Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAEK192
Topic Author

Singapore luggage restriction rules

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi everyone!

I will be soon flying to Singapore with Emirates, departure from Portugal. However, I've a question - Can I take a standard bottle of wine to Singapore in my checked luggage without having any kind of trouble upon arrival in Singapore?

Coal

Re: Singapore luggage restriction rules

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Why would you have any trouble upon arrival in Singapore? You can bring in as much wine as you wine.

Duty free allowances are 1L wine 1L spirits 1L beer or 2L wine 1L beer or 1L wine 2L beer. Anything above you can still bring in but you need to go to the customs office and pay duty.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 pm

AAEK192 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I will be soon flying to Singapore with Emirates, departure from Portugal. However, I've a question - Can I take a standard bottle of wine to Singapore in my checked luggage without having any kind of trouble upon arrival in Singapore?

Are you confusing Singapore with somewhere else? You do realise that Singapore is a very multi-cultural, high-tech, foody and consumer-orientated megalopolis, right?

Crossing over to Malaysia is slightly more restricted, but even then I had no problem bringing several bottles of Champagne across the border when they were still in sealed duty-free bags and I explained they were for a wedding (since I was coming from France and preferred the real stuff (rather than de-alcohol-ed / re-alcohol-ed stuff(*) at three or four times the price)).

(*) The importers get around high import tariffs on wine by distilling off the alcohol, importing, then adding pure alcohol back in. None of the wine you buy in supermarkets there tastes right to me...

AVFCdownunder

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Given the price of wine in Singapore anyone would do well to bring as much in with them as they can.