Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

OPINION: How American Dropped the Ball With Their New Cabin

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Before I begin, I would just like to say that this flight could have been an isolated incident and MAY NOT be representative of all American Airlines aircraft. I would also like to say that I will, in fact, be flying American Airlines at least once more (and probably more in the future). This is just my critique of the new interior based on my experience and shouldn’t be taken as slandering the company.

I haven’t flown American in almost 2 years, and the last time I did, was on a newly fitted 738 with the sky interior, but old AA seats. And it was fine. Clearly aged, but fine.

Today, I flew ship N109UW, an older A320 in American’s fleet. Having flown both the oldest and newest US Airways interiors and enjoyed both, I had high hopes for the new AA A320’s.

The seat itself was just fine. It was soft, thick and pretty much everything I could ask of a typical economy class seat. My issues began when I realized that the legroom from previous generations of US Airways A320’s compared to this current setup, had been drastically shrunk. I am 6’5” so no amount of airline legroom will exactly be enough, but this had just gone too far. Far enough that the CRJ200 I flew in shortly after seemed better in comparison.

Furthermore, every airbus I have ever flown on had superior window size and view compared to Boeing, Bombardier and Embraer, which always made flying on Airbus a more exciting experience for me. But on this particular aircraft, the window not only seemed smaller, but was also much lower than before, which leads me to believe the seats have been raised. This made not only looking out the window difficult, but also compromised any neutral neck position I could have had.

Maybe I’m just salty from the flight, or maybe I’m not the only one that believes the new interior leaves much to be desired. Tell me what y’all think, I’d love to hear it!

Runway28L

Re: OPINION: How American Dropped the Ball With Their New Cabin

Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:05 am

AA hasn't done anything to the LUS A320s other than new seat covers, new bulkhead designs, and 2Ku wifi on some aircraft. All still have the 150 seat comfiguration (12F 138Y). So basically, the A320s have the exact same seats and configuration that existed before the merger.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Re: OPINION: How American Dropped the Ball With Their New Cabin

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Runway28L wrote:
AA hasn't done anything to the LUS A320s other than new seat covers, new bulkhead designs, and 2Ku wifi on some aircraft. All still have the 150 seat comfiguration (12F 138Y). So basically, the A320s have the exact same seats and configuration that existed before the merger.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Yeah I saw the old seats on the CR2, so only new seat covers makes sense. Still, it was far different than any Airbus I’ve flown before. Kinda strange.