GE90man
Topic Author

How close do flights fly near Area 51?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:34 am

I flew LAS-SEA in FSX with a Delta a321, and flew pretty close to Area 51, so close that it was visible from the cockpit. Of course, this is only Flight sim. So I was wondering: how close do planes actually get to Area 51?
edit Excluding Janet of course
Last edited by GE90man on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GE90man
Topic Author

Re: How close do flights fly near Area 51?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 am

ridgid727 wrote:
Janet Airlines flies right into area 51, but you can't buy a ticket on them.
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-only-a ... 1721003315

Well, besides Janet obviously, meaning regularly scheduled flights.

ridgid727

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 am

Janet Airlines flies right into area 51, but you can't buy a ticket on them.
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-only-a ... 1721003315

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 am

Not terribly close. It’s in the middle of the restricted area and surrounded by mountains. The most would be a distant glimpse. TTR on the west side is visible, but not as classified anymore.

GF

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:32 am

Coming in to LAS on the SUNST4 if the sun and air quality are right, you can easily see the area where the nuclear testing occurred, and if you know what to look for, you can see the ridge line that sits along the west side of Groom Lake and make out the lake bed that contains the buildings and runways, which are blocked from view by the previously mentioned ridge line. On the arrival and over BTY, look back towards the Northeast.

opticalilyushin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am

I've seen it, and the nuclear test area from quite some distance whilst on a flight from Vegas - SFO, even got a pic with my good camera lens, but it's nothing you couldn't already see on Google Earth etc.

BravoOne

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I have flownclose enough that the runways were visible. Early Sunday morning flight from SAN to SLC while talking to Nellis radar. When queried Nellis about the airport I could see their response went something like, "You can see that""......:Turn right 40 degreesa' kind of funny. Also had the airport show up in my Nav Data Base (NDB) for a one month cycle . No bid deal.

aklrno

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am

Not only are civilian aircraft forbidden from Area 51, most Air Force pilots are as well. During the Nellis Red Flag exercises you can track the position of all aircraft from the auditorium/control room where non-active pilots watch the festivities. There is a red box on the screen. Any unauthorised pilot who flies into the red box is grounded. The name/purpose of the red box is not described, but one can guess. I asked a question about it and was suggested to change the subject.

Even if you can see Groom Lake lakebed and the runways, you aren't close enough to see aircraft details. When a recon satellite is overhead the planes are not outside. Even the places they might have been parked outside are covered to prevent leaving an IR shadow on the ground.

Whiteguy

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Just yesterday flying YYC to LAX, over LAS you can usually look north and see the Groom Lake complex if it's clear enough. I know during the holiday season it's possible to get more direct routings that bring you closer because most of the military air space is cold.

Carp12c

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:01 am

Flying back from Nashville in August last year to San Francisco, we flew pretty close to Area 51. Close enough to see the Runways and Groom Lake complex, but I would say it was about 30 miles to the north.

longhauler

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Last summer, when flying LAX-YYZ, we were deviating around CBs when ATC said that if we wanted to remain on that heading, we would have to declare an emergency as we were aiming at restricted airspace. We had no choice but to remain on that heading so declared an emergency.

.... and flew right through the centre of "area 51". We even got a warning on our Jepp Apps on our iPads.

The F/O asked if he should mention to ATC his camera was out. "Nah" I said ... "they have guns around here, best to just get the heck out of here!"

We couldn't see anything anyway. We were above clouds with a lot of weather around.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 am

No where on any aviation chart whether Hi, Low or Sectionals does it annotate the Groom Lake complex as 'Area 51'. It's officially referred to as R-4808N. The north east box of this restricted area is referred to as the "box" or "dreamland" by military pilots participating in Red Flags. As a previous poster stated, a military pilot straying into the box is usually sent home to sulk and ponder his nav errors.

Less than 25 miles NE of the 'box' is the Desert MOA which is not restricted although airliners will not be cleared into it when active. However a puddle jumper flying VFR can cozy up (20 miles or so) to the complex, but better be aware of all the military traffic and in my mind foolish to venture in to that MOA during normal military duty days.

There are no jet airways or victor airways through the entire Nellis range complex to include the MOAs, but on an off day an airliner could be given direct routing through the MOAs but normally not the "R" areas.

fbgdavidson

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:
However, a puddle jumper flying VFR can cozy up (20 miles or so) to the complex, but better be aware of all the military traffic and in my mind foolish to venture in to that MOA during normal military duty days..

Unsurprisingly they don't like that very much (skip to 7:15)
https://youtu.be/9iEyEi20HkA
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 am

fbgdavidson wrote:
RetiredWeasel wrote:
However, a puddle jumper flying VFR can cozy up (20 miles or so) to the complex, but better be aware of all the military traffic and in my mind foolish to venture in to that MOA during normal military duty days..

Unsurprisingly they don't like that very much (skip to 7:15)
https://youtu.be/9iEyEi20HkA

"We've just been buzzed by two F-16 fighters....", when the video clearly shows them as F-15s. Just goes to show how clueless and stupid some of these UFO/Alien searchers are. If indeed they were within 1 mile of the restricted area, and if there are fighters airborne at the time, the jets will be given vectors to investigate. But since these guys were still legal, I assume the pilot didn't get his license revoked or put in jail.