Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

Best credit card for miles...

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 pm

I have read a few articles lately, seen Jennifer Garner on TV talk about the best card ever for airline miles (although I can't recall which one it was, I think it was Capitol One). I have had, for many years the CHASE EXPLORER card for United, it gets me 2 miles for every United purchase and 1 mile for everything else. I know it's not the best one but it sure does add up nonetheless.

I keep getting offers in the mail, one came today that prompted me to ask you folks...it was for the Capital One VENTURE card, with 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3000 in 3 months (easy peasy for business purchases). It's 2 miles for every purchase and I assume I can send the miles accumulated to any airline.

I really only fly United until I hit 100,000 miles, doubt I will ever be GS again, "1k" os now just "Ok" but MP is a great FF program still (although not what it was!)

Any advice for a better card? This VENTURE card does seem much better than my EXPLORER card.

Thanks millions (of miles!)

fbgdavidson

Re: Best credit card for miles...

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:14 pm

But aren't the Capital One cards basically a glorified cashback scheme? You earn "their miles" which are then used to purchase tickets at retail value so whilst you might earn "double miles" that doesn't mean double miles with your airline of choice. I ran the maths for my personal situation (spending $X per year through my accounts and using miles for international premium cabin trips) and I'd be worse off with Capital One than I would with my current setup.

Personally I use American Express Platinum charge card as it earns 5x Membership Rewards on all airline purchases. I can transfer my MR points into any one of a useful number of airline currencies including BA Executive Club where I credit my oneworld flying and hold top tier status. I also keep a BA Chase Visa as this gets you 10% off all BA transatlantic tickets for a $95 annual fee which I recoup several times over each year, in 2009-2015 when I was using it as a my daily spender I got the fee waived based on annual spend. I also have the American Airlines Aviator card which was my primary earner for the last couple of years as I was hoarding AA miles though my plan is to downgrade that to a free version going forward as the Amex and Chase cards cover my needs well enough and I'm not seeing the benefits anymore on the more expensive annual fee versions.

The key with the rewards cards is there is no one size fits all. You have to look at your own personal situation and figure out what works based on your spending patterns and flying habits. For the many people who don't pay their accounts off in full each month the answer is the best credit/chargecard for you is no credit/chargecard. The hefty APRs on these cards mean you're paying a huge amount for those rewards miles in the form of interest.

alggag

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I love the Chase family of cards. Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Unlimited, Freedom, and Ink to take advantage of their respective earning bonuses.

Coal

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:50 pm

UOB Prvi Miles.

Cunard

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:40 am

As already mentioned it has to be the American Express Platinum Card, I have the British Airways card and it works for me :-)

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I have an AMEX Platinum card and have often used it for airline purchases and much more for my business. I believe I’ve banked close to a million. However I have found that outside air travel those points aren’t worth much, like 250,000 points for a Sony Walkman :-)
I will use them for airline travel one day, but 2 business class tickets will virtually wipe out what I’ve banked...so I’m waiting for an amazing First Class flight and hotel to the South Pacific or Kathmandu.
I’ll look into those other CHASE cards. CHASE is both my personal and business bank
Thanks!!!

ACDC8

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:45 pm

In Canada, I find the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard the best. 1.5% back on everyday purchases, 2% back on WestJet flights and if you're WestJet Gold you get 7% - so that can add up very, very quickly. It's simple and easy to use and understand.

evank516

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I split between the jetBlue Airways WorldPlus MasterCard and the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card. Both give me just the right amount of perks. Free checked bag, pay with miles, and easy access to free trips when needed (I racked up enough TrueBlue Points between actual travel and credit card usage to go last minute to MCO). Delta's Gold SkyMiles AMEX also gives you priority boarding which is helpful when you're doing carry on.

JetBlue's card gives you double miles at the grocery store and restaurants as well. I think I get 6x the points for jetBlue purchases.

spacecadet

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 am

Unless you have a very specific airline that you always fly and that AMEX doesn't cover, I don't know why anyone messes around with non-AMEX cards for travel. They have the most airline partners, they have the most bonuses (both in terms of racking up points and transferring them) and if you have a Gold or especially a Platinum card, you get a lot of really useful/valuable other travel benefits like free rental car and hotel room upgrades, $200 airline fee reimbursement per year, free Global Entry/TSA Precheck, free Uber rides, etc.

People overlook the upgrades because they think "well, I don't need anything too fancy" but that's not the point; the point is you get the room or car you would have gotten anyway, but you pay for the one below it. You save money. It helps pay for the cost of the card. (Which is considerable if you have a Platinum, but definitely worth it if you really travel. It pays for itself.)

I have a Chase Sapphire card as well and I never use it because its benefits just aren't nearly as good.

I have gotten more than a few free international trips in business and first class with my AMEX card, and I am not rich. I just use my AMEX for everything, including my 99 cent coffee refills at 7-11. It adds up fast.

N174UA

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I switched from the Alaska Airlines Visa to Delta Amex Platinum about a year ago, mirroring my switch from Alaska to Delta.

The card is great, I received 35,000 miles once I spent $3,000 after the first 3 months. I get 2 miles per dollar I spend on Delta flights, and 1 mile per dollar for everything else. I use the AMEX for everything, and once I reached a total spend of $25k, I earned the MQD waiver and 10,000 MQM's, which put over the threshold to earn Silver Medallion.

Annual fee is $195, but if you use it several times for the Sky Lounge ($30 with card, $60 without) enough times, no fees for checking the first bag, as well as receiving complimentary first class upgrades (once Medallion status is earned) then it easily pays for itself.

I'm eligible to upgrade to the reserve card in March ($495 annual fee, but complimentary lounge access), but not sure if I will. Depends on the MQM bonus offer... ;)

LH658

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 am

Any family credit cards that allow your family pull points together for airfare and hotels?

lysflyer

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:23 am

Does anyone know if i can subscribe a Miles & More credit card if i live in France ?