Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cincydavid
Topic Author

flying with college age kids...

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm

We're planning a trip CVG-TPA or RSW in March 2018, with 3 college age kids. My dilemma is this, my wife and I have enough Delta SkyMiles to fly First Class but not enough to have the whole group up front. Do we sit in the "cheap seats" with the kids or give them their space we we "luxuriate" in the blue vinyl First Class seat of an MD88 (or CRJ900) by ourselves?!?

zrs70

Re: flying with college age kids...

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

For CVG-TPA/RSW - I would not spend the miles for F. Save the miles for something else.

cincydavid
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm

We really only fly that route, about 4x a year, and that's the extent of our travel for the most part (creatures of habit). I know in my heart my bride will want to sit with the kids anyway, just trying to carve out a little one-on-one time.

aklrno

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 pm

I agree that the upgrade isn't worth it for a short flight, but if it were a longer one I think it would depend on who is paying. If you are buying their tickets, they should be happy to sit in the back by themselves. If they are paying their own way, I'd sit back with them.

cincydavid
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm buying...I can't wait till they graduate, get "big kid jobs" and start paying their own way through life.

jetwet1

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm

I just had this conversation with a friend who's kids are now old enough to be left alone. I put it a little more simply than Aklrno, though his explanation is good, mine was tell your kids, "when they can afford to sit up front, they get to sit there, while I am paying, they can sit in the back"....As college kids, they are old enough to understand this.

AAlaxfan

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 am

Let them sit in back. If the mrs. really wants to be back there with them, you sit in the last row of Comfort + and have them sit behind you. Make sure to recline into them!! Otherwise sit up front away from them if you want to use your points.

cincydavid
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I did some price shopping last night, and nobody can touch Delta's pricing except Allegiant. We can all fly RT on an Allegiant A320 for $600 less than it would cost to have the 3 kids fly coach on Delta, and we burn up a bunch of SkyMiles. I may just grab Allegiant tickets and save the SkyMiles for something else altogether.

There's a pretty good chance that at least one leg on DL would be in a CRJ900 also, and I'm NOT A FAN.