Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

Off to Tel Aviv tomorrow 12/10: UA90 aboard 77W

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:55 am

My business partner (and best friend) and I are off to Tel Aviv tomorrow night from EWR. We are in Polaris and very excited. We have a reservation at Classified first because I like it there and the food is good. We are going directly to Jerusalem first, then some time on the beach in Tel Aviv.

I booked my hotels through United and their relationship with Hotels.com and I will report now: I was very impressed at how helpful they were, they fixed a huge problem (that wasn’t really anyone’s fault) and were helpful to almost a fault, even calling me back to tell me everything was resolved vs keeping me on hold forever.

We are a bit concerned about recent political events and security issues as a result, but we are also both not the types not to allow these things to prevent us from living.

We must not be alone as the whole flight is full except for perhaps 6-8 seats.

I will be back to report on the trip. I will take photos but I have yet to figure out how to upload them.

Any Israel advice is welcome! Thanks

EricAY05

Re: Off to Tel Aviv tomorrow 12/10: UA90 aboard 77W

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 pm

I just came home from Israel and visited Jerusalem a day after Trump's speech. Loved the city and also felt very safe with so many police/soldiers in the streets. Great that you did not let some relatively minor events in just certain parts of the country scare you! My tip, go to Haifa. If you love California (why would anyone not love California :-D), you will love this place. The Bahai'i temple is beautiful and you get a free guided tour at noon (not on Wednesdays).

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks so much EricAY05.
I’m sure that 4 full days in Jerusalem (or Israel in a week) is woefully not enough time, but I can always go back! I’m going to add your advice to my list, many friends have provided tips - and the list keeps growing! We simply won’t have enough time for everything.
I’m excited for the flight tonight too. I LOVE to fly and especially in a bed seat, and no matter how long the flight is, I get sad when the pilot says “we’ve started our initial decent” or I hear the engines wind down. Silly! Can’t stay up there for 3 days! I am curious to see if UA has finally replaced the paper cup for the ice cream. I loved the globe-bowl, I’m sure they’re very disappointed it didn’t work out. But the old CO sundae in the multi-use tulip shaped glass was fine. Did UA throw them all away?
Do you live in California? Who did you fly?
Thanks again for the tips!
Richard

aklrno

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 am

VC10er wrote:
My business partner (and best friend) and I are off to Tel Aviv tomorrow night from EWR. We are in Polaris and very excited. We have a reservation at Classified first because I like it there and the food is good. We are going directly to Jerusalem first, then some time on the beach in Tel Aviv.

Isn't that flight a 787? Those aircraft are not true Polaris since the new 787's will be the last updated.

BENAir01

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

aklrno wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Isn't that flight a 787? Those aircraft are not true Polaris since the new 787's will be the last updated.

No, UA90 is operated by the 77W, and the other flight is a 772.

To the OP, Israel is a wonderful place to visit. I have been there twice. The first time, we did the classic Jerusalem/Tel Aviv, and also went to Haifa and the Red Sea area, the second time we spent a lot of time in Jerusalem, and then drove down to Eilat, and from there went Into Jordan and saw Petra. Both were absolutely incredible and even just walking around the old city without any tour or specific thigs to look for is fascinating.

aklrno

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 am

BENAir01 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
VC10er wrote:

No, UA90 is operated by the 77W, and the other flight is a 772.

To the OP, Israel is a wonderful place to visit. I have been there twice. The first time, we did the classic Jerusalem/Tel Aviv, and also went to Haifa and the Red Sea area, the second time we spent a lot of time in Jerusalem, and then drove down to Eilat, and from there went Into Jordan and saw Petra. Both were absolutely incredible and even just walking around the old city without any tour or specific thigs to look for is fascinating.

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking of SFO-TLV

steveinbc

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 am

I've been a regular visitor (4-5 times per year) for the past 7 or 8 years and I honestly don't think you want 4 days in Jerusalem. I would suggest two days maximum avoiding a Friday if possible since the city is packed with worshippers on that day. In Jerusalem I would see the wailing wall, take an underground tour of the ancient temple and enjoy the market area and if you're religious view the mount of olives and the church of the holy sepulchre.
Tel Aviv beaches are awesome and is a major foodie zone. Heading to southern Tel Aviv to the ancient port of Jaffa is well worth your time too.
Caesarea about a 40 minute drive on the coast North of Tel Aviv is fabylous and easily xombined with a trip to Haifa. Visit the German section where at this time of year you will have hand crafted Christmas gifts
Anyhow you will have a wonderful time. Bon voyage

DaveFly

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm

My daughter’s family lives in a suburb of Tel Aviv, so I travel there often. All the suggestions above are very good. If you enjoy the beach, give some consideration to a trip to Eilat. I would also suggest some hiking at Ha’Sharon Park along the Mediterranean coast. Haifa is wonderful too, and it’s a very diverse city with great cooperation between Arabs and Jews. As for Jerusalem, I’ve always felt very safe even during political turmoil. I do avoid the Muslim quarter of the Old City, to be honest. Oh, and you and your partner should also consider one of the spas at the Dead Sea — very healthy and great fun.

VC10er
Topic Author

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 am

Hey everyone,
I haven’t had time to post my report- but I will upon my return

THANKS SO MUCH for all the tips. I clearly need to come back. While we crammed a lot in, I feel like we only scratched the surface. I loved Jerusalem and we are now off to Tel Aviv until we fly home Sunday night.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 pm

At Tel Aviv airport. I promise a full report, however I must report now on the DAN lounge UA uses.

WHAT A DUMP!!! Never, ever have I seen anything close to this bad. It seems Delta uses it too?

OA260

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am

VC10er wrote:
At Tel Aviv airport. I promise a full report, however I must report now on the DAN lounge UA uses.

WHAT A DUMP!!! Never, ever have I seen anything close to this bad. It seems Delta uses it too?

Agreed used it last year and its like a cattle market with very limited food options.