of Tibetan Buddhism, thinking it was some sort of academic question. She then told me, well, he's sitting right behind you. I did smile at him when I returned to my seat and he said hello, but that was the extent of our interaction.