Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gunnerman
Topic Author

Business class vs economy: how plane food compares on 10 major airlines

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm

A Telegraph article comparing Business and Economy class food. I have the say that the Virgin Atlantic Upper class meal doesn't look too appetising.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/plane-food-how-business-class-compares-to-economy/

Re: Business class vs economy: how plane food compares on 10 major airlines

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

The Emirates meal options look the best. I flew with them recently in economy and had good meals on each flight.

Bongodog1964

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm

The VS upper class meal looks worse than the economy one.

redroo

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Those QF photos are very old

usdcaguy

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Love the pottery-like dishes in Etihad business as well as the way they did the sauce on the main dish. Pretty healthy too. They even did well in economy.

vhtje

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 am

It is a nice idea, but they are not comparing apples to apples. For example, the QF Business plate is clearly a breakfast meal, yet the Economy one is either a dinner or luncheon. The NZ business is a starter yet the Economy is a main. BA's Club is a luncheon starter, but the Economy is a breakfast... and so on. It is hard to draw conclusions when comparisons are invalid.

I like the Cathay Economy meal - that pork looks delicious.

richcandy

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm

No too sure about the VS upper class meal. I am guessing they have picked this one for effect

zrs70

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm

A couple of years ago, I was in UA international first. I hadn't ordered a veggie meal, and all the options were meat on that flight. (SFO-HKG). The FA prepped me pasta from the economy cabin. She presented it beautifully, and it was fab.

gunnerman
Topic Author

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm

My experience is mainly BA's Club World, but I like the look of the Singapore and Cathay Business class meals.

jubguy3

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 am

Wow, the Etihad business class looks great.

readytotaxi

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:07 pm

That Virgin meal, was it a starter? If that was the main meal you are gonna need to eat lots of bread rolls or go hungry.

gunnerman
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 am

Toad in the hole is not a starter but I've heard of a mini version of it for children which can be a starter.

jetwet1

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Having taken many flights over the years in Upper on VS, food comes in two varieties, fantastic or terrible, many times I've ended up getting something from the premium menu. There are two things that VS does know how to do, soups and curries. For some reason they try to do common food, with fancy twists, that really sound bad on paper and end up even worse in reality.

Actually, now that I stop and think about it, they do do a great Christmas dinner and bacon sandwiches, so there, 4 things.

readytotaxi

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Having taken many flights over the years in Upper on VS, food comes in two varieties, fantastic or terrible, many times I've ended up getting something from the premium menu. There are two things that VS does know how to do, soups and curries. For some reason they try to do common food, with fancy twists, that really sound bad on paper and end up even worse in reality.

Actually, now that I stop and think about it, they do do a great Christmas dinner and bacon sandwiches, so there, 4 things.

Yes, their Christmas dinners do come out well. ;)

spacecadet

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 pm

I guess this is just comparing main dishes? I know on ANA, at least, the business class meal is three or four courses. The best airline meal I ever had was the first time I flew business class with them; they do seem to have downgraded just slightly since then. (For example, I had *three* different types of bread on that first trip, plus a really good bottle of olive oil to go with it.) I've flown first and business once each since then and it wasn't as memorable, and I think there's even one fewer course.

But they do feed you pretty well in economy too, though they seem to not really understand what breakfast is. I don't just mean they serve a Japanese breakfast; I mean they serve a *concept* of Japanese breakfast, meaning items we would not necessarily consider breakfast items, but from various other countries, not Japan. For example, once they literally served us a pile of ground beef for breakfast. The entire cabin was laughing about it. But every time, it's something bizarre, like a veal stew, or a pasta primavera, or something else completely inappropriate. It's always some kind of dinner entree with a side of fresh fruit and yogurt.