Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b777a340fan
Topic Author

How well can YUL handle snow falls?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:58 pm

I am scheduled to leave tomorrow, but weather forecasts show 5-8” of snow during the day and 1-3” in the evening. My flight leaves in the evening. There was some snow fall yesterday (but not 5-8”) and everything was on time. I am guessing that Canadians are used to it and can manage like pros. But Im not sure if in these situations, there will be a lot of cancellations or not. I am wondering whether not I should buy a brand new ticket leaving tonight before the storm. I am wondering if I am worrying for nothing. I absolutely have to be in Asia on Friday. I called delta and they said they dont even have a weather bulletin and were quite (rudely) unsympathetic. Last time i fly these clowns

IADCA

Re: How well can YUL handle snow falls?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:21 pm

It's Montreal. They do snow well. That's no guarantee, but there are very few places that are used to dispatching large volumes of flights through significant snowfalls as YUL. 8 inches over the course of a day should not be an issue for the airport. DL might have its own issues, but 8 inches of snow is not going to close YUL.

longhauler

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 pm

It often depends on what airline one flies.

Air Canada (for example) has "snow plans". When things slow during extreme snow events, they know exactly which flights to cancel, who to cancel, where to place crews and have enchanced de-icing contracts set in place. As a result, often from a passenger point of view, it seems like a non-event. (Don't ask about the mayhem going on behind the scenes!)

But ... as noted above, that amount of snow is not anywhere near "extreme". Hopefully, the airline on which you are flying does not use this light amount of snow as an excuse to cancel, consolidate or inconvenience you, as I have noted the "weather, free pass to cancel" gets used a lot when it snows.

IPFreely

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 am

b777a340fan wrote:
I called delta and they said they dont even have a weather bulletin and were quite (rudely) unsympathetic. Last time i fly these clowns

I think Delta's streak is now up to 54 days in a row with no cancellations. So you should have nothing to worry about.

I've flown into Montreal maybe 3 times in my life but once was in & out during a blizzard. Limited data but from that experience I concur with the other posters -- YUL handles snow as well as anywhere.